Search results

1. Rick M

RO system stopped making water

I have a 2-1/2 year old 75 GPD 5 stage Air Water Ice system that has performed great up until now. I have replaced the cartridges a couple of times, most recently about 3 months ago. The last couple of months, the output has dropped to almost nothing. (think...
  2. Rick M

Help ! Reward Offered !

OK, so maybe the new Chromis were just not a healthy lot. Maybe that is why one disapperaed each night for 4 straight nights. Wrong.... Tonight I saw Sally Light Foot eating the remains of my (formally)perfectly healthy and happy medium sized Yellow Tang.:(:( I've tried trapping it a while...
  3. Rick M

Bombing the house for fleas and Reef Aquariums ?

My wife says the cat and two kids have fleas. She wants to bomb the house, I very wary, anybody have any input ? Thanks, Rick
  4. Rick M

Is this normal?

My 150g tank is about four months post cycle now, and everything is happy and healthly. For the last month or so, I have had to constatntly add carbonate to keep my Alk up at 8 dKh. All other paramneters seem good and steady, even calcium (400+), probably due to once a week 10% water changes...
  5. Rick M

Trap to borrow ?

Does anyone have a trap I can borrow? I have a Sally Lightfoot crab I want to remove. I can pick up at today's meeting and return to your location/home after use?!? Thanks, Rick M. PS: You can have the Sally if you like...:D
  6. Rick M

Think I need a peroxide dip ?

Well, my zoas are continuing their slow decline. Over the course of several weeks they have been slowly "disappearing", and I sometiomes see them melting away. I've heard of peroxide dips, to eradicate some small creature that may be eating the zoas. All my parameters seem fine, although I...
  7. Rick M

Dumb a** Hippo Tang

Has anyone ever done a study, scientific or not, on the intelligence of certain fish species? I've had a hippo tang and a cleaner shrimp for about a month each. The hippo never, I mean never, gave the cleaner shrimp even a 2nd look. In the mean time the cleaner shrimp tried half heartedly...
  8. Rick M

Dead Naso, what to do?

I need some advice, I am pretty sure my new Naso Tang has died, it was very bad off Christmas night, and I have not seen him/her since. If it has died, do I have to go find it and remove the carcas for water quality issues? The tang is/was about 3-4" long, my tank is a 150 gallon RR AGA with...
  9. Rick M

Need to return BRS Library Book...

I need to return a book I've had for several months. I have been unable to make the last several meetings, and want to ship it back. Does anyone know where I should send it? Thanks, Rick M
  10. Rick M

Help ! Leaky bulkhead

I just did my "wet" test on my new set up and everything held, except for the bulkhead fitting on my acrylic sump. It is on the pump intake and I can't get it to stop dribbling. I heard some people use silicone lube on the rubber gasket ? Can / should I use some aquarium silicone around...
  11. Rick M

Translucent Background

Has anyone made a translucent background for their reef tank? I saw pictures and read about them in Volume 3 of The Reef Aqurium (Delbeck & Sprung). It looks like you take a piece of blue translucent acylic along with a white piece (to diffuse the light), and somehow light it from behind or...
  12. Rick M

Where in sump to add water?

I am in the process of plumbing my basement sump for my 150g display. I will have a 3/4" pvc pipe from a pair of 20g tanks, one with straight RO/DI water for top off, the other with salt mixed in for water changes. My question is, where in the sump should this water drain into? I was...
  13. Rick M

Pump and Pipe size question

All: I have decided to buy a Gen-X Mak4 to pump the water from my basement sump to the 150gallon AGA RR upstairs. I will be using flexible PVC for the "up and down" piping. My question, the Gen-X has a 3/4" outlet, should I order 3/4" flex PVC, or should I use a bushing or adapter up to...
  14. Rick M

How do I set up a quarantine tank?

I've been reading about the advantages of quaratining your fish before putting them in the main tank. My question is, how do you set the QT up? I was thinking of having a little water pumped into a QT from the main sump, and returning it through a UV Sterilizer..... How do other people do...
  15. Rick M

Source for pump curves

I am looking to buy an external pump for my new 150 g reef set up. The tank overflows (2) are rated about 1200 gph total, so I need a pump that can pump about that amount, but with about 10 feet of head. I am concerned about power consumption, so I do not want to buy a monster then just choke...
  16. Rick M

Clams under T-5's ?

I've always heard you Have To Have Metal Halide lighting to keep clams. Has anyone tried / suceeded / failed with keeping clams under a t-5 set up? Thanks, Rick M
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back