Search results

1. J

Return pump failed!

Hey BRS, long time no see. 5-30-2014 to be exact. Welp....my return pump failed. It was a reeflo blowhole (really, that's the model). If you read on the interwebs, they are prone to overheat and catastrophic failure. Back when they came out, Reeflo had a very solid namebrand, and I scooped...
  2. J

Saltwater Connections online

I have been trying to get SWC to respond to an order placed on 4-21-12. In a nutshell, the skimmer pump for my extreme cone skimmer has failed. It is an askoll/laguna 1500 with a custom volute on the front and a high output pinwheel. Ordered it, waited a week, emailed, waited a few more days...
  3. J

Murphy lives

So, I put a BEAN drain in my tank, because it was supposed to be flood proof. It isn't :( After a power outage, after a restart, it surged and wouldn't balance. However, until this morning, it hadn't over-run the backup drain. I thought it would straighten itself out. All that changed this...
  4. J

The billionth BRS ICH thread

Well, I bought a starry blenny last week, acclimated it into my QT, and let it chill in there for a few days for observation. Looked good after a week, so I introduced him into my display. Now my tang and clown have ich like you read about. :mad: I mean COVERED. Looks like a salt mine. I...
  5. J

Reef Deal 20% Off EVERYTHING at Hamilton this weekend

Use the code MEM12 when you check out. Good through the 29th. http://www.hamiltontechnology.com/index.shtml
  6. J

LED strip for actinics

Who has them? What did you buy? Do you like them? Would you buy them again? If not, what would Plan B be? looking for some blue/actinic to supplement the 250MH on my new tank.....
  7. J

Almost, almost there

Water may be going into my tank tomorrow! :: :: I've got help coming to get the stand leveled out tomorrow afternoon. The columns underneath are in place. I've got water - ready to go I've got pipe run down to the fish room, just has to be tied in. The BEAN overflow is ready to go I've got...
  8. J

Return pump repair or replacement needed ASAP

Woke up this morning to find my return pump spewing water all over the ceiling of my fish room, which then dripped onto the floor. I figure about 120 gallons, so far. :( I use a reeflo tarpon, it is leaking from the housing. I'm not sure if there's a gasket in the housing which has failed; it...
  9. J

Please join me in Welcoming a new sponsor, OCReef!

Please welcome our newest sponsor, www.ocreef.com Say hello to Dave and his crew. Welcome!
  10. J

Really, really crappy discovery......

Well, it was time (finally) to put the tank on the new stand. The stars aligned, there were enough people at the house. The overflow was ready, the bulkheads were bought. New drill bits for clean overflow holes. A hundred feet of spaflex was coiled and waiting for connection. Holes have...
  11. J

Does anyone run a BEAN style overflow?

I've read dozens of pages on RC on the theory. Does anyone actually run one, especially to a basement system? I'd love to see one in operation, and pick the brains of someone on the application of the theory, in a real life setting. My plan is to use one on my 180, which is going to sit on...
  12. J

In tank flow?

Well, I tested my MP40w's, and they are both dead. One stalls, even with a new wetside and the spacer moved, the other doesn't even light up with a new power supply. Both out of warranty, very expensive paperweights. :( I have my modded Tunze nanostreams, and other than clips, they have been...
  13. J

Reef Deal Found on CL

not mine. "only" $650 http://westernmass.craigslist.org/for/2165268689.html
  14. J

Black Tang?

Has anyone had one? I saw one this weekend at a local store, and WOW what a pretty fish! Big $, wondering how hardy it is, and if it will co-exist with a yellow tang.
  15. J

On generator :(

A note to everyone here....CHECK your backup plan. The power has been out here for a couple of hours, and I discovered that in my recent fish room re-organization, I plugged my mail circulation pump into the circuit that does NOT have generator backup. (DOH!) I also had a feed line to a tank...
  16. J

November Meeting....are ya comin'?

We're thinking about getting the grill out for one last burgers-n-dogs meal for the meeting. So tell me....are ya comin? :) Help us get a head count!
  17. J

Algae and reef pest ID thread

We see a lot of reefers who have questions on 'what is this in my tank.' If you own a good picture of a pest algae or reef pest, post it here. If we get enough responses, I'm going to sticky the thread, for easier ID's for everyone.
  18. J

New Sponsor - Denise's Pet Care

Please join me in welcoming our newest sponsor...Denise's Pet Care in Mattapoisett, MA. Their website is at http://www.denisespetcarecenter.com/pages/cfHome.cfm and for our South Coast reefers, they're a great reefing resource. Stop over and say Hi! Please join me in extending our thanks for...
  19. J

That's too much like work!

120 gallon water change this morning, PHEW. Had let the WC schedule slide a little bit, so I did ~30%. system is a cloudy mess from stirring everything up :o Corals are ticked, but everything is poking back out. will check chemistry tonight after everything circulates, kind of threw half a...
  20. J

November Meeting and Annual Elections

We're holding our Annual Elections this year on Sunday, November 21. The meeting site is St. Mark's Parish Hall, 27 Main Street, Southborough, MA Our Speaker will be Dr. Randy Holmes-Farley, a noted reef tank chemist, and a truly excellent resource if you have reef-related chemistry questions...
Back