Search results

1. I

Sold 75 Gallon Setup

$300 for Everything. Located in Marblehead. Can help teardown. Reef ready fish tank, stand, all supplies, and a few fish and corals Glass 75 gal. with overflow, drilled to bottom (48x18x21) White stand with 30 gal. glass sump (3 partitions) Rock 100lbs +/- Aqua Gadget MidSize WaveLink DC...
  2. I

Dinos and Cotton Candy Algae - need a turn around

Nitrates - 0 Phosphate (hanna ul) - 0 Alk 8.5 (was about 7) Cal 500 (bringing down) Salt 1.025 Temp 82 (was 78) Mag 1500 I have been frustrated with cotton candy algae as I cannot seem to control it. If Mexican turbos cannot be purchased reliably, then the tank will go nuts. I tried starving...
  3. I

App to help record parameters

I was thinking of using an app to enter my test results. Anyone have any recommendations? I saw a minor discussion using Aquarium Notes or Aqualog, but that was 7 months ago. I have been using a piece of paper for years. Maybe seeing in a chart will help me understand how things are moving...
  4. I

Have you ever wondered what would happen if...

you were making 2 part and tried to mix 500 grams of baking soda and 594 grams of calcium chloride in the same 2 gallon water bottle? The result is a big mess! You don't have to try this yourself to experience the eruption....or maybe you do. I had set the bottle with the baking soda on the...
  5. I

Backup power - Idea, thoughts, solutions?

Trying to figure out how to protect my tank from power outages during the winter. Goals: What does it take to survive 24 hours, 48 hours, 3 days or longer in winter? For 3 days or longer, I think one needs a gasoline generator. But for the other 2, can batteries work? Spess: Run minimum...
  6. I

Lobed Brain Coral puffy and removal of refugium

You may not know me personally, but know I like long convoluted posts. I will try to be brief. For years I have never been able to grow acans. I have complained about it too. My new lobed brain coral came to me puffy from a neglected tank. Within a few days it deflated and rarely showed...
  7. I

Storage containers for 2 part solutions?

I am looking for cheap (emphasis on cheap) clear dosing contains to store 2 part. Idealing would be square or rectangle but more tall than spread out, and hold at least 2.5 gallons. Currently I am using 2.5 gallon water jugs, but they seem to get small cracks in the corners after six months to...
  8. I

What to do with used carbon?

Should I put the used carbon around trees? With plantings? Is it good for drainage? Just seems strange to dump it in the trash.
  9. I

How to know if you have too much light?

I am (slowly) coming to the conclusion that I may have put too much light on my tank. So I moved my light higher and it is currently 9 inches off the water. How will I know if it needs to go higher or lower, and when will those signs appear? I picked the magic number of 9 inches because that was...
  10. I

Id help

New corals from a friend who is shutting tank down. I need info so I can look up to determine the predatory nature of the coral and its feeding requirements. The first one appears brown and appears to have an eye. It could be brown because of the prior tanks high nutrient load. I saw many...
  11. I

Help with skimmer pump replacement

I have a AquaMaxx ConeS CO-1 in-sump skimmer. The pump is a Shark 1.5, modified Sicce 2.0 Syncra. I need a new pump and impeller. I think the old one got stuck, heated up, and caused the inside chamber of the pump to crack in two places.The pump is currently out of stock at MarineDepot. I...
  12. I

ATO float switches sticking

I have a Reef Fanatics ATO. https://premiumaquatics.com/products/reef-fanatic-auto-top-water-level-controller-2-sensors.html It uses 2 float switches - 1 as primary and 2nd as backup. My research shows that you are to clean them every few months. How are people cleaning them? I fear if I...
  13. I

WaveLink DC Flow Pump 2300 GPH - AUQA Gadget Midsize - Innovative Marine

Anyone try one? I need another powerhead, hopefully variable. I have given up on Jebaos. I have purchased three of those and none lasted longer than a year. These Auqas look like Jebao (which is a great design shape) just hope they perform a lot better. Still cannot convince myself to...
  14. I

How to slow release feed a single frozen cube of food? Need ideas

I am looking for a means of feeding my fish frozen food where that cube is slow released over time, such as over a time period of a couple of hours. My thought is that if the food is disbursed over a longer period of time, as opposed to simply dumping it in, more of it will be eaten by the...
  15. I

ATO recommendations - specs noted

I am looking for a new ATO. -pump must be able to fit in mouth of a standard 5 gallon water jug. Hard to tell pump size from most descriptions of ATOs -must have a sensor to turn off when jug is empty. -no Aqualifter concepts. My siphons and has a crappy draw. -easy to use The...
  16. I

When tests read ZERO, yet algae abound...why aren't corals happy?

So when phosphates and nitrates are measured at zero, but there is bubble algae, then the tank clearly has some phosphate and nitrates or it wouldn't grow. The theory is that the nitrates/phosphates are coming from the rocks and the algae grabs it before it makes it to the water column. ...or...
  17. I

Increasing Nitrates by increasing GFO?

I guess I am trying to better understand two key points 1 - how one can have bubble algae with 0 phosphates and 0 nitrates (tested at consumer grade equipment) and 2 - why corals "stave" or "bleach" when GFO is used (at zero phosphates) If you want to increase nitrates in a ULN tank...
  18. I

Alkalinity and burnt acro tips

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/11/chemistry http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1297225 http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2016/9/aafeature I came across the last thread where Randy Holmes was soliciting observations about the effects of high alkalinity on corals. After...
  19. I

Just discovered I am grandparent...or something

Was looking at my sump, as I often do, and saw this sitting in the macros. These must be the parents. I had no idea she was pregnant. No idea how the baby survived as I haven't been feeding it anything special. The is a small clown that must be a runt living in the sump too...
  20. I

Covering overflow ideas?

I am looking for ideas to prevent light (and algae growth) from happening in my overflow box. My new ATI light is wider than my prior one. As such light pours into the overflow box. I just noticed that bubble algae is growing on the drain grate for the overflow and restricting flow to the...
Back