Chemiclean

Joker

Viking Corals
BRS Member
Has anyone seen or heard of bad batches of chemiclean? I have used it 2 times now to get rid of some red slime while the tank is doing amazing and growing. Then after the 3 days are up it seems like my tank starts to slowly crash. I follow the directions to the t. I only use about 3/4 of the recommended dosage, I run my skimmer with no cup on and let it over flow, all pumps on max, use a air stone for extra air, once the 3 days are up I add carbon, start skimming with cup and do a 30% water change. A week later I have hair algae, sps are looking horrible and some even die. I test my water weekly to watch for anything.
Sg: 1.026
Alk: 9.3
Cal: 430
Mag: 1280
N03: 0-2.5 (this drops hard after chemiclean)
P04: 0.03
Temp: 78

I must have a bad batch. Let me know what you guys think

Last edited:
I haven't, and while I know every product has at least one person saying it killed their tank (even carbon), I have seen enough reviews of chemiclean that I'm afraid of it. Maybe there is some minor interaction between the product and trace elements in some water? I dunno ... But I hope your SPS recover. Cyano sucks out loud.

Have you thought about sending a sample of water out for a crazy in-depth analysis? The big numbers all look good - are they different from normal? Maybe it isn't the actual number that annoys the SPS but a swing in one of those parameters (or the ratio between something changed)?

I haven't, and while I know every product has at least one person saying it killed their tank (even carbon), I have seen enough reviews of chemiclean that I'm afraid of it. Maybe there is some minor interaction between the product and trace elements in some water? I dunno ... But I hope your SPS recover. Cyano sucks out loud.

Have you thought about sending a sample of water out for a crazy in-depth analysis? The big numbers all look good - are they different from normal? Maybe it isn't the actual number that annoys the SPS but a swing in one of those parameters (or the ratio between something changed)?
Yes I have after the first time and it came back with all good levels. The only thing that has been new to the tank is the chemiclean so it has to be that. I feel like it kills to much of the bacteria in the tank and it causes a mini cycle.

I tend to get cyano and use chemiclean probably every 4-6 months and never have had any negative influences. I hope your sps recover.

I tend to get cyano and use chemiclean probably every 4-6 months and never have had any negative influences. I hope your sps recover.
Same with me until this batch. I have never had issues with chemiclean until this one

Used chemiclean a couple months ago, wasn’t very effective at listed dosage so
I doubled it after 48h and let it stay in the tank about 8 full days. Did eventually kill off the cyano, but no coral issues. Some GHA afterwards, had to do a big LR scrub.

I don’t see any serial numbers or identifying marks on the bottle, so not sure how you’d get at a lot number.

anybody know what’s actually in chemiclean?

Is it in solid powder form or liquid?

Last edited:
anybody know what’s actually in chemiclean?

It is erythromycin. Here is a mention by Randy Holmes on it...

It is erythromycin. Here is a mention by Randy Holmes on it...

So from reading through that I'm thinking my batch may be much stronger than others. Hense the drop in my nitrate and the struggle of trying to get it to go up for a week or so. I tossed it out as I dont want the dang headache anymore. Time to find other methods of getting rid of cyano.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back