Diatoms

Jaime

Non-member
I have a question about diatoms done a bunch of research still can quite figured it out relatively new to the Hobby one year. So I have a 180 gallon tank protein skimmer UV sterilizer 40 gallon sump water changes as needed. I recently acquired two LED Black Box at 300 watts each as I would like to start adding coral. Before I added the LED black boxes I had a cheap eBay LED low wattage light on the tank. Didn't have any problems with diatoms it seem to only occur once I added the new likes maybe about 4 weeks into having them up I also added a toadstool. I am using tap water treated as needed water parameters check once a week everything is as it should be

Because you are using tap water chances are you have a decent amount of Silicates in your water. The silicates is essentially the "food" for the diatoms. With the new more intense light you are allowing that bacteria to thrive better than before.

It sounds like you are starting a new cycle with the new lights allowing for a better photosynthetic reaction with the diatoms. Get the town reports for your tap before you invest heavily in corals and watch for copper, lead, phosphates, and nitrates. You may decide/want to get an RO/DI unit. This will help control what is going into your tanks with your salt mixes.

Thanks for the info I been actually looking into the ro/di unit this morning. I was told buy a few lfs that it wasn't essential just another option as there are so many different ways to setup an aquarium. I live in Lowell , mass so Imuch definitely going to look up the water supply and see what I'm left working with.

I just purchased a tunze osmolator 3155. With me getting a rodi system will I be able to hook it up directly?

I do not think that you can hook it up to the RODI system because they have an waste line and RODI line coming out. Typically you would make say 5 gallons of RODI water and then put them in a hidden bucket under the tank or behind a fern etc. Then have the osmoregulator piped into the bottom of the bucket.

You could place the tunze ato pump in the rodi reservoir if it’s close enough or pipe a rodi output line to your ato reservoir.

At the moment I'll have to make the water in the garage and keep a 5 gallon reserve for the ATO under the D.T along with sump. Thanks to all that took the time to give suggestions and advice I really appreciate it.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back