Show me your basement sump/ fish rooms

Mr. Leemr

BRS Member
Well, it looks like within the next month or two i will be moving into a new house. I will be moving my current system (40b with a 20g fuge) to the basement initially in order to eventually set up a sump/fish room with a large DT upstairs in the living room.
I’d like to get some feed back from people who currently have a similar set up and what they would/would not do if they had to do it over again and why. I’d also like to see some pics of these setups in order to draw some ideas from. Thanks in advance
Mike L.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There’s so much I learned from doing it and so much I wish I did different which I’ve been changing or plan to change.
Few things off the top of my head:
- make sure sump is near a sink / drain on floor
- make sure there’s plenty space in case you plan to add large equipment (barrels, frag tank, etc.)
- try to be close to right under the DT
- do your wiring neatly first time around
- make sure electrical equipment area is close to sump in case new equipment down the line has shorter wires and will not reach
- make sure you have sufficient power outlets to handle draw
- have ventilation to outside air
- thoroughly plan plumbing and with expansion in mind
- make the space pleasant since you’ll be spending a lot of time there

Few pics:
45f0a14546cececb38a05e9943e588c4.jpg
642a1df0c9b6791ae3255b6ddaa62b3e.jpg
daf02a6f064c868a505649f5dc7cd7ad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input, I like the clean setup. I’m going to try and keep all my equipment up off of the floor because I’m sick and tired of working on the floor. I may also try to incorporate more of a desk/ testing area as well.

@Arsalan, Does that gooseneck light have a Cat cable going into it, or is that the juice?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Here is my setup. The sump is in the basement directly below my DT. Not nearly as neat as Arsalan's. But its functional. I DEFINITELY second the ventilation l. I need to add an exhaust fan or something. The humidity in my basement gets up to 80% in the summer because of it causing me to have to run a dehumidifier 24/7 which uses a lot of electricity and $$.
20181227_125913.jpg
20181227_125904.jpg
20181227_125854.jpg

Thanks for the input, I like the clean setup. I’m going to try and keep all my equipment up off of the floor because I’m sick and tired of working on the floor. I may also try to incorporate more of a desk/ testing area as well.

Yeah I agree it would definitely help to have everything within reach so you're not having to reach too high or too low. My frag tank is a little high so it's not always easy to reach every part, but I needed that height for the sump clearance below it. I didn't have a lot of space to work with so I tried to keep everything compact.
I do have a 10' workbench I built facing it where I do all my testing/fragging etc, but a desk with a computer chair would have been awesome too if I had room for it.
image1.jpeg

@Arsalan, Does that gooseneck light have a Cat cable going into it, or is that the juice?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Hey Paul, no that's just a USB cable powering the tablet on the wall.

There’s so much I learned from doing it and so much I wish I did different which I’ve been changing or plan to change.
Few things off the top of my head:
- make sure sump is near a sink / drain on floor
- make sure there’s plenty space in case you plan to add large equipment (barrels, frag tank, etc.)
- try to be close to right under the DT
- do your wiring neatly first time around
- make sure electrical equipment area is close to sump in case new equipment down the line has shorter wires and will not reach
- make sure you have sufficient power outlets to handle draw
- have ventilation to outside air
- thoroughly plan plumbing and with expansion in mind
- make the space pleasant since you’ll be spending a lot of time there

Few pics:
45f0a14546cececb38a05e9943e588c4.jpg
642a1df0c9b6791ae3255b6ddaa62b3e.jpg
daf02a6f064c868a505649f5dc7cd7ad.jpg

You cleaned it all up nice! Looks great!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Fish room No sump down there though
da9b83f943af156c6b4a2d6f3d710743.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Mine is not in the basement but in my garage. Is nice to have all the room you want.

Attachments

• 20181222_141020.jpg
    20181222_141020.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 276
  • 20181229_205432.jpg
    20181229_205432.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 260
Very nice, I love that frag tank. Where did you get that thing.
Are you using a separate ato reservoir or just pumping out of the brutes?

The tank is a low boy. I drilled it and plumbed it to my DT is fed by my manifold and it drains into my refugium and then to the return. You can get the tank online for 150.00

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back