WTB Saltwater mollies

Ptreef

BRS Member
Anyone near Boston have some prolific breeding saltwater adapted mollies they're looking to get rid of? Trying to avoid lost lives of cheap Petco fish in the transition.

Why not just buy some at your local LFS. It doesn't take long to acclimate them to higher salinity. A matter of hours is all it takes.

I acclimated my mollies in an houe and a half, dripped in about a gallon of tank water into a bucket wit the water they came in from lfs...once salinity matched i picked them up in my hands and released into reef.....the rest is history....and they have since given birth :D I got 3 baby sailfin mollies in my reef at the moment

Algae eaters.
like nothing I have ever seen before, I have seen them bulldogging matted hair algae clumps better than tangs, also the mouth of a molly is like a carp, so they literally scrape the rocks clear of algae, also the frag plugs and racks, but they will also pick at the sand bed, constantly picking....they key is keep them a bit hungier. I also heard tales of them eating aiptasia.......all I know is between them and my peppermint I have 0 aiptasias in my tank

While we have some discussion going. Any recommendations on number of mollies for a 60 gallon. I was thinking 4. Overkill?

I just get the petco ones.... the get temp acclimated and thats it. Ive found the longer the acclimation period last the more mollies I kill.

They are a very hardy breed.
I think you would have to worry more about other fish in your tank picking on them since they are slow movers.
Had seen my, gramma, pajamas and clowns harass the lyretails a lot; even in multiple tanks.

Went to my lfs and they were out of mollies. Ended up impulse buying a starry blenny. Hopefully s/he chows.

I was inspired by this thread to give Mollies a go. Local Petsmart had a bunch but they were pretty small so I bought ten. Did the drip acclimation for three hours then temp acclimation, turned lights off and dropped them in.
I knew right away it was not going to go well, they all clumped together at the top and were super slow swimmers compared to everything else in the tank.

The carnage started about 20 minutes later by surprisingly enough the cardinal fish, they were each swimming around with a tail sticking out of their mouth then the China wrasse started bullying them very aggressively and pretty sure one swam into an anemone. Next my red tail trigger that never bullied anyone took a major chunk out of one and that was it I put the remaining in my sump where one looks to have lived through the night the others swam into the Chaeto and could not get out, I pulled a couple out before I went to bed and they swam away happily but did not learn their lesson as they swam back in over night and are dead now.

Moral of the story; these are not for every tank, they are slow moving and not very bright never trying to hide at all, power heads were tossing them around and they become too tempting for an easy snack. I have added small fish to the tank like Blennies, gobies and small wrasses and never had any issues like this because they would immediately hide until they were unnoticed by the tankmates and knew when it was safe to come out.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back