Search results

1. jcl333

New 135 high tech build in Arlington

At the moment I have just one heater. And I was planning on placing it in the sump. It will be connected to and controlled by the Apex, but also have it's own controller set a degree or two higher. I am thinking of getting a second backup heater. -JCL
  2. jcl333

Hello, been busy lately, but I did receive my new AWI RO/DI setup, and I got it with the anti-TDS-creep tank. -JCL
  3. jcl333

Look what arrived today ;-) https://photos.app.goo.gl/zgvv8OavawNfLWBJ2 And the Apex setup arrived a few days ago.... Few more items still in shipment.
  4. jcl333

Help! Bit off more than I could chew

Hehe, I actually decided to go Triton, so my 55RLT is not big enough for a 10x changeover. So I am getting some new Sicce Advanced AC pumps that come out this month. -JCL
  5. jcl333

So, I took advantage of the Black Friday specials and got the following: - Trigger systems Triton 44 sump - Complete Apex setup, with two DOS and two dosing reservoirs, flow sensors, auto-top-off, auto-feeder - Two Tunze 6105 power head w/Apex cable - Hanna checkers for Alkalinity and Phosphate...
  6. jcl333

Another newbie

Heh, I too came from Cichlids and am now doing my first salt/reef tank. I have spent the last 6 months or so in hyper-research mode, I am just now getting ready to start. -JCL
  7. jcl333

Hello everyone, I have a big update. I have been really busy, but also been doing a ton of brainstorming, design, and research since the last update. I would say taken together it is a pretty radical departure from what I was doing.... but I have encountered some really interesting stuff on...
  8. jcl333

Hello everyone, Last Sunday I was able to visit dz6t's place with my family, and I must say it was awesome, he had many more tanks than I was expecting, and everything looked clean and healthy. We also did some chatting of course, at least until my 5-year-old got impatient. I feel really...
  9. jcl333

Sent you a message here, did not want to send a text now in case this is too late at night.
  10. jcl333

Do you have 135lbs? And the same amount of live sand? What do you sell it for? I can ask if that is easier than bringing it down from NH in his truck.
  11. jcl333

That is a bit of an exaggeration, I suppose he would if you wanted to pay for it. I actually don't know how long you should quarantine fish, you might know better than me.
  12. jcl333

And in that case you would not need to quarantine? Used to to that even when I worked at a pet store (thousands of years ago)... we would call the people ordering expensive salt water fish directly and have them come pick them up when they came in. But I don't know what happened from there, if...
  13. jcl333

OK, so if I were to drop by to check it out, do I need to make an appointment with you or something? I would love to show this to the wife and kids.
  14. jcl333

Wow, that is amazing. Is that one image photo-shopped or do you really have something like a 50-foot-long frag tank? Must be a pretty big basement. I hope you don't run afoul of the town for running a business out of your house. And the electric company and water department probably think...
  15. jcl333

Right, I wasn't necessarily talking about using any one of these by themselves. If you change filter socks often enough, it will give you moderately effective removal. Oxidizing organic compounds with ozone sounds simple enough on paper, but practically speaking you are permanently destroying...
  16. jcl333

Hey, be nice. That is totally cool. Not only that, it's 10 minutes up the road for me, I am also on rt 2. Ned Bowers (Uncle Ned's Fish Factory in Millis, well worth the trip) was selling fish out of his basement for years before, from what I hear, his friends made him open a store. He...
  17. jcl333

Oh great, I can't wait to see the Greenpeace people complaining about GMO corals.... Well, they are probably already gluten free depending on what you feed them I suppose ;-)
  18. jcl333

Is this an actual retail place open to the public, or mainly a research laboratory? I am from Cape Cod, and I have done work at Woods Hole Oceanographic and another place called the New Alchemy Institute in Falmouth, mainly in aquaculture. I also worked at a fish store for about 9 years when I...
  19. jcl333

Now see, this is probably my major bone of contention is, and I am not just trying to give you a hard time over sematics. I think you need to be careful to stay away from absolute statements like that. Maybe the only way to "fully" remove them? But I even hesitate with that too, because I can...
  20. jcl333

Did you know that some freshwater fishes release compounds (can't remember if it is hormones or endorphins) that regulate their growth and reproduction, such that they can adjust based on the concentration of those compounds in the body of water they are in. One of the reasons some fish grow...
Back