Search results

1. Sean Irwin

WTB Elos System 70

Looking to purchase an Elos System 70. I was hoping to purchase a new one, but Elos seems to only make large tanks now, and the US supplier appears to be defunct. An aquarium with a stand would be ideal, as would something made within the last 5-6 years. Thank you!
  2. Sean Irwin

Do you want LFSs to offer quarantined fish?

Most fish should be conditioned for some nominal amount of time to minimize the risk of post-shipping mortality, and having an angry customer who's (still stressed) fish dies. Some period of observation/treatment* in an isolated system makes sense, especially for species that are susceptible to...
  3. Sean Irwin

Apex controller system

I suppose some of that decision depends on the type of automation you'd like to use. If you want to be able to access the system remotely, through an app, your network, or the web; I would go with GHL. They've been around for at least a decade, plenty of time to optimize and debug their...
  4. Sean Irwin

WTB Candy Cane Pistol Shrimp

Hi All, My Candy Cane pistol shrimp sadly died after 15 years in captivity and my Yasha Goby is going a bit nuts without his shrimp buddy. I'd like to get a new shrimp ASAP. I can go a little over retail (usually around $30) but I won't tolerate price gouging. Please reply to this thread, and...
  5. Sean Irwin

Looking for some Reefkeeper parts

Hi Erik, I have a 2 power modules, an SLI, head unit, temp + pH probes, and assorted other parts. I recently upgraded, and they worked as of a few weeks ago. They're yours in exchange for a six pack of micro brew milk stout. Please PM me for details. -Sean
  6. Sean Irwin

Salt mix for large tank

Instant Ocean is a pretty solid choice. If you contact them directly, they might be able to provide a discount if you place a direct, bulk order. I don't know how "bulk" that order might have to be, though. Check Amazon and online petstores for subscription discounts too. It might be cheaper...
  7. Sean Irwin

Pipefish are spawning

Very cool fish. The fact that they're spawning is a testament to your care. When I had some, I was able to gradually ween them onto cyclops. Add the cyclops at the same time as the baby brine shrimp and they'll begin to associate both things as food. They easily took nutramar Ova without any...
  8. Sean Irwin

Garden eels in a mixed reef?

Garden eels are very challenging to keep. They're easily frightened (even by peaceful fish) and need to be kept in large groups. Some aquariums have used mirror backings to simulate a larger group but the lowest number if memory serves was 10 individuals. Garden eels live among or nearby...
  9. Sean Irwin

Ugh. May have a predator.

Seems like aggression to me. The pygmy angel does sound like the most likely culprit. I'd try to banish it to your refugium for a bit and see if anything changes. A bobbit worm capable of catching and eating such a large fish would be pretty noticable. A mantis shrimp is another possibility but...
  10. Sean Irwin

Need help loading new software rev2.04 on to my 2 reef keeper lite PC4s

I had trouble updating the firmware with my windows 10 machine too. They changes adaptors recently, and only the newer one works with Windows 10. I'll try to take a picture of the two that I have tonight. Posting a screenshot of the error message would be helpful.too.
  11. Sean Irwin

sea salt mix preferences

B-ionic sea salt, it takes a little longer to prepare but it's been extremely consistent and mixes cleanly.
  12. Sean Irwin

lights advice for 75g mixed reef?

Your choice of light should primarily be based upon your budget and especially the type of corals you want to keep. Beyond just a mixed reef, what species appeal to you? Even similar species vary greatly in terms of their light requirements. As for lighting, LED fixtures have significant...
  13. Sean Irwin

Qt with treated tap water?

I use the (dirty) water change water from my main tank in my QT. That way your new creatures can get acclimated to their new home, along with providing the bacteria required for denitrofication. That being said, tap water shouldn't be a problem. Just double check that your tap water treatment...
  14. Sean Irwin

Power outage

Hi All, With an Nor'easter approaching I'm offering some extra battery backup pumps for anyone to borrow. I have at least two available for use. If you need pumps please contact me at Sean.brooks.irwin at Gmail. I live in Somerville, close to 93. I won't be home until after 7 pm tonight.
  15. Sean Irwin

Rough Tank Move

I know how you feel. I lost most of my corals and inverts when I moved this summer but the thing that really got to me was a hitchhiker clam that came on my liverock over ten years ago. Fortunately you were able to catch it before loosing everything.
  16. Sean Irwin

Any old timers left?

I've had a tank since 2005 (I can't remember when I joined BRS though). I had one of those disaterous tank moves and nearly got out of the hobby. I've moved my tank multiple times and to three different apartments and never lost anything. That all changed this year... Instead of throwing in the...
  17. Sean Irwin

Back-up Generator Recommendations

If you have natural gas, you may want to consider whole house backup generators. They are more expensive but if you tend to lose power frequently they might be a better option. Probably the best piece of equipment you can buy are the silent air B11 air pumps that automatically turn on when the...
  18. Sean Irwin

Great Barrier Reef to Become Dreging Dump Yard

The current government in Australia hasn't exactly embraced the scientific community (in particular those who study climate change) but this is just mind blowing. How could anyone think that this is a good idea...
  19. Sean Irwin

I need your HELP!

Voted. Nice setup.
  20. Sean Irwin

Seasoned 28 gal jbj nano complete setup and fully stocked tank move help?

Moves are very stressful. It's best to let the fish recover for several days before inflicting more trauma. If you keep al the liverock corals, etc. there should be sufficient bacteria to prevent ammonia spikes. Using seasoned aquarium water will also help. Spacing liverock in the bucket should...
Back