Growing Phytoplankton

Noise from a loud air pump has always been the barrier for having a phyto station upstairs. Recently, I found a silent air pump being sold for fresh water tanks. I ordered one and surprisingly, this air pump is completely silent unless you put your ear nearby. There is still some noise from the air bubbles hitting the plastic bottle but the air pump and bubble noise has been other half approved!
What is the brand of this silent air pump?!

Think I found it:

Last edited:
That looks like it. I found a black silicone version on Amazon and took a chance on it. It took 2-3 weeks to arrive from overseas.

Aquarium coop had a video on the silent air pump that they sell which lead me to track one down. I would’ve tried one from aquarium coop if they sold a black version.

What pods did you use to start your pod culture? Do you find raising pods any more difficult than growing phytoplankton?

Pods are pretty easy as long as you have phyto. I bought my pod starter culture from Acgore (they're in RI I think) here's the link - https://agcorefishfood.com/store/p25/Copepod_Blend_-_Tisbe_&_Apocylcops_Panamensis_(2_sizes).html

I would also suggest getting some of their dry spirulina powder so if you have a crash or not enough phyto you can mix it up with some RODI to feed them - https://agcorefishfood.com/store/p9/spirulinapowder.html

I'm curious about the pods. What is the best source for information? How do you harvest them?

This is what I used, although im not using a 5 gal bucket. You need to buy the appropriate screen to harvest them because they are very small. Not sure if a brine shrimp net might work but I just bought a set of different size screens.

Brine shrimp direct sells a cheap sieve set up. I use that and a round smaller micron sieve that holds up the set from brine shrimp direct to capture my pods. I just leave the pods in the last few sieves and then just stick them in my display tank and swish them around to get them off the sieves...

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back