Search results

1. Leadfootedracer

Thinking it might be time to start over

I neglected to paint the back of the tank, because I had planned that foam wall since day 1, so i need to come up with a wall of sorts to hide the clear glass. I’ve used all the rock i have, to achieve this, so i will be buying more for sure. The goal is fish, zoas, and some simple things like...
  2. Leadfootedracer

Well, after letting the tank “go”, it looked to sort of fix itself. I’m not sure. The dark brown growth that was dinos, stopped growing and turned more into a light brown dust like detritus. Decided to give it a cleanup and toss out the foam wall. Here’s today’s pics. Definitely need to get more...
  3. Leadfootedracer

They are on a 3 second alternating interval. The tunze would be set to all the time, as they don’t like being hooked up to the smart wave i have. The start/stops wore them out. One is junk, and the other probably isn’t far behind. That’s why i switched to the jaebo’s. Sent from my iPhone...
  4. Leadfootedracer

I definitely don’t know how to fix this. Currently have 2 mag 5’s at 7’ (205gph each). That’s a 10x turnover. I assumed that would be enough when setting this up initially. I am planning a reboot. I will look into going to a single, bigger pump, with a T for the dual returns and shoot for a...
  5. Leadfootedracer

Haven’t added anything to the tank for 2 weeks. Just keeping it topped off, and over fed. I am noticing the surface skimming problem has not improved. Things that float to the top of the display, stay there. They all kind of come together at the end of the task opposite the overflow and swirl...
  6. Leadfootedracer

Well... I feel stupid. Got the tank topped off today and put the filter sock on the drain. With both mag 5’s running full blast, the water level in the display is around 1/4” lower than its ever been. This wall has proven time and time again, that it is a nuisance. I used to have a valve open...
  7. Leadfootedracer

In a last ditch effort, I have removed all of the visible inverts, dead or alive, as well as all the frags. I have hacked up the foam wall and cut slots into it where it meets the overflow box opening, hoping to increase the flow into the sump. I am headed out now to pick up a filter sock and...
  8. Leadfootedracer

I did not reseal the foam. I only sealed the foam from one side. I was under the impression that the pond foam was reef safe, and the sealer was to only adhere the sand for “texture”. Originally the holes were cut and the openings were sealed/sanded. I later had to recut the holes as they were...
  9. Leadfootedracer

That might just be what I need. I knew the peninsula setup was going to be tough, from the time I started. I also knew “hiding” the power heads was going to raise concern for flow problems. I was skeptical of building a foam wall for the back of the tank, but followed many peoples advice and...
  10. Leadfootedracer

I think it’s time. Nothing is working. I can’t even get the tank to grow algae at this point. It’s just a massive brown mess. The fish, are happy and healthy by the looks of it. Nothing I have tried, has worked. I know “new tanks” go thru the uglies. But we are talking about a 10 month old...
  11. Leadfootedracer

Understandable for sure. If this doesn’t work, I will strip the tank, dry out and clean all the rock, dispose of the sand, wash all the equipment, and start over. Was trying to avoid such a dramatic remedy. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. Leadfootedracer

This particular product is 100% potassium nitrate. I read that the potassium levels in the product are so minimal, that you don’t risk overdosing potassium in the tank. Right now I only have 3 zoa frags, and they barely open, if at all. They are unhappy as all hell, and the Dino’s keep...
  13. Leadfootedracer

Everything came in yesterday. Checked the phosphate and nitrate levels today (12/1 @ 9am). The nitrate was 0ppm. The phosphate was between 0 and .05ppm. I mixed 1/4tsp of the stump remover to 100ml of RODI. This concentration will raise the nitrate .5ppm for every 10ml dosed. Guess we will...
  14. Leadfootedracer

I will use the stump remover method. I have read that doing this, will raise both the nitrate and phosphate. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. Leadfootedracer

Just ordered a phosphate test kit, a graduated cylinder, and some stump remover. Been reading all afternoon about this raising the phosphates and nitrates and this seemed like the best bang for the buck. Will post back with results when things start to materialize. Sent from my iPhone using...
  16. Leadfootedracer

LoL. I didn’t mean I was going to dump the food container in tonight and let it rip. I merely overfed tonight. That’s it. I don’t have a phosphate test kit. I will have to pick one up. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. Leadfootedracer

Ok. I will order some ocean magik, repurpose the skimmate, and add to the feeding. Will this alone, be sufficient or should I be looking for a nitrate supplement as well? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  18. Leadfootedracer

Aside from running out and just buying fish by the bag full, what are some more cost friendly methods to “dirty” the tank? I haven’t really spent much time planning out my livestock list. The blenny was a spur of the moment purchase. Should i stop skimming? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  19. Leadfootedracer

Dino X or Coral Snow? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  20. Leadfootedracer

Yes. This window does broadcast a decent amount of light into the tank. I would definitely put this down as an option, but the opposing side of the tank gets just as bad, or worse. The tank went lights out/covered for 7 days. I did a 5 gal water change and tried to siphon out a majority of the...
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back