Meetings

Cpage101

Current BRS Vice President
Officer
BRS Member
Picture for attention. (my dragon soul favia)
9D0F5EAB-F053-43F8-98BD-FF72B4B28142.jpeg

Hello all,
I just wanted to throw this out there. I see we have a lot of great members in our club, many I have coresponded with on our forums. I would love to see more participation at our club meetings. What would you like to see and what keeps you from attending? We have had some great meetings with presenters, vendor/member swaps and sales, people sharing of successes and catastrophes etc.. Summer is over and the kick off of the reefing season is forthcoming. Let us know what you would like to see or hear about at a meeting and what would get you to attend and meet some of our reefing community in person? Happy Reefing

I'd like to see a lot of things, unfortunately we just don't ever get the turnout with members showing up.

For me there are 3 main reasons. 1 being the distance from RI I don't always mind driving but sometimes just don't have the time or there sre no speakers, The bigger reason is most meetings have been on a Saturday, I usually can work overtime on Saturday. I would rather we go back to Sunday meetings. And to throw in my 2 cents about weak turnout at the auction. Auctions needs to be in the spring when everyone is still very active with this hobby. I enjoy the meetings and socializing with everyone. Just have not had a free Saturday. Yes I know there is football on Sundays. lol

For me there are 3 main reasons. 1 being the distance from RI I don't always mind driving but sometimes just don't have the time or there sre no speakers, The bigger reason is most meetings have been on a Saturday, I usually can work overtime on Saturday. I would rather we go back to Sunday meetings. And to throw in my 2 cents about weak turnout at the auction. Auctions needs to be in the spring when everyone is still very active with this hobby. I enjoy the meetings and socializing with everyone. Just have not had a free Saturday. Yes I know there is football on Sundays. lol
Same here. I've been working way too much and Saturdays are a no go for me

I'd love to go but I have too many little kids. My wife doesn't mind my tank, but she will if it's the reason I disappear for half a day on the weekend. Give me a few years, no one will care if I'm here, and I'll be there.

Sundays are fine with me. I've reached out to a few people in the industry about presentations. Maybe we can schedule something in advance and get a confirmed number of people. MASNA will help cover the costs of "verified speakers" but not by much. It's very expensive to fly these people in and pay for their meals and lodging while here. We have a lot of people in this club that have many years of successful reef keeping, maybe someone wants to put together a presentation and or think of exactly what they want from the monthly or even quarterly meetings. Years ago people used to put together "Reefers' Night Out" and stuff like that. Great way to build relationships. I'll be on the road in a couple months and am open to any ideas.

Sundays are fine with me. I've reached out to a few people in the industry about presentations. Maybe we can schedule something in advance and get a confirmed number of people. MASNA will help cover the costs of "verified speakers" but not by much. It's very expensive to fly these people in and pay for their meals and lodging while here. We have a lot of people in this club that have many years of successful reef keeping, maybe someone wants to put together a presentation and or think of exactly what they want from the monthly or even quarterly meetings. Years ago people used to put together "Reefers' Night Out" and stuff like that. Great way to build relationships. I'll be on the road in a couple months and am open to any ideas.

Monthly might be too much. I'd vote to start with quarterly.

The idea is to have large events quarterly ish.

Fragtastic auction and spring and fall speaker. With grow outs DYI and local presenters the other 4 meetings.

I was told Sunday’s were a no no in the fall and winter cause of football.

What do people think of evening meetings or weekday get togethers? I always thought a Wednesday night meeting 6-9 would be decently attended. Thoughts?

Halls often book early and Sundays are popular for birthday parties and hall.

I was told Sunday’s were a no no in the fall and winter cause of football.

Tim, what the hell is football? This is about fish and coral, lol.

I'm open to anything really. Night, day, Saturday or Sunday.

Some ideas I have.
1.) Beginners meeting and possible free easy to keep frag (softy)
2.) DIY meeting.
Coral viewing box (still have one from years ago) 4" pvc coupling and some round cut acrylic.
Man made rocks (I've never done this but seems pretty easy to do.
Aquascaping demo
Fragging corals and or anemones
How to build a frag tank, reactore, etc.
3.) My Name is "such and such" topic meeting

gregg hiller always does a great presentation. Im sure a lot of the newer members have not heard him speak.
He has a couple of different ones one I believe is about disasters and how to prevent them.

I would love a get together. Again the distance thing is tough. The football schedule is out check for the weeks they play at night or a Monday night. I could be wrong but I think we used to have Sunday meetings. Maybe Anthony could verify.

If meetings are small in number maybe at people's house like a tank tour type of meeting leaving it up to the host how many people can attend and do it on a reserve your spot type of thing. This is an easy way to have smaller meetings between the bigger ones and be able to have them at greater distances than usual. Can even be pot luck and call it a reefers dinner. I asked about having a picnic earlier in the summer and would have offered my yard but was told there already was one in the plan which was way to far for me so didn't attend. It's a hard thing to do when you have a lot of members and a region this big. Members seem to be located throughout eastern MA, eastern CT, and all the water down to the southern shores of RI.I love my tank but it can be a longer round trip than I'm happy taking most days. And yes, I do realize it is Boston Reefers Society and not complaining about the meeting locations but Just my 2c.

If meetings are small in number maybe at people's house like a tank tour type of meeting leaving it up to the host how many people can attend and do it on a reserve your spot type of thing. This is an easy way to have smaller meetings between the bigger ones and be able to have them at greater distances than usual. Can even be pot luck and call it a reefers dinner. I asked about having a picnic earlier in the summer and would have offered my yard but was told there already was one in the plan which was way to far for me so didn't attend. It's a hard thing to do when you have a lot of members and a region this big. Members seem to be located throughout eastern MA, eastern CT, and all the water down to the southern shores of RI.I love my tank but it can be a longer round trip than I'm happy taking most days. And yes, I do realize it is Boston Reefers Society and not complaining about the meeting locations but Just my 2c.
Picnic never happened to to people's work schedules, unfortunately. I think going forward we should make an announcement to certain event and if people pay like 5 or 10 dollars up front, that'll show commitment and then go from there.

Picnic never happened to to people's work schedules, unfortunately. I think going forward we should make an announcement to certain event and if people pay like 5 or 10 dollars up front, that'll show commitment and then go from there.
Please don't take this as being directed towards you in particular.

I would love meeting to happen Quarterly. It would be enough time for us to get speakers to come out, plan our busy life’s outside of reefing, and work schedule. I work in restaurants and to get days off I need at least a months notice sometime 2 months notice. I Like the idea of going to fellow Reefers houses to see what they do and how it works for them. Even a night out to get together at a restaurant to talk with other Reefers and to get the community back again.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back