Search results

1. dakar652

Gone FREE Cheato in Worcester over by UMASS Campus

About a sandwich bag full...currently in water. No I won't deliver it to you. No I won't pay you to take it. East side of Worcester by the bridge to Shrewsbury. Shoot me a text if you'd prefer @5 owe ate-ate6ate-won owe7won It's free, and from a healthy system...please don't make me regret...
  2. dakar652

Fight Cancellation - Mr. and Mrs. Clown are stuck at the airport in Jacksonville

With my tank done cycling, I decided to invite my first two inhabitants over for a visit (for a small donation) and ordered some Black Ice Snowflake Clownfish on Sunday. Knowing they wouldn't ship until Monday, I spent all day hooking up my Apex and making certain everything was just right for...
  3. dakar652

Please don't flame me...Has anyone ever had their water tested at Petco?

So...my ammonia test kit has about 10 different colors representing differing levels of toxicity, but the first two are supposed to represent 0 and .25...now 0 would obviously be ok...but .25 is deadly. From my eyes, mine seems to be somewhere in the middle, but I can't really decide. Yeah...
  4. dakar652

Back in the tank :D

Coming back in for another go at this hobby. This will be my third time getting into reefing since 2008 when I moved above and beyond African Cichlids and set up a 20gal AllGlass with a 10gal sump and a CPR Hob overflow. That venture ended during the 2010 ice storm that knocked out my power in...
  5. dakar652

Seeking advice

So, I'm pretty embarrassed to even have to post this, but I've been a bad reef dad for some time now and have decided I either need to spend a considerable amount of time getting my tank where it needs to be, or shut it down and start over due to an algae bloom that I've been ignoring for months...
  6. dakar652

will this thing ever stop growing!

so i bought one of those ridiculously overpriced 'inferno' anemone a month or so ago from a snake oil salesman, and since then, this thing has exploded in size. if i don't feed it, the tips start looking wrinkly and start to whither. when i do feed it (once or twice a week, what I consider...
  7. dakar652

'NEW' PetCo in Shrewsbury

not really sure if this is of interest to anyone, but a new PetCo is opening right across the street from the old one in Shrewsbury on Rt.9...this is good for me, because i live 1 minute over the bridge across Lake Quinsiggamond in Worcester, and I frequent the old store. But also, this means a...
  8. dakar652

pH swing

Wow...never realized how much pH swings in my tank from nighttime to daytime. Now that my apex system is partially hooked up, I'm seeing readings 5 or so times a day...basically it swings between 8.0 and 8.3 for now...I even have a chunk of caluerpa in the 'sump' area with lighting opposite of...
  9. dakar652

Apex Gold Sytem kicking my teeth in.

Damn...this is one complex system. Anyone want to help me set it up :D Seriously though, I think I might have the most technologically advanced 30 gallon on the planet right now, but I don't even know what half this stuff on my dashboard is. Can anyone recommend any sets of videos or...
  10. dakar652

Vortech MP40w ES defaulting to constant mode?

I'm trying out my vortech for the first time, and I'm following as many instructions as I can find...when I first turn the pump on, I can set it to different modes, but when I let it sit for a minute, it keeps going back to constant mode at 50%...this is too much flow for my 30g. I just...
  11. dakar652

anyone ever dissect a t5 fixture

trying to decide on a course of action for the lighting of my not yet set up 60g cube and was wondering if taking apart my Odyssea 4x24" T5 light to make a kind of ghetto retrofit kit would be a good idea. i love that light and all the timer options, so was wondering if incorporating that setup...
  12. dakar652

Dry side bulkhead gaskets

just bought a tank from another member (I won't mention names because it was mostly my fault for not looking at the tank well enough before buying it) and there is a very large conchoidal fracture in the inside of the glass at the bulkhead for the return (although I plan to use it for a backup...
  13. dakar652

Any WP-10 Wavemaker users out there?

I've now had my setup for 2 months, and I'm just figuring out that the WP-10 Wavemaker is actually supposed to create a wave-like environment in my tank (30JBJ probably has a little over 20 gallons in the display). I just flipped it on 'else' and didn't worry about what all the other...
  14. dakar652

taking specific gravity down to an acceptable level

I try to not ask for help unless absolutely necessary, but here it is. I've been using a hydrometer (cue the comments) for quite some time, specifically the last month since I've rekindled my old flame with the reef hobby...I know it's heracy and sacrelige to even use the word hydrometer, and...
  15. dakar652

SA Mai Tai pairing with ORA Blood

Just got a SA Mai Tai from shawnb on the forum last weekend and i'm eying a ORA Blood Clown as a potential tank mate. Anyone forsee any issues with attempting this endeavor? To my knowledge, the Mai Tai is a cross between an Female Maroon and a male Ocellaris, and the Blood Orange is a...
  16. dakar652

ReReefer

Hello forum members. It's been quite some time since I've been active on the forum...probably 7 or 8 years ago I fell off the face of the earth and a few years after that, I lost my tank to the great ice storm of 2010 when my power went out for 2 entire weeks. Fast forward, I joined the...
  17. dakar652

Ugh...Pink Goniopora fading fast...are there any options now?

i have a goniopora #58 i purchased from krystal clear a month ago and it's gotten SOOOO sensitive to any vibration, movement, or noise around the tank, i think the polyps only see the light of day when no one is around to see it. it wasn't always like this though...when i took it home, it...
  18. dakar652

ro/di filter life

anyone know the approximate life of each individual variety of filters used in RO/DI units? i'm going to be ordering replacement filters for my recently purchased (used) 5 stage aquafx setup...and i'm thinking of ordering equal amounts of all media (2 sediment, 2 carbon, and 2 DI resin refill...
  19. dakar652

nutha newb - dudley, ma - tank breakdown

well...i've been trolling the forums for a few weeks now and i've finally decided to introduce myself. new to the whole s/w thang...my tank has been up and running for 4 months without a hitch (knock on wood) although i've already made my share of mistakes (the worst of which being the purchase...
Back