Search results

1. T

FS 180 gallon tank RR with Custom-Built Cabinet. 3 Radions

I'm selling my 180 gallon tank with custom-built cabinet. 500 dollars. It is reef ready with no leaks. I ran it for seven years. 2 1.5 inch drain holes; 2 1 inch return lines. Good condition. Buyer will need to remove tank. It's right by wide front door. Belmont MA. Also selling 3 radions for...
  2. T

Free 70 gallon rr tank and 40 gallon sump

Seventy gallon tank. Corner overflow. No leaks. Used for five years. Has some scratches. Free for anyone who will remove it. Includes a 40 gallon breeder converted into a sump. Belmont MA.
  3. T

Help on cementing live rock

I have a bare bottom tank with a 30 inch snowflake eel. I have difficulty keeping the rock work from getting moved and the front rocks getting pushed against the glass at the front of the tank. I'm trying to glue small pieces of live rock to the bottom of the tank at the front to keep the rocks...
  4. T

Bubble algae treatment

I had a devastating bubble algae in my 70 gallon tank. Literally bubble algae over every single rock and squeezing out and killing zoas. I tried everything. Emerald crabs were eaten by my eel. A rabbitfish showed no interest in them. I used Vibrant at high dose level for several months with zero...
  5. T

stuck powerhead

We've got a tunze 6255 in the far corner of the tank where it's a bit hard to access and can't get it off. Magnet or something is too strong. Anyone have any suggestions? We tried running some water on the outside in case some salt had got in there and increased friction with no success.
  6. T

FS PRICE REDUCTION: Australian Gold Hammer

I have 8 frags of aquacultured Australian gold hammer for sale. 1 head - $60 2 heads - $100 3 heads - $140 I have 2 1-headed, 5 2-headed, and 1 3- headed. Pictures below (one is on two photos). At the bottom is the mother colony. It's a pure gold hammer that fluoresces beautifully. Mother colony...
  7. T

Interesting article on reef fish hybridization

Today's NYT has interesting article on hybridization of reef fish, especially angelfish. Also link to the scientific article in text...
  8. T

Copepod question

My current setup has water draining from the main display tank into a separate refugium and then from the refugium through filter socks into the sump. So I assume that any pods get blocked and die in the socks. If I set up a filter sock above the refugium and removed the sock from the sump...
  9. T

WTB 40 breeder

I'm in Belmont MA, for quarantine/hospital tank, not display, so doesn't need to be perfect condition.
  10. T

Emergency drilling assistance needed

My son and I were doing a big re-do of our system and we had a mishap and cracked our 40-gallon breeder (fortunately, there was no water in it). I have another 40 breeder but need a hole drilled in it (1 inch bulkhead). Can anyone do it for us? We've got a lionfish to pick up and were going to...
  11. T

TSM aquatics

In a recent thread, someone recommended TSM aquatics for quarantined fish. I hadn't heard of them but got in contact with them and it turns out they had the three angelfish - majestic, emperor, and flame - that I was looking for. I placed an order and the customer service was by far the best...
  12. T

calcium reactor vs. 2-part dosing

I've been running a reef tank for about five years now and just do 2-part dosing for calcium and alkalinity (currently about 280ml of brs 2-part a day). I have 5 gallon reservoirs so I only have to mix it up every three months or so. I buy the big 5 gallon containers so cost is not too bad. Is...
  13. T

What is the coronavirus doing to aquarium fish availability?

I'd be curious if anyone has good information on this. My son, budding marine biologist, is home from college with the quarantine and we're naturally working on the tanks we started when he was in high school. I've always got my corals locally from the brs forum, Dong and friends so that hasn't...
  14. T

rubbermaid 100 gallon container

or something similar that can be used to plumb in system and seed dead rock with bacteria
  15. T

lionfish, frogfish, marine betta

Has to be eating frozen food. Belmont MA
  16. T

suction cups

I'm going to be moving a 180 gallon tank. Does anyone have suction cups or know where one might borrow them. Thanks.
  17. T

Achilles Tang

Does anyone have experience with the Achilles Tang? I would like to keep one in my new tank. I know it is a difficult fish but I do have the right tank set-up. The tank is 8 foot long and will have tons of flow since it'll be a bare-bottom sps tank. I'd be interested in any advice, but my...
  18. T

What does 8.3 Ph mean?

I’m not asking for a scientific definition! I’ve read lots of those and they don’t stick in my 55 yr. old brain as long as I’d like. My question is more pragmatic. My Ph swings about .3 on a daily basis. So When someone says 8.3 is a good Ph to aim for your tank, do they mean a daily average of...
  19. T

advice for return system for new frag tank

I am purchasing a glass frag tank that is 96 (long) x 24 (wide) x 16 (tall). I am going to plumb into my existing system. Because of my sump height, I cannot have the water exit tank from holes in the bottom. I need to have the return holes drilled in the side. With small tanks I’ve plumbed in...
  20. T

bubble algae quandary

I'd be grateful for suggestions on how to deal with bubble algae in my 70 gallon tank. It has a 2 foot snowflake eel, a 4 inch toby puffer, two tangs and two damsels. The only coral I'm growing in the tank are zoas. I've got, maybe, 500 polyps or so. I've run the tank for 3-4 years. I tried...
Back