Search results

1. pokerfish

Maroon clown damaged

I have a maroon clown who has hosted in my huge bubble coral. She hangs out against its underside and her top fin and top part of her body have turned white and seems a bit ragged. Could the coral be stinging the fish and causing some kind of necrosis?
  2. pokerfish

Local crabs?

I suspect this is a dumb question but... Can you acclimate local crabs from Quincy bay to a reef tank? We get tons of little ones as the tide goes out. My guess is that even if they make the temperature change they probably devour corals? Just wondering if anyone has done it or if it’s doable...
  3. pokerfish

Stay the course?

Been over 15 years since I cycled a tank, but after losing my tank to flood last year I'm finally getting my reef back. Mixed new water ( Quincy tap water). new sand (petco. not livesand) and rock that sat dry in a rubbermaid tub for a year. Ran it for a week added bottled bacteria daily and...
  4. pokerfish

Starting over question

Lost my 13 year reef in March 2018 to flood that we are finally back on our feet from. Stored my 54 corner in shed ( empty) And put my rock in Rubbermaid tub ( no water). Just hauled it all out, rinsed the rock and set it back up. New water and salt. It’s been running a week and I’m excited...
  5. pokerfish

Sad day. Need advice

So I just got access to my flooded Quincy home after 2 days and found my 54 gallon corner tank lifeless and cold. Pulled out my bicolor dottyback ( been trying for years but not this way) also one of my two clowns, a coral banded shrimp, and spiny urchin. MIA is my other clown and a dragon...
  6. pokerfish

RODI question

I bought a used generic RODI filter from someone, and want to change the cartridges out. It has three 10 inch canisters, plus the top tube. its my understanding that its a 4 stage system. Here's my question. Bulk reef supply sells a kit to replace the three filters that unscrew.( I'm told the...
  7. pokerfish

You bet your Wrasse!

This just happened last night...I switched all the contents from mt 55 gallon tank to a 54 corner yesterday. I put a new sandbed in the corner tank and, all day yesterday, was tranfering water,rock, and coral and such from tank to bucket, tan to tank, bucket to tank and so on. I snagged my fish...
  8. pokerfish

To paint...or not to paint?

Hi folks, I am in need of your good advice.I am converting my 55 reef tank to a 54 corner. The coner spot in my living room is ideal for viewing, where as the rectangular tank only fits in a spot that you have to get off the couch to enjoy it. I got a great deal from a member and am ready to...
  9. pokerfish

Sea Hare Care

I recently had an outbreak of tough turflike algea most likely caused by old T5 bulbs...i dont overfeed, use distilled water for changes and top offs, and my parameters test 0 for nitrites,nitrates and phosphates. My rocks were overrun with brown gren tufts of thick algea. I purchased a Sea Hare...
  10. pokerfish

92 corner tank restrictions?

So heres my situation...I have a 55 gallon reef tank that is running over 15 months and I love it and am having good success with some mushrooms, gsp, torch coral,bubble coral,duncan, and a colt coral...i have a pair of clowns, a bicolor dottyback, and a foxface...all doing well and I love the...
  11. pokerfish

Feature fish for 55 gallon reef

I have a 55 gallon tank with 2 osc clowns and a bi color dottyback. I have a torch coral and a bubble coral, some zoas and a galaxy coral. Everything is doing great. I have been very patient and it's paying off. My water has been perfect, thanks to bi weekly changes, about 90 pounds of live...
  12. pokerfish

Light color question

Hi all...new to this forum and really like the idea of local folks (I'm in Quincy MA) sharing ideas and forming a community...I could use an experienced opinion as I am a newbie to salt and want to try my hand at a 55 gallon reef....Heres my first question...I just got a 4 bulb 216 watt t5ho...
Back