no bucket water changes

Barkley35

Non-member
I'm trying to figure out a way to do water changes without running buckets up and down the stairs from the basement. The tank is on the first floor of the house. What is the best way to pump the new salt water up from the basement and the best way to pump/drain down the old tank water? The tank is on a wall that I can run PVC down to the basement. I also want to drain the old tank water into a dry well I dug for my water softener.

Any help is appreciated.

I installed a 1” pvc pipe next to my tank in my living room that goes into my basement to my mixing station and laundry sink. I never carry any buckets anymore. I got WiFi controlled outlets from amazon for 10 ea and hook my basement mixing station pump up to that outlet. When I want to drain I close one valve in the basement and use a small magdrive to pump water thru the floor. The. Open the value and pump the water up by hitting a button on my phone.

The Wifi controlled outlets is a great idea. That solves my concern of not being able to do the water changes alone. How do you connect to the PVC in the living room when pumping water up or does it pump direct into the tank?

The Wifi controlled outlets is a great idea. That solves my concern of not being able to do the water changes alone. How do you connect to the PVC in the living room when pumping water up or does it pump direct into the tank?

I have a short hose that I attach and clip it to my sump. Just 3/4” vinyl

Similar to the WiFi outlet approach, any WiFi enable controller will have the capability of controlling the outlet from your phone.
Just make sure there’s no back siphon.

When I had a larger tank, I put T's and valves on my return pump. One setting was normal, one pumped water to a drain, third pumped water into the tank. It was on the same floor.

Thank you everyone for the feedback and ideas. I am going to take your comments and put them into the design.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back