Took over 4 years.. but back in the hobby :)

Blitzburggirl

Non-member
Hi Boston Reefers!!

Sometime in early Feb I decided to take the old ATO from my 180 and turn it into a little reef. It was a Marineland 10 gallon half moon. So pretty small, tall and would be perfect for a little reef. I put so of my dry rock in there, along with some pellets and water, and started it up in my basement. It ran for about a month or so, and I decided to bring it upstairs. While upstairs, I noticed a very small leak, so I ended up buying a 29 gallon Biocube from a fellow reefer.

When I thought I was going to build the 10 gallon, I chose a small footprint light that I picked up from Dong. I would say it’s quite unusual, in that searches of other forums have only turned up 2 hits for others using it. I like it. It is easy and seems like the coral like it. The app that runs it is quite simple (love the app!) as well. I’m not sure I’ll stick with it though, as the footprint of my tank is now much wider than anticipated, and the mounting bracket (which is simple/great) doesn’t provide the stretch to get to the center of the tank. Right now while I’m just starting with small frags it isn’t a big deal. The light is a Brightek Cetus 2. If anyone has an old Sunpod 150 laying around, we should talk!

I still need to add more live rock. Originally plan was a 10 gallon, so not enough for a 29. I have more cycling at the moment. For now though, I have no fish, my corals are small, and my light is small footprint, I’m in no rush. Besides, if the right larger piece with interesting corals were to come available, I have room.

Stocking plan… I am the most non committal person on the planet. I haven’t decided yet. I love anemones, and if I were to find a smallish healthy gig this will become a species tank. Or a beautiful RBTA and clown tank. Or… I’ve always wanted to try to keep pipes/gorgs/nps. I’ve even considered a couple damsels and call it a day. (I’ve been in the hobby 20 years lol- I’ve had and admired a lot of beautiful fish.. but those damsels- so beautiful!)

I had a 60 cube at one time and had a Potter’s angel in there.. felt too small, so I won’t be adding one to this tank (thought about it!) I once made a promise to God that I’ll never have another 6 line wrasse.. so that is out. I need to find a stocking plan with either pop or massive interest. Suggestions!? I set up the most standard and boring tank- ever. Maybe bonsai type aquascaping? LOL

First corals added to the tank on April 24, 2019. Thank you Dong! Light was in acclimation mode.

Second set added on May 4, 2019 following visit to KOR.

Thank you for looking!!

Attachments

• FTS 2019April24.jpg
    FTS 2019April24.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 550
  • FTS 2019May04 top down.jpg
    FTS 2019May04 top down.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 527
  • FTS 2019May04.jpg
    FTS 2019May04.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 529
You have some cool rocks.

I think it is a lot of fun to plan the direction you're heading with a tank...

So. My BC29 tank now just hit between 5-6 months. I’m an “experienced” reefer.. but damn. Every tank is different.

Not to provoke Karma.. but I’ve added 3 fish. All are well. 2 snapping shrimps. Both are happy and expose themselves frequently. A handful of clean up.. snails and crabs are alive. May have lost a few microscopic hermits.. but I doubt it.

Corals.. from SPS to LPS. All well and happy.

But my tank is sooooo cloudy!!
I started with an undersized light from Dong (footprint changed.) All looked FANTASTIC!!

Added 2 gobies and a Mandy and two snapping shrimps. Biota Mandy was insanely small... and have been adding phyto, pods and feeding (for me) heavy.

Then I found a hydra for sale (supposed to be only a couple years old.)

Bought it. Put it on the tank. For the last month-dig... I’ve been dealing with cloudy tank.

I was worried about bacterial bloom. Paid attention to water movement and changes to avoid a low o2 situation. Every one is fine but damn. Still cloudy.

I use Reef crystals. All parameters have been good.. (yeah.. Am 0, nitrate 5 (omg I’ve fought nitrates before and 90 didn’t have symptoms AND was shocked due to heavy feeding. Nitrite 0, PH typically 8.4 ish, haven’t tested Ca and Mg.. but have kits and will if advised to do so. Don’t think it will help.)

At first I thought the phyto went nuts. And I DO have a pod explosion. The tank does have more sunlight than I’d ideally choose, but.. my 180 had more and no issues. I did buy some macro algae’s that seemed to “melt.” I’ve pulled them, but expected high nitrate due to dissolveing organics. Nope.

I posted a thread about my fishes.. but I want to clear this up!

I added (2 weeks ago) carbon bag and filter pad. I changed filter pad three times and totally removed tonight. I put purigen in tonight.

I am about to switch the light back.. just to see if it makes a difference. No nuisance algae.. so low motivation to do so. (Also why the natural light isn’t as worrisome....) I have a very modest clean up crew.

Attachments

• DD2B7AA0-3DC7-4531-AB0F-98AAD26E66A0.jpeg
    DD2B7AA0-3DC7-4531-AB0F-98AAD26E66A0.jpeg
    56.7 KB · Views: 448
  • F9EB8785-8EC0-4C8D-8EEC-0B0A5CDD209C.jpeg
    F9EB8785-8EC0-4C8D-8EEC-0B0A5CDD209C.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 416
No idea what's happening, try running some carbon maybe. Ooops never mind just re-read the above post. Water change perhaps. Also, could be something spawning in tank. Snails etc.

So your saying prior to the light upgrade everything was ok. Have you added anything since the AI Hydra? Maybe elevated levels of CA and MG not dissolving correctly. I had an issue with extremely elevated levels of both while using Reef Crystals. I use IO now and maybe switching over to ESV in the near future.

Also, I'm sure someone that is more experienced than I will chime in. Could sen in an ICP test to see what's going on as well. Good Luck, following along to see results.

You know.. I thought it may be spawning. I thought it may be phyto.. or even a macro gone sexual. But it’s been at least 2 weeks.. which is more than both of those.

So your saying prior to the light upgrade everything was ok. Have you added anything since the AI Hydra? Maybe elevated levels of CA and MG not dissolving correctly. I had an issue with extremely elevated levels of both while using Reef Crystals. I use IO now and maybe switching over to ESV in the near future.

I read some stuff about RC. Truthfully.. I used RC for over 10 years with no issue. My ex literally had a store for about the same time with no issue. (I constantly chased mag.. but the result was soooo different.)

I’m an old school halide reefer and would LOVE nothing more than to blame it on the hydra.. but really.. wouldn’t it just be a nuisance algae mess? I did have a tiny bit of hair algae.. and diatoms maybe.. but that is 100% gone. Part of the reason I considered it may be the pods/phyto out competing nuisance algae.

I read some stuff about RC. Truthfully.. I used RC for over 10 years with no issue. My ex literally had a store for about the same time with no issue. (I constantly chased mag.. but the result was soooo different.)

I’m an old school halide reefer and would LOVE nothing more than to blame it on the hydra.. but really.. wouldn’t it just be a nuisance algae mess? I did have a tiny bit of hair algae.. and diatoms maybe.. but that is 100% gone. Part of the reason I considered it may be the pods/phyto out competing nuisance algae.
I've strictly run LED's for the past 4 years and have never encountered such a thing. Sorry that your experiencing the cloudy water.

My RODI is a 0ppm courtesy of the RODI unit I won at Frag Farmers Market and measured by TDS meter bought on Amazon recently. Also.. haven’t tested CA and Mg as color and growth (unrelated but polyp extension) have been great. I do have test kits, just reluctant to crack them open.

I just read something quick over on R2R about precipitation. i'd say definitely test alk, ca and mg. to zero that out.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back