Lets talk ATO

loki32687

Non-member
Looking for an ATO for my tank and have been debating between the Tunze Osmolator and the AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro. I was curious if anyone had any other suggestions for a reliable ATO or experience with those mentioned. Specifically the Micro as I know the Tunze has been around for quite some time.

Autoaqua smart ATO micro is what I've been running almost 2 years, it works great and has never failed on me and it's super tiny. The magnets that hold it in place could be better but they have never let go. Running it on an IM40 about 4-5 gallons a week. When it runs dry a loud beeping happens which is nice, but also annoying when I'm not home, luckily I have finally trained my wife to unplug it. Hint. When you first plug it in whatever amount of time it initially runs to fill to its desired point that sets the emergency over fill time. You can reset it by unplugging and it will choose the new time. I found that out when I had left my ATO off and made it fill the tank back up alot, thus making the time far to long to do any good. So I unplugged and reset it and it was good to go.

Does the autoaqua smart ato have a pump as well or would you need to opt for the aqua lifter? I have a 72 gallon with about 12 gallons in the sump. I need to start stabilizing and dosing with the addition of sps. Would the micro be able to handle that or should I save for the tzune?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the regular smart ato and it comes with a pump ,line and a bracket to hold the line

The micro comes with a pump and everything but the reservoir, mine is pumping up about 4ft currently, I think it would be sized properly to your setup. I use the IM 5g hydrofill ATO reservoir with it and its awesome! Love the sliding fill drawer, it's genius and simple

I have the original auto aqua smart ato and it works great. It beeps when it has to shut down due to failsafes and you know if there is something wrong. The new Neptune atk is the only thing that would tempt me to switch.

I have a setup from www.autotopoff.com. I use an aqualifter with it and it has run flawlessly for seven months.

I would recommend the Tunze because it has an eye sensor (with a backup float switch) - these ones use a float switch (with another back up float switch).

I just thought I would throw a decent inexpensive option out there.

IMO Tunze is the gold standard for ATO. The new Neptune ATK looks real promising, but not sure if its been around long enough to be as trusted or reliable. Again, my humble opinion.

I am running both the Osmolater and the ATK. Tunze is the superior product IMO. The ATK works and it is nice to be able to see the the status on Neptune but it is a little finicky. It is still high quality product but not to the level of reliability as the Tunze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another vote for the AutoAqua SmartATO. I've run several of the originals across 4 tanks over the last five years with good luck. It's nice that it's an all in one kit. Optical sensors are reliable. Design is safe and effective.

I still refuse to use a top off with a pump. Gravity never fails. It’s always there. RO tank is on a stand higher than the sump and a simple bulkreef supply float. It never fails. Never sticks in the on position, the fresh RO cleans off any salt creep and it cost about $11 for the float. There is also near 0 flux in the water level or salinity.

Any sort of maintenance you guys are doing on your ATO? Specifically the micro as that's where I'm leaning.

It'll accumulate algae/precipitate but easily maintained with a vinegar bath/scrub every 3-6 months.

Optical sensor is super reliable as long as glass is clean (which it usually is behind wet side, outer face of wet side gets dirty).

You'll want to secure the power/pump cable and make sure the sensor stays upright. If you snag a wire or rotate the sensor it won't work (uses two level sensors which need to be vertically aligned).

Yeah second vote for autotopoff.com . I have one of their old single float sensors with a snail guard and a cheapo 40 gph pump attached and the thing works wonders. Sure its not one of the big money systems, but it just works. I only wish I had a level sensor on my RO bucket to know when to fill it back up, but thats a different subject

I have only used JBJ ATO for the last 5 years and I will never change it. I use it in mode B with the sensors house glued together a 1/4 of an inch one higher than the other . That keeps the level always with a very small variation. I use it with an Avast Marine diaphragm pump. Is a perfect combination.

https://www.avastmarine.com/products/diaphragm-pump

Last edited:
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back