Search results

1. J

Sand, who knew it would be so hard to choose

you just need some southdown #blastfromthepast I still have a few bags. No, I am not giving them up
  2. J

Old timers

blast from the damn past....and I guess my lifetime membership expired. short memories
  3. J

Algae questions....

the reason your nitrates list as zero is the algae is consuming it. More cleanup crew, more nutrient export
  4. J

BRS website major upgrade

Everyone reading this should be thrilled with the upgrade, and patient with the changes....my 2c
  5. J

Anyone up for LFS tour

To any reefer here, Dong's system is something you should absolutely see. Make the trip. The other stores all had their positives. Oceans in glass was immacualte. I started rebuilding my cleanup crew, although the cleaner shrimp is nowhere to be seen. May be molting, or a casualty of the...
  6. J

Transferring tank Monday Question About Sand Replacement

it can. make sure you skim wet and run fresh carbon
  7. J

134 build any recommendations

what size is your sump? And look at a different pump, mag18's are brutal on your electric bill. Post a picture!
  8. J

Anyone up for LFS tour

I'll be there! So you've got 3 at least..... :)
  9. J

Solar install today

Geez, only 8 of those to cover my latest bill ::
  10. J

Return pump failed!

I scrubbbed my skimmer and vacuumed all kinds of algae. Going to change 100G tonight, assuming I get all my (kids' :confused: ) homework requirement done tonight.
  11. J

Return pump failed!

I'm trying to get my reef chemistry back in order, made worse by a separation between cooler sump and warmer display. Alas, my tank needs some work, mixing up water for a 100g water change. I was able to buy a little giant 4-MDQ-SC. With 2 elbows , the head is the equivalent of about 16 feet...
  12. J

Return pump failed!

Do you have a head/flow for that? You need a bunch of pump to push 1" up 13-14 feet.
  13. J

Return pump failed!

Hey BRS, long time no see. 5-30-2014 to be exact. Welp....my return pump failed. It was a reeflo blowhole (really, that's the model). If you read on the interwebs, they are prone to overheat and catastrophic failure. Back when they came out, Reeflo had a very solid namebrand, and I scooped...
  14. J

Reef Deal black tang

better to ask for forgiveness than permission
  15. J

Paul's' new build..

I have to think that 2 avenues for the return will allow you more options for the 'where' your flow goes
  16. J

Best sand to use ?

I just found 3 bags of old school southdown in a tote from my move in 2009.....
  17. J

"roll-able temporary stand" for empty aquarium - am I insane?

The other option for your move is to get 2 sheets of masonite and lay them over your bamboo to protect it. Then buy 2 or 3 dollies at Harbor freight and set the tank on that. If you don't want to lift, put it on a box on the dollies.
  18. J

"roll-able temporary stand" for empty aquarium - am I insane?

casters for that kind of weight are going to mar a hardwood floor, not roll well over grout if it's tiled, and not roll at all if it's carpet. You'd be better to offer beer and pizza to your fellow reefers and move it by hand. At least that's how the OLD BRS use-ta roll
  19. J

Best sand to use ?

southdown. or caribsea from B @ Unique, or get sand from Marco Rocks. All viable options. My sand is a mix of southdown and carib sea, but the Marco sand is pretty awesome too
  20. J

Steve's Tank Build

Holy Thread resurrection batman!
Back