Another Lighting Thread (Questions)

BiGGiePauls33

Current BRS President
Staff member
Officer
BRS Member
So once again I find myself wondering what type of lighting do I want to have over this 40 Breeder. I've looked at eBay BB's, t5's, Reef Breeders Photon v2's, Radions, Kessils, Ati Sunpowers, Giesemann and AO Hydra's.
Curious as to what people are running.
What gives the best color and growth?
Why did you pick the light?

I currently have been running an AI Prime (Non HD) since they were released. I downloaded a profile off their website of a user and have had great results in both SPS and LPS growth. I wanted to go Reef Breeders 48" for a 120 gallon but now with a smaller tank, only 36" in length I'd have to settle on a 32" light and then purchase a longer light when I upgrade the tank.
I may be better off going with an AI Hydra 52. This way here I can always add on.

What are your thoughts?

I had one v2 over a 93...I upgraded my tank then added another 32.. maybe I'm missing something, but I think you will need to purchase another light either way

I had one v2 over a 93...I upgraded my tank then added another 32.. maybe I'm missing something, but I think you will need to purchase another light either way

Nope, not missing anything. I was just going on size of lights. If I get a 32 for the 40B, then I'd need a 16 v2 plus the reef link. Just trying to stay cost effective. If I go with a Hydra 26 and then add another it's only $700, instead of $1000.

Nope, not missing anything. I was just going on size of lights. If I get a 32 for the 40B, then I'd need a 16 v2 plus the reef link. Just trying to stay cost effective. If I go with a Hydra 26 and then add another it's only $700, instead of $1000.

Hydra 26 hd pair
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...threads/Hydra-26-hd-pair.162917/&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A 32 inch photon v2+ is 220w, it can light up a 48 inch tank. Two Hydra26HD is 180w total.
The photon v2+ has two years of warranty.
Hydra has one year and from my past experience, you really need the warranty for Hydra based on how frequent they have issues after a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are going to upgrade in the future then the hydras are nice because you can just add more vs the photon which is one size. I would recommend at least two 26's for a three foot tank. I have three hydra 26's on a four foot tank with T5 supplements and I am happy with them so far (18 months).

Also - There is a separate argument on the eclectic bill with the MH because you spend less money heating your tank..

Last edited:
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back