Using Standard 75 for a Sump

ReefAddict

BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
In the coming months I’m planning a new Build. It’s gonna be a 180-240. I’m considering using as a sump a standard 75 gallon.

What are you opinions of me cutting out the center brace for this application. Now I know it is a very bad idea if using this tank for a display and I would not do it. I am thinking it might be alright for a sump as it will only be holding around 60 gallons or less of water. Most sections will be no more than 5/8 to 3/4 full. The end section I am going to have as a Refugium so that will be maybe a little more than 3/4.

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imho if you planning to section the tank off by adding baffles and such go for it

That was in my thoughts also. I plan on adding several glass baffles. Siliconing them in front to back. Wouldn’t that add the front to back stability?

Is there a reason to remove the trim from a sump tank? IMO the baffles are not going to aid all that much with structural integrity. I would at least entertain a eurobrace of some type.

Is there a reason to remove the trim from a sump tank? IMO the baffles are not going to aid all that much with structural integrity. I would at least entertain a eurobrace of some type.

Not the trim. I will keep the trim. Standard 75 has a center brace. That is what I am referring to.

Ah my bad. If it were me, I'd feel ok at a 50% fill, but absolute max. A 55 bows out pretty dangerously when those center braces go, a 75g 75% full lets say could get a little sketchy long term. My final 2 cents :) Acrylic maybe? Use 2x 40b tanks piped together?

I have a 72 bowfront. When I got it I snagged it for 40 bucks (stand included!). But the center brace was busted. I did a water test on it and it moved 2 inches further on initial fill. At the widest part it went from 22” to 24”!!! Scared me so I added an acrylic brace to the good part... that busted out. I added two more braces (3 total) and it was finally stable.

I would keep the brace and just work around it. Not worth a future failure to easier access in my opinion.

Tim

currently In the same process looking to acquire a lightly used 75g. I ended up going with an ebay baffle sump kit instead of building acrylic to cut to size. I think 75g makes the perfect size sump for 150-240+ range.

I agree with keeping the brace. If power goes out, your DT will drain to your sump potentially filling it to max volume at which point you could have a problem with sump integrity...

Why are you cutting out center braces when you have a fish room?

I wouldn’t mess with that personally....

I know but the center sections is planned for the return section and will have plumbing coming out of it. A crossbrace in the way will suck.

currently In the same process looking to acquire a lightly used 75g. I ended up going with an ebay baffle sump kit instead of building acrylic to cut to size. I think 75g makes the perfect size sump for 150-240+ range.

I agree. Are you gonna cut out the pesky center cross brace?

You gotta figure siliconing all those baffles back to front is going to add tons of support, no?

No I would not remove any factory bracing theyre engineered that way for a reason. You should have no problem putting the baffles in sideways and just turning them 90 degrees. And with the silicone theres no great way to bond acrylic and glass together. What you said is pretty much how ive done it before with a seam of silicone on either side. Remember also that When the sump is filled the water on either side of the baffle will kind of cancel out each others pressures.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back