Search results

1. gobyvin

Tropic Marin Pro reef Issues | Condensed Threads

Disappointing story. I would suggest moving on and never buying TROPIC MARIN again. NSW is the way to go if you can collect it! Saves big money over time. Metal contamination can bind to Ca based rocks and the skeletons of growing creatures, so I suspect just water changes can not fix a tank...
  2. gobyvin

Ocean Water

I would suggest storing indoors if you can. Too much light/crap/temp swings outside, but if covered properly on a platform- I think Greg Hiller is absolutely right. As for the pathogens/parasites concern- I think that is not an issue at all. How much would people pay for clean sea water...
  3. gobyvin

Ocean Water

I should qualify that my UV ideas stem from suspicion that nuisance algae could come in with the NSW. Honestly, it exists no matter what we seem to do so I have not acted on it yet. My current problem is lack of herbivores, but I plan to get some more.
  4. gobyvin

Ocean Water

I have not done this but do the same as others. I am contemplating a UV inline with my mixing station pump though. I bump alk, and salinity with 1 cup salt mix per 20 gallons to get our local 30 ppt up to 33.5 or so at 75F. I don’t bother with Ca but if doing really big WC I would consider...
  5. gobyvin

Looks like a sow bug

They are good, an algae eating rock cleaner.
  6. gobyvin

Looks like a sow bug

Definite chiton. An eight-shelled (jointed) snail. Herbivorous. Very pretty.
  7. gobyvin

HELP PLEASE!!!!

Small Being nothing over 1.5”
  8. gobyvin

HELP PLEASE!!!!

I would stick to 2-3 small fish and count your inverts as bioload too. That is a commonly overlooked factor in this hobby.
  9. gobyvin

Couldn’t not take a picture

I love it when fish use the corals for perches!
  10. gobyvin

Paul B's thread

That looks like Winthrop Beach! I grew up there. Try the harborside for amphipods. Many more there than the oceanfront. The pools around the breakwaters at low tide may have some but I used to get mine from swishing clumps of algae in a bucket, mostly in summer, but it might not be too late...
  11. gobyvin

Gone trade for 120g w/stand/sump?

Hello! I would like to make plans to come up and get the tank/deliver your new 40B. The tank you will get should be free of scratches. It was purchased new by me, and had little use. It will come with new glass versa top if you need it. Just send me a text or message here what days/times are...
  12. gobyvin

Need of larger tank

I have a truck and can easily transport almost any tank you can throw at us. Ideally looking for a 6-8’, shallower (less than or 24” depth) that is drilled with overflows.
  13. gobyvin

Need of larger tank

Hi All, I have reached out to some that had recent posts already, but not found a donor yet. The Marine Science Classes at BMC Durfee High School of the City of Fall River Ma is in need of a new aquarium to receive the reef that is flourishing and built largely on the generosity of people that...
  14. gobyvin

Chiller repair?

What HP rating is your chiller? Also, if you can get it to not trip by reducing load on the circuit it could be overloaded anyway, under 15 amps. A 15 amp breaker will trip before you hit 15 amps. Another idea is maybe you are o. A GFCI outlet? They are notoriously finicky and easily tripped...
  15. gobyvin

Chiller repair?

When are you taking the amperage readings and how (what device) are you using to read it? When you plug the chiller in the compressor will start and the instantaneous amperage draw is sometimes 4-5 times running amperage draw. This is referred to as locked rotor amperage. The high...
  16. gobyvin

Henri

I have a 3500 watt harbor freight that has got me through a five day outage before- hurricane Irene. Still going strong, they are t too bad
  17. gobyvin

Return pump question.

Coral Box DC pump 12000 is a beast, and controllable. They make smaller ones too. Turn it down to your desired flow rate and save money. I suggest plumbing it with max size return plumbing of 1.5" to multiple eductors or 3/4 return spouts if you really want to take advantage of the DC pump...
  18. gobyvin

Henri

Get your backup power together in RI/CT/SE MA/Cape and Islands I hope they are wrong.
  19. gobyvin

Who freakin designs this stuff....men

Love not hate. If you don’t like them package them up and return as new. Get something else. I have had great luck with Reefbreeders.
  20. gobyvin

Bug bomb??

I would not do it.
Back