Search results

1. neptune

Two years old! Vid of my reef as it looks now.

Beautiful. Love the balance in the tank. All that in 2 years? Inspired!
  2. neptune

Water Change station

I would love to see how a auto water change would work? Could you post a video after it is up and running? I switched to pumps when I move to my 180 gallon tank... Its still pretty manuel tho... and what do you do withe the old salt water?
  3. neptune

The Day After a Water Change

looks great! I love the walkthrough
  4. neptune

IMO, How to set up a tank to be immune where the fish never get a communicable disease

Hi Paul, I have crossed the chasm... I did ich free tank for 10+ years. At the same time I was studying your work and following your posts on multiple forums. I started adding in your nutrition and feeding advice by adding in blackworms, oysers, clams, and starting hatching BBS. Then I...
  5. neptune

Finally! Dwarf seahorse babies!

Adorable! I so wanted a sea horses. Do you have a build thread I could read? I am ASSuming species tank? and where did you get the parents from. How are the babies doing?
  6. neptune

Ann. April 21, 2024 7:30PM Member Club Zoom Meeting Guest: Paul Baldassano Owner of a 52 Year Old Reef Tank and Author of The Avant-Garde Marine Aquarist

Hi Paul!! I was at the last meeting face2face IMO better then Zoom. But I am happy to do Zoom thanks you for joining us again. To Boston Reefers I just paid my membership again so I could attend this meeting. (and to trade BTA's) Please confirm you send zoom meeting details right before...
  7. neptune

Where to source Pods / Phyto locally?

I have been adding Phyto and pods to my 180 gallon reef... from algae barn. Anyone have a local source they use? The shipping really adds to the cost? I have 2 mandarins in my tank... and have been doing this for a year... Honestly I still don't see them in my tank.. but I see mandarins...
  8. neptune

My new weapon in the war with RBTAs

Same issue... Will try this... TAKES so long! and some people can't keep them alive.. I can't stop them overtaking my tank! the funny part is my clowns hosted in my leather for YEARS and won't move into one of my 20 BTA's!
  9. neptune

Reefkeeping, Providence Area, & Septic Tanks

I did think dumping salt water down my sink/toilet would kill my septic system? The salt water is corrosive = would ruin septic and that much water down the drain would kill the bacteria that keeps the septic healthy? I currently have a dedicated 100 foot hose and a pump I use to drain the...
  10. neptune

General rule with Anthias

I have 4 lyretail anthias... they were super shy at the beginning... I didn't even think they were eating... I kept them in QT until they gained confidence and starting eating - 3 weeks. I added them to my DT and after a few weeks they really turned into the centerpiece. 1 male / 3 females...
  11. neptune

NYTimes article on people losing their financial minds and throwing money away on expensive hobbies....including reefing!

Trying to make money from your hobby turns your hobby into a job.... and therefore less relaxing IMO. Yes I'm sure still enjoyable... but I am happy with the hobby being a hobby... not my job. It is my time... and honestly the cost over 20 years really normalizes to just eletricity, food, and...
  12. neptune

Mandarin friends…Is this short lived?

My male green mandarin and my female spotted mandarin are friends? Is this short lived? I was going to rehome my green spotted mandarin to my 20 gallon refugium and find her a mate but they look like friends in my 180 reef? Yes I am culturing pods so they should be well fed! This is 2 weeks...
  13. neptune

Sold Magnificent Foxface for sale approximately 6"

I am interested for $120. I don't have any stuff to trade unless you want BTA's : ) He will be the last fish to go into my 180 reef and he needs to coexist with my blue tang, yellow tang and 2 pygmy angels. I think at 6 inches he is big enough... Is he still available?
  14. neptune

Event 2023 Frag Farmers Market | March 4th | 10-4 | E.O. Smith High School | Storrs, CT

OK, count me in... I will find the boston reefers booth!! I did the boston reefers frag swap years ago and true to form the corals I started with from that show is still going great.
  15. neptune

POLL: Is your tank ich free or do you live w/ ich and reduce stressors?

Chris.... so when you get ich what do you do? I am thinking a diatom filter now based on Paul B - To hlep reduce the quantity of free swimmers?
  16. neptune

Paul B's thread

Paul, Why the diatom filter vs the UV sterilizer? Does a UV sterilizer kill all the copods and bacteria that keep your tank healthy? I am changing from an ich free tank (10 years) to ich management... and want to help the fish I have with the transition... Do you think the Diatom filter...
  17. neptune

Yes -I was OP! I was ich free for 10 years :( now I am gonna try ich management. Then moderate a call between Paul b and humble fish. Since I am now doing ich management I was thinking there might be really something to the left sea water and/or the live sand. I was as at the Boston...
  18. neptune

you still going strong? still have a reef in NH? Would love to understand how you add sand / mulm from the beach in NH? Interesting in trying... I am in NH also.
  19. neptune

Ich management for blue tang?

My 180 Reef has ich. I had previously 10 years did TTM for all fish. Then I added some delicate fish that I only QT for 4 weeks. Mandarin, Sasha goby, 2 purple fire fish. Now my blue tang and yellow tang have ich. Has anyone survived this by doing nothing? I am not removing fish and going...
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back