Search results

1. I

GSP Removal.....

Hey guys, So I want to remove all the GSP and start over.....apart from the laborious manual removal which I heard does NOT work long term the stuff just grows back like a weed are there any other recommendations before I consider nuking the tank with FenBendazole....a dewormer but which I...
  2. I

Anyone trying out Turf or Algae Scrubbers?

Hi guys, So I have had, persistent purple algae issues with my 180 gallon tank. To combat it, ive tried adding Macro algae, which always grows well in the refugium! I added two clean up crews, that didnt even dent it! (although could never get Mexican Turbo Snails due to weather) I changed my...
  3. I

Lighting: T5 vs LED

Hi everyone, Just wanted to get some opinions. I have a Red Sea Max s650, 180 gallon system. I don’t do expert level corals or anything, beginner to novice hardy stuff. I have LEDs overhanging the tank, they are called ‘Intelligent LED’. They work, light up, but I’m worried that over time the...
  4. I

Any Reef Experts Able to Help out?

So I got a system about 18 months ago after maybe ten years being out of the game. It is a Red Sea s650, (180 Gallon tank) Its a very nice setup but running a business and young family means ive less time to be able to dedicate to it compared to my single life ten years ago. I would love to...
  5. I

Free Gone!!!!!Free Sump-Red Dea Max 650 Sump

Hi Free Red Sea Max 650 sump I’ll throw in a free RSM skimmer it came with too! You must come collect and remove it yourself. If it’s not collected within a couple of days it’ll end up in a dumpster, sorry but I need to empty my basement for a flooring job Won’t hold it for anyone, sorry first...
  6. I

BRS GFS not tumbling in reactor

Hi guys So I have a Spectrapure Dual cartridge reactor. I purchased new carbon and GFO from BRS and I’ve probably pulled the reactor apart several times since last night as I am not getting the tumbling of the GFO the way every single video I watch is getting it. I have a brand new pump for...
  7. I

Best Online Fish Store

Hey Everyone I am looking for some tangs, tried waiting here for some livestock to show up but it's pretty limited compared to years ago. Just wondering, what's the best place online to buy (fish only). I tried OnlineAquatics.org but they were out of stock for a few items. Ps if anyone is...
  8. I

Best Water Change Pump??

Hi all, Just wondering what you guys recommend for my situation Basically I bought a python siphon to dump water into my basement drain from the 1st/ground floor upstairs for water changes. I tried using a spare Main Red Sea Pump to pump from downstairs basement, along 50ft of hose, to the...
  9. I

Rio 2500 pump blew up

Hey all Just thought I'd report this to anyone using a Rio pump. Never had this happen before but I had a Rio pump 2500 version basically bust and leak oil into my water. It happened with the Salt prep holding brute tanks luckily for me. Smelled like diesel fumes is only way I could explain...
  10. I

Glue & silicone for acrylic, what is safe?

Hi, I am making a filter container from some acrylic, so I will be using glue, can you just use any glue or silicone or do I have to get the stuff from drfostersmith website? I have a 34gallon reef commuinity tank!
  11. I

Are these fish reef safe? Picasso Trigger & Lionfish

Hey, Still fairly new to the hobby so I want to be sure. I am hoping if I got them they wont destroy my reef which has some anenomies, some soft corals, a tube worm, some snails, some smaller fish and cleaner shrimp. Also do lionfish really sting? Anyone ever get a sting from one? Just...
  12. I

Where to house my reef/coral/livestock while I move?

Hey, I wish to buy a fully established set up with livestock, reef/coral etc from someone leaving the hobby! Obviously if I buy the tank setup I will have to remove the corals, and fish, some liverock with coral, and then drain the water before I can move the tanks into my new apartment. This...
  13. I

New to CT. Who is here???

Drop me a line if your in CT im moving there soon would like to know people in the area in the hobby
  14. I

Actinics, Metal halide or both for coralline start up???

Hi, Tank now cycled so on go the lights!! Just wondering, ive 100 Lbs or marco dry rock, and 10 lbs of live rock with good bits of coralline on there, should I use the actinics, metal halides, or both?? Or what lighting schedule would you recommend?? Thanks!
  15. I

Marco Rock

Excellent customer service Shipped exactly what I wanted Specific customer needs met (photos of what pieces I specifically requested) Excellent transportation Delivered as promised! Great rock! Thank you Marc!
  16. I

Marco rock, cycling, & when to put on lights??

Hey all, Its good to be back!! Basically ive just emptied my old system that was running for the guts of 9 months and decided to go the whole hog and get some biological filtration going. I bought 100 Lb's of Marco rock (nice rock!!) and I placed it in my existing tank (100 gallon), with...
  17. I

Powerhead choice?????

Hi, I have a 60"x24"x20" tank, 105 Gallons. Looking to keep simple soft corals that require the least amount of knowledge, expertise, maitenance and demand requirements. So from what i know and who i talked to they said go for soft corals for now, just until i gain some knowledge. So im...
  18. I

What else do i need to start up?

Ok, So I have the tank, the lights, im ordering the marco rock and some live rock to seed it, the tank has well matured its been up and running about 9 months now. Im ordering two tunze 6060 powerheads also. Background: tank 60"x24"x20" 105 US Gallons Eheim pro 2 external canister filter...
  19. I

Starting a reef!! Newbie to reefs please help

Hey all, Im new to the site I find it great. In short, I would really love to start off a reef, on the bare minimum of a budget. (still in college) Here is what I have just to give you an idea of my starting point. Tank: A 400 litre/85 Gallon tank. Filters: Internal filter Eheim 2...
  20. I

Shipping live rock overseas??? good idea?

Hi, Im in the boston area on vacation from Ireland and im thinking of bringing some good live rock back home if its a good idea. Its extremely expensive compared to the prices here so im wondering if its worthwhile to just buy it the day im going home and pop it in a suitcase. Ive no idea how...
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back