Search results

1. Coalminer

Hammer slowly bailing out.

Hey guys, I've been absent for a while, but my tank is still plugging along, other than an issue with my hammer. Over the past 2 weeks or so, it's been slowly bailing out heads one at a time. At first i thought that it was just the heads that were next to the rock work, either getting picked...
  2. Coalminer

Zoa and Paly Progress

Sharing a quick pic I took today showing paly and zoa growth. They looked so good, it makes me happy... :) Pink palys, Sunny Ds, and people eaters are from Josh (wiz) Tangerine Twisters from FragFreaks Light pink zoas (Kedd Reds?) from Frank Purple Death Palys from the fragging demo back...
  3. Coalminer

I think I beat algae... *fingers crossed*

So my wife and I were out of town for about 3 weeks unexpectedly back in March. I got someone to take care of my tank, but wasn't sure how it would go. Fortunately, when I got back, nothing was dead, just out of control GHA. It was sort of a set back since I had been fighting it for a while. I...
  4. Coalminer

Maroon Clown Going Nuts Over Mag-Float

So has any one every had a fish do something like this? Or is this just another variation of #justclownthings, in other words, a clown being a clown? He only acts this way when its moving, not when it is still. I'm afraid I'm going to hurt him, but the glass needs to be clean...
  5. Coalminer

First SPS Frag! (video)

I think I'm in trouble, guys. I bought my first SPS frag, a piece of pocillopora, at Aquatic Creations yesterday. I told myself that I would wait until I have a bigger tank before I started SPSs, but....it was just so fuzzy! Anyways, here's quick video just because. And bonus orchid dotty...
  6. Coalminer

Help with Ailing Blue Sympodium

I got this frag of sympodium about 2 months ago. Been doing great until the past 5-6 days. There are two separate clumps on the plug, as you can see below. The back clump was all pulled in when I got home on Sunday after being in Watertown for the weekend. The front clump looked fine, but...
  7. Coalminer

Looking for RODI Water Source in NH

Can anyone in NH recommend a place to get good RO/DI water? After testing several water sources, the lowest TDS reading that I can find is the water from Hannaford in Concord. I'm willing to drive a ways every now and then, but would like to find somewhere in the Manchester or Concord area...
  8. Coalminer

Pistol Shrimp Hitchhiker????

So weird... Last night I was walking past our tank after all the lights were out in the tank and the house, and stopped to shine in a flashlight to see if there was anything picking on my zoas that won't open. Something catches my eye under one of the rocks, and I see that something is moving...
  9. Coalminer

Best way to post video?

Anyone have a good way to upload videos to embed into a post at full resolution? I uploaded a video to YouTube, but the highest res it will play at is 480p60. Tried Photobucket too and it looked worse. The video is just an iPhone video, shot at 1080p, 60fps, so it would be nice to be able to...
  10. Coalminer

Getting Rid of Thin Stripe Hermit Crabs

So what's the best way to get rid of these guys? We bought 5 of them as the first residents of our tank 4-5 months ago, under the assumption that they were blue legs, based on the blue-ish-green hue of their legs. Since we finally figured out what they are, I ordered a shipment of actual blue...
  11. Coalminer

Help With Anemone ID

So after talking about BTAs and sebaes at the last meeting, I am really starting to wonder what kind of anemone I have in my tank. Here are two pictures: It was sold as a sebae at Petco (I know, early mistake), but it really doesn't look like any of the sebaes that I see. Furthermore...
  12. Coalminer

New Life Spectrum Marine too Large

I've been using New Life Spectrum Marine Pellets, the 1mm ones, since I set up my tank. The problem is that I feel as though I might be over feeding with them. The issue is that none of my fish (maroon clown, orchid dottyback, or tailspot blenny) can eat them whole. They just take them in...
  13. Coalminer

Green Pincushion Urchin and Coralline Algae

I was doing a water change today, and was noticing that one of the few places where coralline is growing in my tank is in the corners where my urchin can't fit. I remember reading that urchins can eat coralline, so I spent a few minutes google surfing before deciding to ask you guys about it...
  14. Coalminer

Coalminer's 30 Gallon Nuvo Tank

In another thread, someone mentioned doing a build thread for our tank. Since there isn't much building involved here, it is more of a progress thread. I haven't had time to post it yet, but since finals are done, here we go. I bought the tank off of a guy in Wakefield, MA, who has posted it...
  15. Coalminer

ID Red Encrusting Growth

No panic or anything, just curious as to what this is. I know that the light pink is coralline, but the dark maroon stuff seems to grow differently. As you can see, there is a little brittle star living under it. I haven't seen stuff living under coralline before. And it's a hard crunchy...
  16. Coalminer

Zoas Not Opening

I bought a zoa frag about a week ago. When I brought the zoas home, I clipped the bag to the side of the tank for about an hour, and they opened back up while still in the bag. I then did a freshwater R/O dip for about 30 seconds to remove any parasites. I placed the frag pretty low in my 30...
  17. Coalminer

New Member from NH

I signed up on the forum a week or two ago, but finally paid for member ship today. I paid for the family membership. Does that make us (my wife and I) members of Boston Reefers (the organization) or just the forum? Anyways, I live in Concord, NH, but usually travel south to find fish stores...
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back