ATS vs Typical Fuge

Doherty

Non-member
Hey guys, I’m in the process of planning my sump layout for my upgrade that is going to take place in the next month. Was contemplating going the ATS route as opposed to the typical fuge and macro.

I would be making my own ATS, lighting it with a Kessil H80 tuna flora.

Was curious on everyone’s thoughts, from what I have read, they are pretty successful, just not sure it is a better option.

I guess the only drawback I can see is the maintenance. You need to take it out and scrape it vs traditional fuge of just tearing a handful into the garbage

Which is true, def needs to be a little more hands on with an ATS

Guess it’s a matter of determining which is a more efficient way of nutrient export. Based on the size of the fuge/ATS.

Space is limited, and If I can utilize a ATS that takes up less space but does a better/comparable job...... that would be key.

But on the other side of the fence if the ATS needs to be massive to do the same job and a big ball macro... I would just go that route.

Hey matt good to see you are still around.

I've done both. I built the scrubber as well. I feel that the scrubber is probably a great way to see fast results as it grows hair algae quickly. Long term I think you will get similar results between that and some sort of "active" macro growing. Meaning some sort of reactor. The traditional fuge I feel needs much bigger than 1 is willing to go to see any meaningful results.

Hey Chris, still around... I do more reading than posting nowadays.

I have heard the same as well for a fuge requirement standpoint, I did put together a DIY macro reactor with one of the large BRS media reactor, reversed the flow to direct down thorough the center, and just shine the light through the canister. But never did anything with it. Do you think that would be a better option?

Never finished the internal pvc pipe to evenly distribute the flow... just a scrap piece of PVC in there to get the idea.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 185
I think it's a better option than an old fashioned refugium. Whether it's better than the the algae scrubber I'm going to say it's probably a wash once it's going.

Will have to some thinking to do between the ATS or the macro reactor.....

Thanks for the input

I think the ats it's probably easier to give a quick scrape to especially if it's a spray bar and not something that needs to be opened. But it's probably a little bit more gross. The algae reactors can be kind of a pain to get open and pull out and then close back up and set up again. It really depends on design though

Yeah with the ATS, I would do the spray bar with all quick connect unions. Just shut off the flow to it, unscrew the collar and scrape it down.

Wasn’t even thinking.... but those canisters are a bit of a PIA to undo.

More noisy and the smell of fresh seaweed during low tide is possible with ATS.
I'll stick with the fuge.

I have an ATS scrubber and its silent and odorless (unless I’m cleaning it). Couldn't be happier with it. I’ll clean it maybe once a month, sometimes longer. Cleaning takes all of 2 minutes.

It’s made by 302 Aquatics. Here’s a pic after it finally seeded. Will look like this every month or two. Phosphates are undetectable and nitrates stay between 2-4ppm with how I feed.

Attachments

• 3F4FA849-18D4-4CAA-B680-2531E76E8787.jpeg
    3F4FA849-18D4-4CAA-B680-2531E76E8787.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 185
Back