Help, goby and jawfish compatibility

jasonrusso

Non-member
I bought a blue spot jawfish from LA Diver's den about 6 weeks ago. He's been in QT since then and he is ready for the primetime.

My plan was to put him in my 220 fowler to add some color, well my fuzzy dwarf lion spoiled that. He was showing too much interest in him and started "hunting" him back into a corner until I intervened. Thankfully the jawfish was easy to catch and now he's back in QT.

My other tank is a 34 gallon reef. There are a couple clowns, firefish, blenny in there. There is also a bonded tiger shrimp/blue spot goby pair. Can the goby and jawfish get along? It wasn't my plan, but if it can work I don't care.

I don’t have any personal experience but have done a fair bit of research as I’m planning to have one with my trio of two pistols and a black ray goby once I get a bigger tank. As long as they have enough space to have their own territories. So just put the jawfish on the opposite side of the tank as the pair Near a pre-dug hope. You should be good.

I don’t have any personal experience but have done a fair bit of research as I’m planning to have one with my trio of two pistols and a black ray goby once I get a bigger tank. As long as they have enough space to have their own territories. So just put the jawfish on the opposite side of the tank as the pair Near a pre-dug hope. You should be good.
The goby and pistol have dug tunnels all over, lol. One of my fears is the jawfish trying to claim the pistols cave. That won't end well.

I bought a blue spot jawfish from LA Diver's den about 6 weeks ago. He's been in QT since then and he is ready for the primetime.

My plan was to put him in my 220 fowler to add some color, well my fuzzy dwarf lion spoiled that. He was showing too much interest in him and started "hunting" him back into a corner until I intervened. Thankfully the jawfish was easy to catch and now he's back in QT.

My other tank is a 34 gallon reef. There are a couple clowns, firefish, blenny in there. There is also a bonded tiger shrimp/blue spot goby pair. Can the goby and jawfish get along? It wasn't my plan, but if it can work I don't care.
My clownfish pair harassed my former pearly jaw fish and eventually bit off much of its the caudal fin.

The gobies in the same tank didn’t harass the jawfish.

I had a helfrichi firefish that lived in the same den as a tiger shrimp and a flagtail goby.

Might be a toss-up.

Last edited:
Interesting. Not saying that it wouldn't happen, but my clowns only really seem to interact with each other.
Those clowns are black snowflake Amphiprion ocellaris and are also aggressive snail killers.

In contrast the orange extreme misbar ocellaris in another tank stay in the corner of the tank, keep to themselves, and aren't too aggressive.

Those clowns are black snowflake Amphiprion ocellaris and are also aggressive snail killers.

In contrast the orange extreme misbar ocellaris in another tank stay in the corner of the tank, keep to themselves, and aren't too aggressive.
I have midnight clowns.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back