Search results

1. J

Back in the game

Finished my 10 gal nano over the summer, I had been out of the game for a few years. Just went to see Dong who set my up with some great pieces. This little guy is ultum nature systems back when they sold direct to consumer, I’ve hung on to it for years since it’s all low iron glass. Drilled...
  2. J

FS Getting out - Coral and Fish for sale

Hi all, I'm going to shut down my tank, lack of time to even enjoy it these days unfortunately. Sorry the pics are washed out a bit blue, this is for all livestock. Looking to sell it all, $450. pickup in Blackstone MA - Will set up the tank and run it out in the garage so everyone can keep a...
  3. J

Clown in Zoa

Could never get a clownfish to live in anything but pumps, weirdly enough this little guy is captive bred
  4. J

COWLR

Coral only with live rock, downsized to a 7 gal. ultum nature system tank drilled with 1/2 inch lines to a 5 gal sump in the cabinet. There's a doser down below adding alk and calcium. I was looking for absolute minimal maintenance and it doesn't get much easier, no feeding required!
  5. J

Rando stylo peeling?

Has anyone had this happen before? Only coral affected, seems to randomly have small parts dying off. Started about two weeks ago, and little by little been spreading. Temp 78 - alk 9.0dkh - cal 400 - ph 8.1 kind of at a loss. I dose randy's recipe, automatic doser every hour spits out alk...
  6. J

replacement UV filter?

Hi all, anyone know where I can find a replacement UV filter? On of my DE filters shattered :( Side note how bad is it to keep running w/o a filter? It's enclosed so no UV is getting into the room but I'm a bit concerned about coral.
  7. J

Cyanobacteria and link to ALS?

Was listening to NPR and looked into this. Is there a risk more so for reefers? Tanks all closed up indoors, even though my tank is looking good I know there's cyano in every tank. http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/are-algae-blooms-linked-to-lou-gehrig-s-disease/
  8. J

resolving voltage leak?

Hi All, I have a small voltage leak from just the enclosure of one of my MH fixtures. About 1 to 2 milliamps. While the enclosure itself it supported by wood and insulated it's still measurable. If I span a multimeter from the enclosure to ground the GFCI kicks in and shuts that party down...
  9. J

50 gallon Raspberry pi powered reef (pics heavy)

Just upgraded from my 34 deep blue cube to a 50 gallon. We were looking for a tank that gave us more real estate, but didn't dominate the space like a 75 or 90 would. With the plumbing out of the back the tank only comes 17" off the wall, and is 48" long. I diy'd everything but the doser...
  10. J

34 Solana update

Still growing strong, had to scoot this tank across the house as the sun started to track onto it. This is a 34 gal discontinued deep blue cube, with the stand it comes in about 6.5 feet tall. Underneath is a 10 gallon sump, sca-150 skimmer two 150w heaters, jebao 4 channel dosing pump, lights...
  11. J

Tyree toadstool babies...How to stop them!?

Hi all, not sure what to do with this one. Back in July my big Tyree toadstool started looking funny, and a few weeks later dropped off a baby clone. That was neat, but fast forward and it's dropped 7 of these, with two or three more on the way. Why?! I would say my levels are very stable...
  12. J

Storing saltwater concentrate/slurry?

Wondering if anyone does this, I'm automating my water changes but delivering dry salt is problematic. Is it better to use a brine (I've heard 4x salinity is the limit) or is a slurry ok? I'm looking to have it stored in two week intervals, my concern is that cal or other elements will...
  13. J

High pressure to rodi

Hi all, so I recently sold my home and now live in a condo. When I went to hook up my RODI all was well, however overnight the hoses I bought to go from the washer to the rodi unit was clearly bulging and a small drip had formed. Thought it was a fluke, bought another hose rated for 125 psi...
  14. J

3D Scan of 34 gal solana.

Trying to get it to deal with the reflection off the glass better, but I think this is super cool. Choose 3d view from the menu under the image. Done with an iphone and the 123d free app from autocad. Will try again when I have more time! http://www.123dapp.com/catch/34solana/3778412
  15. J

New solana 34, 150w or 250w?

Hi all, so I just picked up the new solana 34 and I have my choice of wattage here. Should I go with a 150w or 250w MH? The 150 is already the perfect size, small. The 250 is in a 26" enclosure with 4xT5's, so I would have to dismantle the enclosure and pull the T5's to match the solanas 20"...
  16. J

Heater shattered

Hi all, anything awful in these heaters? I had one of my two shatter, did a 30% wc and am running carbon but it's looking pretty awful in there. SPS are still alive but I would say they've lost all color tank-wide. LPS not great but in much better shape, softies not having any of it either...
  17. J

2 years of growth

Got these three big LPS as frags about the size of a thumb, two years on they are getting big. That ricordia in the front is an inch across for reference
  18. J

ballast recommendation?

Hey all, recommendations on a 250 ballast for my 14k Pheonix 250w DE bulb? Not afraid to do my own wiring, just been forever since I've had to buy a new ballast.
  19. J

Chinese mh, thoughts?

I saw this 250w + t5's on ebay, anyone had any experience with them? http://www.ebay.com/itm/291082384807
  20. J

open letter - may switch to MH from LED

Let me just start with I have been arguably one of the biggest LED proponents. I have a 20" diy rapid led setup with full spectrum green, red, royalblue, blue, cool whites AND uv. All run by a diy linux controller, web output, the works. It's about a legit as it can get. I set up a small 4...
Back