Search results

1. J

Back in the game

Finished my 10 gal nano over the summer, I had been out of the game for a few years. Just went to see Dong who set my up with some great pieces. This little guy is ultum nature systems back when they sold direct to consumer, I’ve hung on to it for years since it’s all low iron glass. Drilled...
  2. J

FS Getting out - Coral and Fish for sale

all sold thanks everyone!
  3. J

All livestock pending!!
  4. J

Hi all, I'm going to shut down my tank, lack of time to even enjoy it these days unfortunately. Sorry the pics are washed out a bit blue, this is for all livestock. Looking to sell it all, $450. pickup in Blackstone MA - Will set up the tank and run it out in the garage so everyone can keep a...
  5. J

Clown in Zoa

Could never get a clownfish to live in anything but pumps, weirdly enough this little guy is captive bred
  6. J

COWLR

Coral only with live rock, downsized to a 7 gal. ultum nature system tank drilled with 1/2 inch lines to a 5 gal sump in the cabinet. There's a doser down below adding alk and calcium. I was looking for absolute minimal maintenance and it doesn't get much easier, no feeding required!
  7. J

led and t5

If you have a decent LED set up you should be able to grow. You will do no harm supplementing with T-5's though, they're tried and true. I've used ati blue plus as a good boilerplate supplement for years.
  8. J

Alternatives to anemones for clowns

I tried in order hammer, frogspawn, bubble, toadstool, nothing. Added a torch and the clown started hosting the bubble coral. :confused:
  9. J

Rando stylo peeling?

Has anyone had this happen before? Only coral affected, seems to randomly have small parts dying off. Started about two weeks ago, and little by little been spreading. Temp 78 - alk 9.0dkh - cal 400 - ph 8.1 kind of at a loss. I dose randy's recipe, automatic doser every hour spits out alk...
  10. J

replacement UV filter?

Good question, mine definitely broke like it was tempered and I *believe* tempered glass blocks more uv (something like equivalent to spf15 sunblock) But I've only been to university of Google on this for the past week
  11. J

replacement UV filter?

Correct sorry it was the tempered glass uv filter on my metal halides. I guess de metal halides are jacketed in Quartz not glass, and quartz doesn't block uv. Glass shop wanted $40 for a replacement, got a 500w floodlight with tempered glass panel almost exactly the same size and thickness for...
  12. J

replacement UV filter?

Hi all, anyone know where I can find a replacement UV filter? On of my DE filters shattered :( Side note how bad is it to keep running w/o a filter? It's enclosed so no UV is getting into the room but I'm a bit concerned about coral.
  13. J

Cyanobacteria and link to ALS?

Was listening to NPR and looked into this. Is there a risk more so for reefers? Tanks all closed up indoors, even though my tank is looking good I know there's cyano in every tank. http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/are-algae-blooms-linked-to-lou-gehrig-s-disease/
  14. J

DIY - use light heat for tank

This is the python script I'm running on my pi, works with one or more DS18B20 sensors. I'm logging to mysql but you can also just 'cat' the sensor listed in /sys/bus/w1/devices #!/usr/bin/python # -*- coding: utf-8 -*- import os import fnmatch import time import MySQLdb as mdb...
  15. J

resolving voltage leak?

Hi All, I have a small voltage leak from just the enclosure of one of my MH fixtures. About 1 to 2 milliamps. While the enclosure itself it supported by wood and insulated it's still measurable. If I span a multimeter from the enclosure to ground the GFCI kicks in and shuts that party down...
  16. J

50 gallon Raspberry pi powered reef (pics heavy)

Just upgraded from my 34 deep blue cube to a 50 gallon. We were looking for a tank that gave us more real estate, but didn't dominate the space like a 75 or 90 would. With the plumbing out of the back the tank only comes 17" off the wall, and is 48" long. I diy'd everything but the doser...
  17. J

ATO, yes or no?

100% agree you won't regret the ATO! Honestly every piece I've automated has made the hobby that much more enjoyable. My functions right now are to make sure my alk/calcium and RO containers are full, put food in the tank, and clean up after my biggest turbo snail blazes a path of destruction.
  18. J

34 Solana update

I have a tiny dispar anthias in there too right now. I had a sixline wrass who after four years jumped last month :( and my Chromis of 5 yrs died last week unfortunately. I'm tempted to restock but it's been so long without issues, and I'd have to set up the Qt....I'm always paranoid about...
  19. J

34 Solana update

Still growing strong, had to scoot this tank across the house as the sun started to track onto it. This is a 34 gal discontinued deep blue cube, with the stand it comes in about 6.5 feet tall. Underneath is a 10 gallon sump, sca-150 skimmer two 150w heaters, jebao 4 channel dosing pump, lights...
Back