Search results

1. GobyWanKenobie

Red Sea ABCD elements

I did something dumb and bought the Red Sea ABCD elements because it said it was based on calcium usage. I was expecting it to be based on a range of 400 to 500 ppm, not on the dosage amount of Red Sea calcium. I don't use Red Sea calcium. I use ESV A and B. Is there a way for me to still...
  2. GobyWanKenobie

RODI cartridges

Are all the rodi carbon filter cartridges the same? Does it have to be an aquarium store or can I order the home water filter cartridges from Amazon?
  3. GobyWanKenobie

Auto Top Off Recommendation Needed

What's the best auto top off to buy for someone who is using a 5 gallon bucket that they fill manually? He does not want to tap into his water pipe, but he does not want to pour water into his tank everyday.
  4. GobyWanKenobie

Nitrates on the rise

What's a good way to reduce nitrates? My foxface ate all the beneficial macroalgae in my tank. It is an all-in-one RSM 250 so I do not have a sump and cannot easily install any kind of reactor for biopellets.
  5. GobyWanKenobie

Mushroom Headache

I have way too many red spotted mushrooms so I tried pulling/cutting removing them from my rocks. The next day two of my favorite chalices had rtn. I managed to get it under control, but now I don't know how to remove these mushrooms. Apparently, they give off some kind of nasty poison. I'm...
  6. GobyWanKenobie

Interesting video on saving the reef

My friends daughter, Erin, is part of this research group out of Rutgers. This is a great video of what they are learning about stress in corals.
  7. GobyWanKenobie

Used carbon

Is there another use for old carbon? I've been throwing it out, but now I wonder if I should rinse it and put it in the garden or something. Any ideas?
  8. GobyWanKenobie

Maroon clown is nesting?

My maroon clown has been in the tank for a couple of years. All of a sudden she has decided to redecorate. She's making a mess with her tail and moving snails and small pebbles with her mouth. I'm getting tired of digging my corals out. Should I try to get her a mate or will she eventually stop?
  9. GobyWanKenobie

Carbon

What's a good carbon to use in a filter bag in my media basket?
  10. GobyWanKenobie

ESV Alkalinity

This is the first time using this product, and I can't get it to fully dissolve so that I can mix it with RODI. I have had it warming up in 190 degree water all day, and there is still slush and gravel type chunks in there. Should I strain it and mix it or give it another day to dissolve?
  11. GobyWanKenobie

When to change filter media

It had been 4 months since I changed my filter media including my Chemipure Blue. The next day my green stag was bleached, and now I'm struggling to save another acro. After testing my phosphates, I noticed a significant drop. It's a catch 22. I thought I was doing a good thing. Should I...
  12. GobyWanKenobie

Phytoplankton culture question

I have been working with this phytoplankton culture for over a year (Thank you Dong), and recently it's been acting different. It's a very dark green, but after 3 or 4 days, it starts to lighten in color and pieces of dark green settle on the bottom. After I shake the bottle, it's great for...
  13. GobyWanKenobie

Acclimating SPS to lights

When you acclimate your new sps, do you slowly raise them on the rockscape until you reach the desired location or do you go directly from the sandbed to where you want them in the end? I'm getting tired of moving things around. There must be a better way.
  14. GobyWanKenobie

Kent CB Part A & B no longer available?

I need to switch my doser from Kent CB Parts A&B to something else. I only want to make these adjustments once. What is preferred, the BRS products or SeaChem? I don't want to mix my own, so liquid is my choice.
  15. GobyWanKenobie

Yellow tang stopped eating

I have had this tang for a few years. There are no spots or signs of injury. Other than not eating, it looks healthy. Two weeks ago I introduced a small mandarin goby into the tank and last Saturday I added a few corals. All my parameters are the same as usual, and everything/everyone else...
  16. GobyWanKenobie

Feather Duster

I recently bought a feather duster that has started to come out of his tube. I haven't seen his feather head, but it looks like its missing. Is he trying to find a new location? Should I just move him now?
  17. GobyWanKenobie

Color Changing Resin Question

My DI resin turned from blue to tan a couple of months before my normal RODI maintenance schedule. After replacing it, I noticed it was blue again after drying in the garbage can. Did I change it too soon? Should I have also changed all my filters and RO membrane? This is the first time I...
  18. GobyWanKenobie

Silica Gel

Is there any reason why I shouldn't use the silica gel packets from my nori to help keep my salt from clumping? I was thinking I could tape a few to the lid.
  19. GobyWanKenobie

Reef Roids

Whenever I use Reef Roids I end up with a brown film on the top of my water, and then an sps frag bites the dust. I run the skimmer, but it's still there, and I have to manually remove it. What am I doing wrong? I thought this product had good reviews.
  20. GobyWanKenobie

SPS - Growth and STN

I have a couple of sps corals that have new growth on the top, but the bottom seems to be slowly receding on one side only. I think it is because of the led lights, but I would like some other opinions. Is there anything I can do?
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back