Properly shutting down a tank?

UMan101

Non-member
Hey guys,

Just about done selling off all the livestock in my tank. Getting close to shutting the tank down. I'm worried that when I power it down it'll start to smell (no water flow, algae dying, random die off, etc). It's located in my living room so I want to keep it as smell free and as clean as possible

Any suggestions on how best to go about this?

Thoroughly clean it out with vinegar and make sure its completely dry after.

Hey guys,

Just about done selling off all the livestock in my tank. Getting close to shutting the tank down. I'm worried that when I power it down it'll start to smell (no water flow, algae dying, random die off, etc). It's located in my living room so I want to keep it as smell free and as clean as possible

Any suggestions on how best to go about this?
Thoroughly clean it out with vinegar and make sure it's completely dry after. I didn't do that with a nano tank and lemme tell you the combination of rotten eggs and low tide was unbearable.

Generally a tank with just salt water will not start to smell bad. What happens (generally) is that there's a lot of sulfate in salt water. If there are areas of low oxygen certain bacteria can use the sulfate as a respiration source, converting it into hydrogen sulfide (stinky). So if you've left any sand behind (like at least a 1/2 inch) or any rock and there is no water motion, then the hydrogen sulfide might start to accumulate.

Generally a tank with just salt water will not start to smell bad. What happens (generally) is that there's a lot of sulfate in salt water. If there are areas of low oxygen certain bacteria can use the sulfate as a respiration source, converting it into hydrogen sulfide (stinky). So if you've left any sand behind (like at least a 1/2 inch) or any rock and there is no water motion, then the hydrogen sulfide might start to accumulate.

well put! this is a solid breakdown makes sense. thanks for the info

The proper way to break down a tank is to use a sledge hammer. One swing and you are all set... then call the cleaning company and tell them you have a dinner party of one...like John Wick did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back