Search results

1. Doherty

Kinda odd finding

Hey guys, I been around for a while but never personally seen this was looking for thought and input. Was doing a bit of regular Maintenance on my MP 10, was starting to get built up with purple coraline algae so I decided to give it a vinegar bath to clean it up a bit before I go on vacation...
  2. Doherty

ATS vs Typical Fuge

Hey guys, I’m in the process of planning my sump layout for my upgrade that is going to take place in the next month. Was contemplating going the ATS route as opposed to the typical fuge and macro. I would be making my own ATS, lighting it with a Kessil H80 tuna flora. Was curious on...
  3. Doherty

Hydra 26 - Channel Percentages

Hey guys, I know alot of you guys have Hydra 26s. Was looking for input on what percentages you guys are running them at, to get the best growth. I'm happy with the color and how customizable they are, but I do feel I had better growth with my T5s when I had my old setup. At the moment, I'm...
  4. Doherty

Question regarding glass thickness for a rimless aquarium.

Hi, I'm looking to build a 18in x 18in x 18in rimless cube. Was looking for input on glass thickness. I'm thinking 1/4 glass will be thick enough, just wanted confirmation from the majority with experience in this area. Thanks Matt
  5. Doherty

Any Experience with CultivatedReef.com

Hey Everyone, was looking to see if anyone had any personal experience with purchasing fish from CultivatedReef.com one of our sponsors..... They have some decent prices and was looking to pick up a couple pairs of juvenile clowns. The B+W (Darwin) Ocellaris are cheaper even with the shipping...
  6. Doherty

Clown Fish Question

Hey everyone, I'm looking to see if anyone has been successful with keeping clowns in small groups long term , and if so which breeds.... There are many differing opinions about this. I have always had clowns, however they had only been in separate pairs. I would be looking to keeping them in a...
  7. Doherty

My Re-Build

Hi everyone, after being tankless for about 3.5 years I'm finally started things back up again. My plan is for this to be a multi-tank setup all tied together via sump. The main display is a 40 gallon breeder which was given to me by Shane (S_Kelley) thanks again!!! Along with 2, 10 gallon Nano...
  8. Doherty

RO Membrane Question

Hi everyone, quick question. I had purchased a RO unit a little over a year ago, never used it because I have been tankless for a few years now. Finally looking to make some today..... So I set it up, installed the RO membrane, set it up...... It is producing water, however it appears to be...
  9. Doherty

MH/Ballast Question, also opinions

Hi everyone have a few questions and looking for opinions on MHs. I will be starting back up again after a few years of being tankless. I will be setting up a 40 breeder that was given to me by S_Kelly (thanks again Shane). I had wanted to use my 150 w MH pendant fixture, however I'm not sure if...
  10. Doherty

Epoxy Question

Quick question..... Is there any difference between the 2 part epoxy sticks you can find at Home Depot and the branded "hold fast" by instant ocean and other similar epoxy's that are marketed for aquarium use. I have always used the aquarium brands, but if safe the epoxy sticks found at HD are...
  11. Doherty

Bulk Reef Supply 2 Part Daily Dosing Question

Probably a stupid question...... but I'm not 100% sure on this. I have always used an alternative 2 part solutions to maintain my calcium and alk.... per their instructions said to use equal amounts of A+B during dosing. And I'm not sure is this is consistent with BRS 2 part. Depending on...
  12. Doherty

My LPS Tank....... Over Time

Figured I would join in on tank progress pics thread. This tank filled in late February 2010..... and has mad a few changes since. My Build Thread: http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=93192 First pic was taken 2/27/10.... just after filling.
  13. Doherty

Wrasse ID Please

Hey Everyone....... I dont normally do this, but I purchased this fish without researching first, or really knowing the specific requirements for this beautiful fish. Here is the reason why.... There was a thread started about a fish store going put of business and there was drastic discounts...
  14. Doherty

Flower Anemone from CRA

I swung by CRA this afternoon and found this bad boy, I have seen a bunch of flower anemones....... but I have never one with this coloration. It is a orangeish red color. I just wanted to share it with everyone........ If you go by there there Jeremy and Ruth have prob like 4 others of the same...
  15. Doherty

Onyx Clown Question

About how old do the clowns need to be before they begin to increase their black markings......... The reason I ask is because I aquired a pair of true percula clowns about 15 months ago, who at the time were very young...... prob about 3-4months old. These were tank raised at my favorite place...
  16. Doherty

Pics from my Clown/Nem Tank

I figured I would post up a few pics I just took from my clown/nem tank. It still needs some filling out to do....... I'm in the process of collecting various color morps of BTA's. I currently have 7 BTA's in this tank now. And always looking for other colors to add to it. Light Green x 1...
  17. Doherty

Openion Ushio 20k bulbs

Just picked up a Ushio 20k bulb, I really like the color. Was wondering if anyone had personal experience with coral growth, PAR ratings with these bulbs. Had Ushio 10k bulbs...... great growth loved the brand, I know with 20k bulbs you wont see as great growth r/t spectrum ...... was...
  18. Doherty

Overflowing Skimmer Help

Hey everyone I have a Super Reef Octopus XP-2000 Cone In sump Skimmer. It is only about 3 weeks old, I unplugged it to do a bit of maintenance and since I restarted it...... it has been overflowing....... it is putting a ton of water in the collection cup. I have the valve completely open and it...
  19. Doherty

Newly Mixed SW Question

This is the first time I have had to make a large batch of SW before (60 gallons) So I'm not sure if this is normal. I am using IO salt. Mixed up a batch last night around 7pm, and woke this morning to the water still very cloudy. I have multiple power-heads circulating the water, I'm...
  20. Doherty

Where to find a large Plastic Barrel

I am in the process of upgrading my tank system. I'm going from 20g to a little over 70 gallons. I am in need of one of those large heavy duty plastic barrels that hold 50+ gallons. I need to make one big batch of water. Does anyone know where I can get one of these? Thanks :)
Back