Search results

1. Robert M

Can my floor hold 45 gallons

FWIW, I pulled the engineer specs for my house built in 2011 and convinced myself that in normal size rooms in my house (~15’ walls or so), I could put up to a 110G against any wall in any room without getting more that a 1/2” deflection, which is what I considered too much. So for my house, I...
  2. Robert M

Sold Marine LED Light: Fluval A3995 LED 2.0

Light fixture width is expandable from 48-60”. I used on my 120G FOWLR on its own and think the light quality was very nice. $5 and pickup in West Newton. Can leave in driveway for contactless pickup.
  3. Robert M

So Sad.

Unless I’m missing something, coral bleaching is caused by heat stress rather than water pollution. As the US is the second largest emitter of greenhouses gases, I think changes that we make would make a difference.
  4. Robert M

We need more peoples to see this

I think we can support coral reefs and sustainable ecology and have a reef tank at the same time. I’ve certainly bought a couple critters that have no-doubt been plucked straight from the ocean, possibly in harmful ways. I’ve also made donating to coral reef conservation charities one of my...
  5. Robert M

Movers for 300g tank?

Amazon. I have 4 of them (dual suction). I think they hold 300 pounds each. If you promise to return them and feel like coming out to Newton, you can borrow mine for free, or you can buy all of them off me for $25.
  6. Robert M

Movers for 300g tank?

I couldn’t find a moving company to help with my tank either. I ended up buying a hydraulic table lift, some vacuum glass suction cups and got some moving help with people from task rabbit. I’d recommend task rabbit—you can look at someone’s profile to see if they might be strong enough to help...
  7. Robert M

Live Whiteworms

I’m thinking about culturing worms to add to my dedicated growing tanks for phyto, pods and sea lettuce. However, I’m a little conflicted that my fish will be eating locally-sourced farm-to-aquarium fresh food while my kids dine on the usual macaroni, chicken nuggets and peanut butter and jelly...
  8. Robert M

Live Whiteworms

I’ve never seen a white worm setup. How do you separate the worms from the dirt/bread/food when it’s feeding time? Do you need to rinse them some how or can you pick them off the top of the substrate?
  9. Robert M

Eight-legged friend

So obviously when you find gross things in your tank, you need to share them. Well here you go—I went to check-in my refugium earlier this week and found a spider crawling around! My best guess is that it’s a diving bell spider that came in as an egg with my copepods or macroalgae shipment. But...
  10. Robert M

Tour Tank Tours

Ok cool. My tank (in Newton) is probably a few months away from looking really cool, but maybe I can join next time around.
  11. Robert M

Tour Tank Tours

So for the benefit of we newbies, what does a tank tour entail? Is it an open house day where people can drop in if they live nearby, or is there an actual organized tour where lots of people come at once, or something else?
  12. Robert M

Every coral I put in my tank dies

Two of my LPS died last month. Everything seemed fine in my tank so I sent water off for an ICP test. Results came back that I was 700x over the recommended limit for Tin (yikes!) because I installed some float glass baffles in my sump... Point being I never would have figured that out without...
  13. Robert M

Sand, who knew it would be so hard to choose

I like my Carribsea special grade a lot as well. Though it’s definitely best on new tanks since it seriously clouds the water for about 4 days. Not sure fish or coral would appreciate that in an established tank. Since it comes with ocean bacteria it hasn’t been cleaned of silt like some of the...
  14. Robert M

Apex ORP & PH probes #’s questions

Below link might be interesting if you haven't seen it. Figure 1 shows the plot of someone's aquarium ORP values over time--all of them are above 450. I'd be skeptical of using the ORP prope values for anything--particularly if it's never been calibrated. Generally I think people look for sudden...
  15. Robert M

Booster pump plumbing

So I’ve installed my pressure pump “wrong” (before the pre-filters). But I think the reasons to put them after the pre-filter are to keep sediment out of the pressure pump and because the pre-filter housing is the most likely component to leak under high pressure. My housing pump starts leaking...
  16. Robert M

Water storage barrels

I’ve got a few of these—59 gallons each, food grade plastic. In my fish room I use two of these for my salt water mixing station. I’ll sell for $35 each or frag trade.
  17. Robert M

Tang Lifespan

Yikes! This is a good reason to put anything that touches water on a GFCI circuit. It would/should have tripped the moment it detected a current leak. If you don’t want to change your outlet to GFCI, you can get an in-line GFCI circuit breaker. I got this one, for instance...
  18. Robert M

Travel advice

Actually, seems TSA explicitly allows corals (who knew?) so you don’t need to call them a fish. Maybe just print that page out in case your TSA agent is clueless. https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/live-coral
  19. Robert M

Travel advice

You are supposed to be able to carry on live fish. I’d try to argue coral is close enough to a fish. https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/live-fish
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back