Search results

1. wpeterson

Kessil A360 / Biocube Canopy Conversion

I've downgraded to a humble biocube 32 in our living room over the years as work/kids have kept me from our earlier, more involved mixed reefs. After a few years, the cheapo LEDs built into the biocube hood died. I built a custom mount and installed a Kessil A360W from one of our larger...
  2. wpeterson

Great Experience with Blue Light Aquatics

I’ve been trying to find a proper tuxedo urchin on and off for 6 months. No one seems to have them in stock or have easy ways to check other than showing up in person the day their orders arrive and hoping. @Blue Light Aquatics answered my Want to Buy thread saying they had ORA tuxedos...
  3. wpeterson

All Set Tuxedo Urchin [Found!]

I’ve had a hard time finding one in stock with local fish stores. Happy to pay a premium for an easy pickup/sale of a healthy urchin. I’m located in Somerville, but I’m willing to travel within an hours drive.
  4. wpeterson

Gone Free Chaeto

Our refugium is producing more chaeto than I can use. I’ve got 4x small bunches to give away. Pickup in Somerville, MA near Davis Sq. DM me to arrange a time for pickup.
  5. wpeterson

In Praise of the Fighting Conch

We added a fighting conch earlier this week and they’re such an interesting creature. I’d never known that their operculum is combined foot/claw they use to move themselves around like paddling a gondola. Also a great sand sifter and one of the few eager eaters of Cyanobacteria I’ve seen...
  6. wpeterson

WTB Nassarius snails (5-10)

I'm looking to purchase 5-10 nassarius snails, baby/juvenile is fine.
  7. wpeterson

Biocube 32 Kessil Canopy

We broke down our mixed reef last Fall, but my kids were sad so I setup a Biocube 32 as a FOWLR tank. The LED lighting is not good, but I’ve really come to appreciate the closed canopy. It does a much better job at blocking glare and the amount of evaporation even in dry winter air is so small...
  8. wpeterson

WTB Clean Chaeto (Found)

Hoping to buy a cubic foot or more of clean chaetomorpha to start a new tank/refugium if folks have some for sale. I'd pay $50 for a cubic foot, picked up within an hour of Boston. EDIT: Found some from @Anutka72 . Thanks!
  9. wpeterson

Sold 40gal Tank, Stand, and 30gal Sump [Somerville]

I've just broken down our reef tank and I'm selling the display, the metal stand, and the sump. Display/stand must be sold together, sump can be purchases separately. All items are pickup in Somerville, MA outside Davis Sq. area. Display tank is a Deep Blue Pro 40 breeder (36x18x16) with...
  10. wpeterson

FS Rose Bubble-tip Anemone - $35

We've had a long-standing Rose BTA in our tank which has grown/split twice now over the last few years (4x 3-4" anemones from original parent). I'm planning to sell 1-2 of the four. Asking $35 cash pickup, also willing to deliver within 45 mins of Boston area for $50. Interested in LPS...
  11. wpeterson

SC Aquariums Experiences?

I'm hoping to upgrade our 40 breeder to a 120 or 150 from SC Aquariums. Something like this. Has anyone local had experience with SC Aquariums? Anyone have a 120 or 150 up and running locally I could admire?
  12. wpeterson

What Happened to Ecotech Quality?

Man, I bought an MP10QD for our 40breeder a little over a year ago and in that year I've had two wet sides fail with broken propellor shafts. I chaulked up the first one to a harsh marine environment, but two in a year is terrible. It's such a hassle to ship one off for service with a two or...
  13. wpeterson

Fluconazole vs. hair algae

There's been some compelling evidence posted by folks on Reef2Reef that the anti-fungal Fluconazole will effectively kill nuisance green hair algae (particularly bryopsis) but leave helpful macroalgae like chaetomorpha alone. I recently ordered some and I'm planning to do my own test with a...
  14. wpeterson

Montipora Eating Nudibranchs

I just checked my tank after lights out and found Montipora eating nudibranchs all over a 4" monti cap in my tank. I also saw one on the glass (tiny White Sea slug, maybe 2.5mm long). I'm confident in this identification. My favorite SPS was a neon green Montipora Confusa and it began...
  15. wpeterson

Acan Growout

I bought a small red acan frag with two heads in August and we've been growing it out over the last 5 months. I'm not much of a rare coral collector, but I do love growing things out from smaller frags: Aug 2016: Jan 2017:
  16. wpeterson

Rough Tank Move

The last three days have been some of the worst I've had as a reefer in many years. We moved house a week ago and I wanted to move our 40 gallon tank last weekend. Due to Thanksgiving and family conflicts, I didn't have any time until Sunday. I setup a 40 gallon rubbermaid as a stock tank...
  17. wpeterson

Advice for a Tank Move across town?

Good news/Bad News - It looks like we're closing on a house soon, but that means moving our small 40BR humble reef. I was planning to setup a new 40BR as a holding tank at the new house in advance and let it cycle as an AIO/holding tank. Rough plans are: 1) Setup holding tank w/ sand &...
  18. wpeterson

Scam Alert: "Encompass All" Felt Filter Sock - Disintegrate

I bought two 8 packs of 4"x8" felt filter socks made by "Encompass All" via Amazon and they completely disintegrated into felt tufts the first time I washed them. I washed them with warm water and a cup of bleach (as I've always done with felt socks). Thankfully, I had 2 quality filter socks...
  19. wpeterson

Stocking Plans: 40BR Humble Reef

Our new 40BR display/30gal sump is fully operational and just finished cycling last week. There's nothing but macroalgae and copepods living in the tank as of today, but we're starting to plan our fish stocking list and I'll probably buy our first coral this weekend. I'd love feedback and...
  20. wpeterson

Kessil Support is Awesome

I recently bought a pair of used Kessil A350Ws without mounting hardware, so I ordered goosenecks to mount them. Unfortunately, when the goosenecks arrived a week or two later I realized the mounting screws that hold the Kessils to the goosenecks were missing from the lights and I couldn't...
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back