ID this please.

Don't use Aiptasia-X, it will just make them spread. Most other fixes like kalk paste, hot water in a syringe, etc. probably will make them spread as well.

Peppermint shrimp seem hit or miss (no personal experience, just anecdotes from years of reading this forum) and shrimp are not friendly to LPS and some softies (from personal experience).

No idea about filefish or other fish, but those have issues and limitations as well.

Berghia is the only thing that doesn't seem to have any drawbacks other than price. I have used them a couple times quite successfully. I also have several wrasses in a 60 gallon cube. The berghia will be fine if you put them directly on the rock (with the provided pipette) at night. They only come out at night unless they are starving. Wrasses do not eat when the lights are out.

I had an outbreak on roughly 100 lbs of live rock gifted to me and placed 4 peppermint shrimp in the 40br where i have the live rock stored and they annihilated them for sure. After doing so much research i agree with @Andy V that it's best with the berghia nudi as it's safer for corals etc...

IMHO #everything can be part of the food chain for any tank inhabitant. #keepeveryonefedwell. If they are not getting enough food the easy option for them is to turn to your corals. The 2 remaining peppermints in my 120G which are over a year and a half have never touched my coral but I try to do a heavy broadcast feeding of clam, LRS reef frenzy, mysis, and coral food once a week to make sure everyone eats well, Including these CUC members. I know there are a couple different types of peppermints too. You just have to keep a close eye on your nutrients

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

IMHO #everything can be part of the food chain for any tank inhabitant. #keepeveryonefedwell. If they are not getting enough food the easy option for them is to turn to your corals. The 2 remaining peppermints in my 120G which are over a year and a half have never touched my coral but I try to do a heavy broadcast feeding of clam, LRS reef frenzy, mysis, and coral food once a week to make sure everyone eats well, Including these CUC members. I know there are a couple different types of peppermints too. You just have to keep a close eye on your nutrients

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It is categorically untrue that, "everything can be part of the food chain for any tank inhabitant."

This is disproved by something we've already been discussing...berghias. They only eat aiptasia and nothing else. They cannot survive off of frozen food, pellets, plankton, rotifers, copepods, or anything else.

I think it's also extremely unlikely that wrasses will survive by eating algae, or that mandarins will survive by eating corals.

I just think he ment like a aggressive fish or invert being well feed may leave live things alone. I honestly think its just a case by case thing. After all some ppl say cucumbers taste better pickled!!

I just think he ment like a aggressive fish or invert being well feed may leave live things alone. I honestly think its just a case by case thing. After all some ppl say cucumbers taste better pickled!!

Can you reference which scientific study your talking about because I totally disagree, cucumbers don’t taste better pickled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand were you coming from. This is a common misconception. The ronald study of 1998,the sanders files of 2006, and most recently the popeye kronicle all published studies proving without about that the taste exsperience of chicken sandwitchs increase by a factor of kva. While no cucublmber pretender has made it off the cutting board. More pickling more better clearly.

I have never seen peppermints turn on coral, I have see some ignore the Aiptasia, but considering the alternatives, it is best to throw some into the tank, and if you have a problem, throw in food wait until they come out, then net them.

I have never seen peppermints turn on coral, I have see some ignore the Aiptasia, but considering the alternatives, it is best to throw some into the tank, and if you have a problem, throw in food wait until they come out, then net them.

I've had 5 peppermint shrimp for 8 months now. Never bothered my bastos, hammers, acans, micromussas, or even zoas that some people complain about. Just make sure they're actually peppermints, not camels which are sometimes mislabeled as peppermints.

I don’t think they go “after” the corals but are scavengers by nature and if they see food hanging out of a lps mouth they’ll go for it. Seen them open up a anemones mouth to grab the food. Them killing corals is just a secondary effect

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back