Growing Phytoplankton

Thats not 1-1, if I was doing 2L I would add 1L of Phyto. Im using 1/2 gal jugs so I use 1qt of phyto when I start. When I split I take 1 qt of phyto and then add 1qt of water/fertilizer mix for a 1-1 new mix. With the 1-1 ratio you double your phyto every 5-7 days. Its going to take longer for the phyto to fill the jug.

That is a great suggestion and what I’ve seen recommended. Using less Phytoplankton will take longer, but there is no rush. I don’t know what the white chunks of dead phyto will do to this batch. I may need to strain out the dead phyto or start over with some fresh phyto.

I think the less phyto will also give other things time to grow too which can crash the culture. I notice that in my batches I get other stuff growing at the bottom, I now filter them when splitting so I am only putting phyto in the new batch (As much as I can). Since I started doing that I dont get much crap on the bottom of the bottle. I also use a new clean bottle and add phyto to it rather than adding more water to the existing phyto culture. A bit more work but im not shaking my bottles at all now they just grow nicely till I split them.

Day 7.

Looks pretty dark. Going to wait 2 more days.

D1E2F611-F31F-4D8F-9F73-2150A1AD0FB2.jpeg

I just started another culture. I haven’t had a culture crash yet. I’ve been using a clean bottle and a new piece of tube each time.

I like the mad scientist milk bottle setup. What’s the bottom right container?

I've had my cultures crash a few times but it was from laziness thinking I could reuse the airline tubing and not sanitize properly. I have since changed out how I do my cultures and use fresh distilled water from MB each time I split/harvest. I used to keep the saltwater in a bucket for weeks at a time lol oppps....

I just started another culture. I haven’t had a culture crash yet. I’ve been using a clean bottle and a new piece of tube each time.

I like the mad scientist milk bottle setup. What’s the bottom right container?

The bottom right is Pods. The mad scientist look is because I had an old LED light and did not want to take up the entire work space, and I also had the plastic pieces to make the stand so it worked. I have been cleaning everything each time. I sterilize the bottles and the water before using them. it might be the tubing thats the only piece I did not sterilize I guess I need to cut some extra ones to do that too.

I've had my cultures crash a few times but it was from laziness thinking I could reuse the airline tubing and not sanitize properly. I have since changed out how I do my cultures and use fresh distilled water from MB each time I split/harvest. I used to keep the saltwater in a bucket for weeks at a time lol oppps....

Yea probably airline tubing. Thats the piece I was not doing. But I sanitize everything else. I also sanitize the water I am using to split with in the microwave so I do premix it. But one thing I have found is that I think I am only going to mix the salt and not the fertilizer and just fertilize when I split.

The bottom right is Pods. The mad scientist look is because I had an old LED light and did not want to take up the entire work space, and I also had the plastic pieces to make the stand so it worked. I have been cleaning everything each time. I sterilize the bottles and the water before using them. it might be the tubing thats the only piece I did not sterilize I guess I need to cut some extra ones to do that too.
Looks awesome. Good use for an old LED light.

What pods did you use to start your pod culture? Do you find raising pods any more difficult than growing phytoplankton?

Yea probably airline tubing. Thats the piece I was not doing. But I sanitize everything else. I also sanitize the water I am using to split with in the microwave so I do premix it. But one thing I have found is that I think I am only going to mix the salt and not the fertilizer and just fertilize when I split.

I was given some great advice to just use new RODI tubing every time. It's super cheap and I bought about 100 feet so that's how I've been doing it to keep that part sterilized...

You don’t need a heater. Room temperature is fine. They can keep in the fridge for a couple weeks with a shake each day. I’m not recommending you grow in the fridge just to be clear.
Grow Dark place with 16hrs light 8hrs dark
Good luck with the project.

Last edited:
So I went downstairs today to clean our my crashed (or seemingly crashed bottle) and wouldn't you know it, the whole thing is lime green again so maybe it did not crash it was just all at the bottom. Have no clue why. Im going to leave it running and if it goes clear again ill dump it.

Looks awesome. Good use for an old LED light.

What pods did you use to start your pod culture? Do you find raising pods any more difficult than growing phytoplankton?

There is a guy on reef central that ships them from his culture so I just bought those. I think he said it a mix of different pods. You can probably get a starter from others here, it was just easier in this time to have them shipped to me and was cheaper than buying in the store.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back