Fiji shuts down all coral and live rock exports...

Thanks for the update! I read the news on the 28th but didn’t know what happened since then. With Hawaii on hiatus and now Fiji, we are going to have to rely on aquaculture more and more in the future. Which means prices for lps will most likely be higher than sps because of the slower growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately this is real and no joke.
Walt Smith has just laid off most of its employees.

Thanks for the update! I read the news on the 28th but didn’t know what happened since then. With Hawaii on hiatus and now Fiji, we are going to have to rely on aquaculture more and more in the future. Which means prices for lps will most likely be higher than sps because of the slower growth.

New this would ultimately happen and honestly I think it's whats best for the hobby and the wild. I can't remember the last captive piece I've put in my tank...

Unfortunately this is real and no joke.
Walt Smith has just laid off most of its employees.

Seems like they are getting the raw end of the deal. From what I read it looked like the company was set up with the support of the government to try and save the wild collecting of corals by mariculturing and all the corals they were growing can't be exported due to the blanket ban...

It is kind of strange as WSI is the only exporter in Fiji now.

That makes more sense

I hope this is just a way of the government to cut out the middle man ( WSI )
Unless they keep up with what he was doing on replenishing the destroyed reefs , they won’t have reefs to protect in a decade

Fiji filed 0 quota for coral to CITES for 2018, so there will be none for export.

Now the industry still have Australia and Indo, Vietnam was pretty much done I heard due to over harvesting.

Yes sorry I meant I can't remember the last piece that wasn't aquacultured that went into my tank... It was too early for me to post on not enough sleep lol

More coffee?

It is a blanket ban, including aquacultured coral. OMG

At this rate we might have to get permits to own a reef tank but this just means people are going to up the price on everything and make this hobby hurt ours pockets

It impacts SPS especially acro more, unfortunately.
With Tonga out of action for years now, Aussie is what's left for beautiful SPS.

Sadly no amount of decrease in harvest of corals in that region is likely to stop the decline. Temps are just rising too fast for the coral to adapt. Bleaching events will only increase over the next few decades until many of these equatorial regions have vast areas that are dead. I surmise that in time the reefs will migrate both north and south of the equator, but this will take a long time, and some of the really slow growing species will probably not be able to adapt. If you want to see what the real reefs look like time is running low, strap on your tank and make some bubbles.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back