Search results

1. I

Sold 75 Gallon Setup

Everything is sold. It was a good run!!!
  2. I

Sold 75 Gallon Setup

I don't really know. I used to have a wall of rock, but paired it down to two islands. The extra rock is in a bucket. I had estimated at 100+ pounds
  3. I

Sold 75 Gallon Setup

$300 for Everything. Located in Marblehead. Can help teardown. Reef ready fish tank, stand, all supplies, and a few fish and corals Glass 75 gal. with overflow, drilled to bottom (48x18x21) White stand with 30 gal. glass sump (3 partitions) Rock 100lbs +/- Aqua Gadget MidSize WaveLink DC...
  4. I

Dinos and Cotton Candy Algae - need a turn around

Progress. After 4 days of blackout the tank looks the best it has a while. Dinos are not there...let's recheck tonight! The 2 clowns, tang, clam, and at least 1 of the new mexican turbos look good. I put in 3 mexican turbos at the blackout. I see 1 moving around but don't see the shells of the...
  5. I

2 Part Dosing: How much do you dose

If you are tired of mixing 2 part, make a big batch. LOL. I was using 1 gallon containers but these are better - 2.5 gallon camping water storage bags. Hard to beat the cost of 2 part when you make it yourself...
  6. I

Rebooting a ~10 year old reef with old rocks

Just a thought, but if you put in nitrate, you will want something to consume it back up. You mentioned a refugium. In theory, you should be able to put in nitrate until nitrate is positive and po will become zero. Something will grow, of course, and the trick it to control it. It will be...
  7. I

Lights are 6 t5. The bulbs are 5-6 months old over a 75. unit is about 10 inches off the water. I had a red/purple light over the refugium, but it never really grew chaeto. I blame my low nutrients, though, not the light.
  8. I

They are there at night and in the morning. No noticeable change. I can only assume that my dinos are not the ones that float in the water column and these wouldn't be killed by UV. Thus, I do not plan on going that route. Dinos seem to represent an imbalance in a ULN system. Cotton candy...
  9. I

My first thought (8 months ago) was that it would correct itself on its own. But the brown never really went away...and then became worse. I will cut out the light and put black plastic around it. I will keep it that way for 3 days. And perhaps reduce the light cycle. In terms of nutrient load...
  10. I

This approach says NO to adding nitrates and phosphates, correct? I do need the wrap up the tank to remove the lighting. I forgot to add that to my list. I will stop by European Aquatics on the ride home to see if they have Vibrant. Otherwise, I will order...
  11. I

Here is the problem - I have done most of what you have suggested for months, trying different approaches. Things I have tried 1 - 5 gallon water changes every other day. Basically, I suck 5 gallons of water siphoning out the sides, edges, rocks etc. Doesn't seem to have any effect. The tank is...
  12. I

normal turbos don't seem to eat the cotton candy algae. The other problem is that feeding a frozen cube every other day isn't changing nitrate/phosphate levels. I bought some pellet food to throw in there too. I guess I don't really understand your theory. Am I just relying on Vibrant / MB7 to...
  13. I

My order of MicroBacter7 and NeoPhos and NeoNitro arrived. My goal is to increase nitrates and phosphates. Also adding MicroBacter7. The odd thing about MicroBacter7 is that it is used to reduce nitrates and phosphates. I believe the theory is that it will add organisms that will outcompete the...
  14. I

I assume you are saying that Reef Flux or vibrant for the cotton candy, right? The specs say it will kill bryopsis, but is not effective against hair or other turf style algae. I will give it a little research...
  15. I

App to help record parameters

I may have that somewhere. Cool work of art!! I don't have a computer near the tank, otherwise I would use it. if i have to write it on paper then enter it, i won't do it. I know myself...
  16. I

Nitrates - 0 Phosphate (hanna ul) - 0 Alk 8.5 (was about 7) Cal 500 (bringing down) Salt 1.025 Temp 82 (was 78) Mag 1500 I have been frustrated with cotton candy algae as I cannot seem to control it. If Mexican turbos cannot be purchased reliably, then the tank will go nuts. I tried starving...
  17. I

App to help record parameters

I was thinking of using an app to enter my test results. Anyone have any recommendations? I saw a minor discussion using Aquarium Notes or Aqualog, but that was 7 months ago. I have been using a piece of paper for years. Maybe seeing in a chart will help me understand how things are moving...
  18. I

Lobed Brain Coral puffy and removal of refugium

Yes, the change in recommendations has answered some questions, but killed my tank too. My tanks always had 0 phos 0 nitrates, which I thought was good. No matter what I did, it wouldn't change. Then came cotton candy. To reduce it, you need to reduce nitrates. Still 0 / 0. Now the tank is ULN...
  19. I

Lobed Brain Coral puffy and removal of refugium

Add ?Use refugium as a filter that can be tuned. Another option is to reduce the light schedule, as it should help control the growth.
  20. I

Cotton candy algea in sump

did this work? I am guessing it didn't. If you are able to starve the cotton candy, you will also starve your corals and they will die. Just a hunch. I have battled cotton candy and am on the verge of giving up and restarting. I am here now looking for something that works. BTW, mexican...
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back