Clownfish Eggs...

jcherepo

BRS Member
Hi - Wondering if someone could provide some advice or point me in the right direction. I have a 55 corner tank with live rock, 1 large leather and a bunch of mushrooms that has been running for about 9 years. It has a flame angel, purple pseudo and 2 perculas. I was looking to convert it over to a fish only as my 180 reef is finally stabilized. I noticed the other day that a tunnel has been built beneath an area of live rock. I figured it may have been a random shrimp or crab, however I took a flashlight to it last night and noticed one of the clowns in there. Thinking maybe the clowns finally paired off after 9 years.... I was able to breed African Cichlids back some 25 years ago. Are clowns a lot more involved?
Thanks,
Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My short answer, clowns are not that hard to get to produce eggs, but raising the fry is a very long, involved, hard process.

We had Rick C @gsxr750 do a talk a year and a half ago on clownfish breeding. The work to put into it is a process. Growing Live foods for the fry. Having them lay on something you can remove. Setting up a fry tank with proper filtration, Cleaning tanks, setting up a grow out tank and waiting months until they are old enough to sell.

So go for it if you are interested in the experience!

But do some major research first.

Thanks for the info. Always up for a challenge, just need to find some extra time. I will reach out to Rick and see if he has some tips.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back