Reefbreeders 24” fixture

gobyvin

Non-member
Would a 24 inch photonV2 be overkill for a 20”long 18”wide 20” deep cube mixed reef with montis, gorgonians, clam, leathers a BTA and some lps? Depth to sand bed is 17.5 inches. Right now I have a 70 watt halide with a 14K bulb and I feel I might need more power, although everything is growing, even a monti at 12” down on the rock.

No answer? Wondering if it would melt my animals on 100%, the 16” unit is not available till April maybe and the price diff in negligible. Wondering if I get more bang if I ante up?? Any help greatly appreciated. The overhang is minimal and spread of light covers full tank width. How high do you think it would have to hang?

It would be overkill, but you can always turn down the intensity on the LEDs and/or raise the fixture. Something like a Hydra 26 or a Noopsyche K7 Pro 2 would be more adequately sized for your tank.

If the 70watt halide is working well you might just want to keep it and add a light strip with blue LEDs to add the attractive glow that LEDs produce.

Thanks Reeferon, that is what I thought. I hate to put anything over them that could accidentally go full power and fry my buddies. Thanks.

It should not be overkill. You can program it using a par meter to shoot for 350 par in the middle. But the overhang is kinda annoying.

A 16 inch and 24 inch photon v2+ is only 20w difference in power. But if you can wait, go for the 16 inch.

A Hydra 26 HD is a good choice for your tank too.

I will stay away from the other led mentioned in one of the above reply. Until a dealership and customer service established in US, buying such unproven led is a gamble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a hydra 26 over my 24x20, and it’s a pretty good option to consider. Awesome spread, and the controllability is a thing of beauty. Haven’t had an issue keeping sps or acros anywhere, the tank is 20” deep and have the light about 12” off the water. I know it’s nice hearing first hand expierence sometimes that’s why I figured I’d share.

Thanks Dong and sikxability. The hydra is pretty nice but way more than I want to spend. I might wait it out and get the 16” Reefbreeders. Thanks!

The Hydra 26HD is at the same price range as 16 inch Photon V2+, except the Photon 16 inch is at the same power level as a Hydra 52HD and comes with legs and hanging kits, with one extra year of warranty.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back