Search results

1. mind

How does a calcium reactor work

I don't (yet) run my CaRx hooked up, however the most IMPORTANT thing I read was this: run it in pull mode. ie: PULL the fluid through the CaRx and dump it back into the tank. That way if a pipe bursts or the reactor leaks, then you are not forcing fluid out of your tank and onto your floor ...
  2. mind

3d printer models

Mechanical engineer here....I use www.onshape.com You need to pay if you don't want your designs freely available to everyone, but it is a proper 3D parametric CAD .... Unlike the Autodesk offers. Here is a link to the lid I did for my Red Sea 525XL tank...
  3. mind

Any structural engineers?

I should note that when designing stands for tanks, I have seen everyone do "will the stand support this weight"..... but structural failure is NOT the correct design criteria. Ever wonder why some tank manufacturers have tanks that fail over time? Are their stands made of chipboard and...
  4. mind

WTB GHL Doser Maxi and/or parts

I had mine split a tube, then pump salt water into the box and fry the circuit board. Anyone got a Maxi they don't use anymore or one that has a broken pump they cannot get spares for and want to sell?
  5. mind

Any structural engineers?

Those breeder tanks are (apparently) designed to be supported by the frame alone. If it is not on the frame, that would be "bad". Structural engineers will not be able to tell you either, since wood is a sh!*** material to design with. Every tree is different. Every piece of wood has...
  6. mind

Pest nem id please

Also tried bergia nudis (been in the tank for two weeks) and saw no difference.... Now trying a filefish, but it does not seem interested in them..... Ideas?
  7. mind

Pest nem id please

Well, the same LFS store that sold me the frag's with the hitchhiking nem's.... Sold me the shrimp... So there are no guarantees they are the right ones!!!
  8. mind

Pest nem id please

I bought 4 for a 100gal tank... they have not touched them in two weeks.
  9. mind

Pest nem id please

I added a frag to my tank (first in 6 months) and a month later, these started showing up and they are now spreading. Any idea what they are and how to eradicate them? Thanks in advance!
  10. mind

EcoTech MP40 replacement screen

Well, you can vapor-smooth ABS or ASA, but not PETG (well, you can if you want to mess with REALLY, REALLY nasty chemicals!!). If you are north of Boston, let me know and I can meet you somewhere and toss you one to play with. Current design is a little different, and has interchangeable...
  11. mind

WTB WTB Nepthea soft coral

Is that Greg Hiller's Screaming Green ? In which case, I think it might be Sinularia and not a Nepthea ?
  12. mind

WTB WTB Nepthea soft coral

Does anyone have Pink/Green or other color Nepthea frags for sale?
  13. mind

I had not really thought about it yet. It is a 5 hour print at 4800mm/sec on a Voron printer. Most printers can only do 2400mm/sec. Ideally, one should still do several hours of vapor smoothing on the item. Someone put something up on thingiverse and a bunch of people are now making it and...
  14. mind

I designed and printed a MP40 wetside in ABS. Still fine tuning dimensions, but I thought I would share.
  15. mind

Anyone build their own acrylic sump?

I did too. I needed a particular size/shape with particular partition placement. This was because I wanted it to be 18" wide, 15" deep and 32" long (maximizing space usage). I also got the colors I wanted (red top, black sides, clear front) by buying the acrylic locally. Did the design in...
  16. mind

Iso stand ideas

If you want cheap.... 2x4 wood. If you want expensive, use 80/20 Inc's aluminum extrusions. Benefits of Alu: smaller space taken up. You can accurately do strength and deflection calculations because you know the material properties accurately (unlike wood). Will not absorb moisture and...
  17. mind

DIY cheap "pod hotel" project...

I am going to try printing one in PETG. Might have issues with all the bridging, but I will report back.
  18. mind

Made a tank lid for my 525XL

I could.... might need to "pay" me in tank knowledge and dipped frags though since I am a total salt-water newbie and my first corals are not looking great :( Not sure if that sort of trade/barter is allowed here ? PM if not please!
  19. mind

Yeah.... This is what happens when two engineers design for the same requirements. You get two designs that are rather similar, since there are only so many ways to solve a problem! Some costs: 5 x 24" x 12" x 1/4" UV and impact resistant polycarbonate sheet : $130 ($26 each and could have...
  20. mind

Here it is installed. I will need to glue the polycarb pieces together. The commercial ones are done in what looks like 3/8", whereas I did mine in 1/4" to save on cost.
Back