Search results

1. neptune

Where to source Pods / Phyto locally?

I have been adding Phyto and pods to my 180 gallon reef... from algae barn. Anyone have a local source they use? The shipping really adds to the cost? I have 2 mandarins in my tank... and have been doing this for a year... Honestly I still don't see them in my tank.. but I see mandarins...
  2. neptune

Mandarin friends…Is this short lived?

My male green mandarin and my female spotted mandarin are friends? Is this short lived? I was going to rehome my green spotted mandarin to my 20 gallon refugium and find her a mate but they look like friends in my 180 reef? Yes I am culturing pods so they should be well fed! This is 2 weeks...
  3. neptune

Ich management for blue tang?

My 180 Reef has ich. I had previously 10 years did TTM for all fish. Then I added some delicate fish that I only QT for 4 weeks. Mandarin, Sasha goby, 2 purple fire fish. Now my blue tang and yellow tang have ich. Has anyone survived this by doing nothing? I am not removing fish and going...
  4. neptune

Anyone have this experience with BTA's?

So I had an EXPLOSION of BTA's in my 180 reef. I had maybe 75 rose BTAs from one beatiful speciman I purcahsed to house my mated perculas clowns - funny they hosted in a leather coral and have NEVER touched any of the 75 BTA's! After researching the best way to rid myself of this beautiful...
  5. neptune

TTM - shoud I, should I skip this time?

I have a 20 gallon QT/refugium tank. Currently I have 2 baby mandarins (supposively a male/famale pair so tiny hard to tell) an orange spotted goby, and a Diamond spotted goby, and a sasha goby in this refugium / QT tank. The fish are all doing great... it has liverock, pods, and I am feeding...
  6. neptune

Returning Member!

Hi Boston Reefers! I am returning after years of being dormant b/c I am ready to push my boundaries and skill to the next level. I have had fish tanks fresh/FOWLR/softie reef for over 20 years. I now have a 180gallon dream reef build on the rock from the older tanks. I need to investigate...
  7. neptune

What is on my leather coral?

I purchased a leather coral years ago at the frag swap. It was the tiniest little frag and as the seller indicated, everybody has had success growing this leather coral. For years this guy has been the center piece of my tank and my clowns have hosted on him (they ignore the multiple BTAs)...
  8. neptune

fish suggestions for stocking my 180 gallon!

I want to add some new fish to my existing system. Before I make the investment in time & money, and perform Tank Transfer I am looking for recommendations on what you add to my 180 Reef! Existing Fish: Blue Hippo Tang Yellow Tang Flame angel flameback angel Blue spotted puffer Starry Blenny...
  9. neptune

Fragastic Elegance Coral not looking great?

I attended the fragtastic show Sep 22. Thank you!! It was fabulous to see so many reefers and have so many choices for Coral. My 180 tank has room for new coral so I purchased hammer head, torch, and an elegance coral. I *think* they are doing OK but don't look great? the hammer head and...
  10. neptune

Sold SOLD 75 gallon reef for sale - just add water!

My 75 gallon reef is available for sale and pick up. I upgraded to a 180 and moved all LR, fish, and water 4 months ago. Here is what the 75 gallon reef system includes: 75 gallon 4 foot tank All Glass - 4 feet by 18 inches w/ overflow 20 Gallon Sump Reef Ready Oceanic Sump Black wood stand...
  11. neptune

Upgrading ... How long do I wait for the ammonia cycle??

I am combining my 75 gallon reef tank and my 48 gallon reef tank into a single 180 dream tank. I kept all my live rock but decided not to keep my sand and opted for new wet sand - figi pink. The new system is up and running 3 days but I have not seen any ammonia spike. I had thought with all...
  12. neptune

Need to source a builder?

HI guys, I have a beautiful 48 gallon 3 foot bow front tank maker all glass aquarium on a black stand. It has razor leds on it for light. I am looking to buy a canopy for this tank b/c the light throws a reflection on my husband flat screen TV. I have searched and canopies for this tank are...
  13. neptune

Oscellaris clowns found BTA!

Ok finally! I have had 2 oscellaris clowns in a 48 gallon bow front with a BTA. I have been waiting patiently for the clowns to find the BTA! This morning I woke up to find my BTA split!! (not selling any *yet*) but this gave me the oppty to pull out one of the BTA's b/c it was on a small...
  14. neptune

upgrading my 75 gallon to a 180 gallon

I knew this day would come... my blue tang has outgrown his 75 gallon home.... I am looking to start a 180 gallon tank... (BTW my husband thinks it is totally reasonable that I just get rid of the fish! OH NO) I was trying to buy used but it doesn't look good.... as none of the set ups I am...
  15. neptune

What salt mix do you use?

I purchased 150 gallons worth of coralife marine sea salt. After I mixed it... I read that it stes the calcium at 390 / 410 and Mag at 1110 / 1250. I am annoyed b/c I have a reef mostly softies but still that calcium is way low? What salts do you use for reefs? I *think* I will need to...
  16. neptune

Goby campatability...

I am looking to add a barbershop shrimp goby to my 45 gallon reef... can this coexist with a watchman shrimp goby? I like them both.. and have a sand bed.
  17. neptune

Aquacultured fish and disease?

I am rebuilding a 48 gallon reef that crashed in a power outage last year (20 years strong before that!). I have adopted a strict protocol of QT and TT all new fish before they enter my DT's. I am considering only QT the new fish and NOT doing TT & Prazi. I was thinking that if I ordered ONLY...
  18. neptune

Considering rebuilding after the tank crash!

Fellow Reefers... I am weighing my options on restarting my 20 year old tank that crashed while I was on vacation last week. Would like your POV on how best to restart.... What can I salvage? 3 foot bow front tank 50 ish gallons 50 pounds LR / live sand bottom / only survivors starfish on...
  19. neptune

me too A BAD DAY! Suggestions please....

My tank *also* crashed this past week - A very bad day indeed. 3 foot bow front tank 20 years running REEF! My grief is strong... 3 BTAs / mated clown fish / pygmy angel / wrasse / zenia / mushrooms / ++++ I was away on vacation and my in laws came by for daily fish feeding and noticed all...
  20. neptune

help growing pods

I wanted to create a secondary supply of pods for my mandarin. Once this supply is good I want to purchase a female. My sump is not big enough so I set up a separate 20 gallon tank to hold cheato some LR and a basic LED light on top. I have a HOB filter and a powerhead for circulation. I put...
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back