Contest Official November Green Birdsnest Growout Thread

jamesdong009

Anthony
Thank You to those who attended the meeting and entered into the contest .

As stated before, members who signed up for the contest, must have been present at the meeting to pick up your free contest frag.

Here are the rules, which are subject to change, based upon previous contests:
- All participants must be paid members before receiving your coral
- Growout coral must be picked up in person at the November 12th Meeting
- Post your setup, your tank maintenance and treatment of incoming corals
- Take a photo of the frag within 2 weeks of acquiring it, regardless of treatment administered and condition of the tank (No Photoshop)
- Make sure to measure your frag with the ruler provided.
- Continue to monitor you system with bi-weekly or at least monthly photos of the coral and status updates and changes made to your system.
- At the end of the allotted time frame, we will judge the best grow out and declare a winner. The time frame will be 5 months, which will be around the April 2018 meeting.
- Since the frags may vary in size, the winner will be chosen by the percentage new growth
- Prize is $50 GC to the sponsor of your choice.
- Lastly, Have Fun! :D

IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU PARTICIPATE IN THE OFFICIAL GROWOUT THREAD. YOU CAN HAVE THE MOST GROWTH BUT WITHOUT MONTHLY POSTS, YOU WILL NOT WIN THE CONTEST.

Here's a list of members who picked up their corals:

1) Chris A.
2) Platehead
3) aresangel
4) AlbertG
5) madducks42
6) Bendint
7) JeanR
8) Phinfan
9) Marshall O
10) Turbosnail
11) jamesdong009

Please shoot me a PM if I missed your name. Good luck everyone!

Looks to be 1" on the nose.

72 bow front,
2 black box led.

Water change every 3 weeks [emoji50]
No dosing
No dipping.

Leaving it on my frag rack about 12 inches below the surface of the water.
e8d405efefd85aab312d71d235fd1ce4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9f60a41b115c8231ec8845a2f6c76c16.jpg

It’s starting to color back up! It was brown when I first put it in the tank. I have it 3/4 high in my tank.

6’ 125 with (3) generic 120W led lights. I 2-part dose using BRS dosers to maintain parameters. I keep Alk at 9.3 and Calc at 420. I’m having phosphate issues (.09) which is why my tank looks terrible! I use a big skimmer, and a refugium (although my chaeto died somehow, which explains all the algae inside the tank). I am terrible at water changes, although I plan to do weekly changes (10 gallons). I use Reef Crystals for salt.

F274D92A-D9C3-4487-AF28-3475CAC9F0F7.jpeg

So here’s my frag
It’s in a 29 biocube with nanobox lg retro plus LED’s
Mixed reef that might turn mostly sticks soon lol
Alk 8
Calcium 420
Mag 1350
No3 5-10
Salinity 35

Don’t do regular water changes dose diy 2 part and vodka
feed frozen before lights out and pellets around 4 pm when I get home from work.

Here's our frag and tank info:

- 90 gallon mixed reef, fish get frozen food daily, spot feed corals twice a week with reef chili and reef roids
- Two Hydra 52's (Lights on at 8am, 4 hour ramp up/down, moonlight for a couple of hours, completely off by midnight.
- Alk 9.2, Cal 420, Mag 1400 (Use BRS 2 part dosing system)
- Weekly 10% water changes

b73de75e5ba2343cd7a1f2a6fc7b0c45.jpg
mine fell off its base in transit but in a 120 with 29 sump no dosing and its under led lighting that was just switched from halides

This looks like a short list since so many forgot to post pics as well ;).

Here are the list of people in the running:
aresangel
Marshall O
Chris A.
madducks42
Bendint

This looks like a short list since so many forgot to post pics as well ;).

Here are the list of people in the running:
aresangel
Marshall O
Chris A.
madducks42
Bendint

Sweet, I have a 20% chance of winning! Mine aren’t dead yet at least [emoji2]

Maybe better! The bottom 1/4 inch of mine looks like it is running away! (White as can be). Hoping it comes back!

Update #2,

Like I mentioned in my play growout my hopes of wining is to post a photo of a dead/dying frag in hopes everyone else forgets to post!

No new growth... in fact looks like it went down an 16tg of an inch! I must have measured wrong!

c25f2c1f1c8e3657540d3523e6817f2e.jpg

Update #2 - Well our fish might be dying but all the corals in our tank are doing awesome including this birdsnest frag!

Last edited:
Update
Mine has changed color to a very crisp white color morph
Thank you bta

[emoji23]

I moved mine to the school tank before it completely died.

So my update will be soon. But my tank eats birdsnests for breakfast apparently. I got a decent frag from Dong thinking a small colony will do better... that is now dead so I am happy I moved it!

My new tank parameters (and if this is against the rules disqualify me). 25 gallon tank with a 24” 50/50 reefbrite xho led bar. No added flow but I am using a canister filter as flow/biological filter/carbon filter.

Wow! I forgot to take a photo of mine before break. I will update the group the first week of January. Mad ducks it looks like you are running away with this one!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Holy smokes! Mine made a darn good recovery st school!
986242a66d53c6bbd8be772279df24fe.jpg

Terrible angle but it looks to me like 1.5-1.75 inches. I need to get my smaller ruler that is more manageable. But here is my beginning of January update. I will try again in a couple weeks!

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back