reinstalling new pane of glass

evil nick

Non-member
I attempted my first drill and on hole 2 it cracked the glass.
I removed the pane, and boy was that a task. They must have superglued it in place before the silicone. It took 2 days to removed it and I finally got so frustrated I just hit the stuck corners with my torch to get it apart. I brought the pane to a glass guy in the area, WHO HAPPENS TO BUILD TANKS!, and he said hed charge me about 25$ to cut and drill for me.

My questions are

I only removed the silicon from the pane I pulled and rims. I planned on just re siliconing in those places as well and water testing. Do you guys think that is fine. Id REALLY prefer not to have to remove all the silicon and redo this entire tank.

My second question is

I actually liked the look of the tank without the top trim on it. Im telling you this thing was def glued before sealed. Im thinking if I used some locktite SG before I sealed the pane it might hold fine as a rimless tank. Ive seen people do this with a 20L but was always against it. After seeing it first hand Im now very enticed and I think my other half would prefer it. I would have to make my own lid, which wouldnt be to hard.
I have some 1/4" acrylic I can cut and JB weld. I was thinking of making a clear top rim with a built in lid.... what are your thoughts. Im almost thinking of making a clear lower trim as well. I might even have enough left over to make a custom acrylic tank and use the black rims for that.

I was SO mad when I removed my jig and saw the crack on the second hole... it killed me.

I am not sure on the water pressure for the rimless. I hear plenty of people do 32 gallon biocubes rimless and if I remember yours is only slightly bigger? I would ask the glass guy honestly. Since he makes tanks I feel like his opinion would weigh more than some mad scientists that we are when we modify our tank! You should see the hatch job I did on my 72 bow front to make sure it held water. Center brace came missing so I used some plexi in place of the center brace... so much plexi....

Tanks built with rims are built that way for structure so thinner glass can be used. It's only 12 inches tall so it might be fine. They did not use superglue in the manufacturer of the tank. An adhesive silicone was used as opposed to a sealant. It's not like reseal in a bathtub.

When building with acrylic jb weld is not the preferred method for bonding acrylic. One usually uses scigrip 3 or 4 as it bonds the material.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back