Search results

1. WoodRiverTroutBum

Fluval Evo 13.5

Any one else in to nano tanks? I recently set up a Fluval Evo as a temporary tank for some fish that came with a tank I recently purchased. This temporary tank quickly turned in to MUCH more. I will post what I have, and what I plan to add below. I welcome any ideas or criticism you may...
  2. WoodRiverTroutBum

Tunze or Neptune ATO

I currently have the Tunze ATO and it is fantastic, but with the 10% off I am wondering if it is worth grabbing the Neptune ATO to incorporate in to my Apex? I have spent enough to make me sick on BRS these past 2 days, then I started looking at the ATO, flow monitoring kit and a second energy...
  3. WoodRiverTroutBum

It has been a while!

I am jumping back in after a LONG break and have a few questions about some things that are new to me, as well as things I may have simply forgotten. First and foremost, this setup is the first time I have ever used a controller and dosing. I know PH probes should be replaced every so often...
  4. WoodRiverTroutBum

BRS 5 Stage

Making my first purchase to get back in to reefing and it will be the BRS 5 stage. I had the 75gpd unit in the past and loved it, was thinking about the 150gpd this time since I planned on buying a float valve for my reservoir anyway. Is there any down side to running double the water volume...
  5. WoodRiverTroutBum

Not new, but slowly coming back

Hey guys, my name is Alex, I am 29 and from Rhode Island. I am not new, but haven't been active in some time but I just upgraded my account and am trying to figure out what exactly I want to do for a reef this time around. I am hoping to buy a house this coming year so I almost decided to hold...
  6. WoodRiverTroutBum

Dollar a gallon

Just a heads up, the sale is on now at Petco.
  7. WoodRiverTroutBum

Rimless

Anyone notice the rimless tanks showing up at Petcos and Petsmarts? I have seen 20H and 25 cubes and the silicone on the ones I have seen looks worse than the ones on the standard tanks I have kicking around. That is all I needed to see to decide to pop the rim off a 20L.
  8. WoodRiverTroutBum

t5 question

I have a 4x 24w Aquaticlife T5ho and I am wondering if it would hurt the ballast or bulb if I removed one of the bulbs and only ran 3 of them. I didn't get much interest trying to sell it so I figured I could use it for my 20 long planted tank but think 4.8w per gallon is a little high. Thanks.
  9. WoodRiverTroutBum

LED dimmer question

I was out running some errands today and although i am going to get a controller for my LEDs I decided to pick up a couple POTS and a power supply. I only bought one power supply because I most likely wont have a use for 1 let alone 2 after I get my controller. I figure at the very least I...
  10. WoodRiverTroutBum

RapidLED

Just received notification that my order has shipped so I thought I would share my experience so far with RapidLED. Let me start by saying that when I spend a good amount of money on an item, I expect great customer service to make me feel good about my decision to go with that brand/company...
  11. WoodRiverTroutBum

Placing LED order today

I was thinking about getting 12 blue, 12 royal blue for one driver and for the other do 4 cool white, 4 neutral white and 4 warm white on the other driver. I was also thinking about throw 2 red on the white driver as well. I was going to do 2 cyan also but they are out of stock and I don't...
  12. WoodRiverTroutBum

1/4" thick enough?

I am going to be building a sump for my tank and the plan is 16x16x16. Half will be a refugium, and then I will have a little more that 25% for the skimmer and a little less for the return. There will be 3 baffles between skimmer and return plus the center divider for the fuge so I am sure...
  13. WoodRiverTroutBum

RO/DI question

Got my new BRS 75gpd plus system all hooked up and my pressure is low at only 32psi. Will running it like this for a couple weeks make much of a difference with my DI resin? I really wont even be making much water in that time anyways. I do realize the system won't be as efficient until I do...
  14. WoodRiverTroutBum

Do I need a new brute can?

I have a brute trash can that I last used to cure some live rock. I rinsed it out well with the hose and left it outside upside down on a pole to dry out. It has probably been out there for 2 weeks now, think it is fine to still use it to store RO/DI water or should I just buy a new one? I...
  15. WoodRiverTroutBum

25g Cube build

Now that I have a little spare cash I supposed it wouldn't hurt to start a build thread. This will be my first build thread and it may be a little slow so please bare with me. I will start with my equipment plans and stocking list and we can take it from there. Tank is a 25 gallon...
  16. WoodRiverTroutBum

Noticed a worm in my tank I have never seen before

Last night before bed I decided to grab the flashlight and check out the tank. To my surprise there was a worm stretched from one rock to another (about 3") and then shrunk back under the rock when I shined the light on it. I tried getting a picture but it is impossible do to its location...
  17. WoodRiverTroutBum

Skimmer for 25 cube

I decided against setting up the 75g sump for my 25 cube and will probably use a 20h as the sump instead. With the smaller water volume I am now at a loss for which skimmer I want. I definitely want a cone skimmer for less than $200. The Bubble Magus Nac3.5 would probably be perfect but even...
  18. WoodRiverTroutBum

Marco rock and coraline

I have some dry Marco rock and the pieces I have for an aquascape that I like a lot. My concern is coraline. I don't think I have ever seen Marco rock encrusted in coraline the way my fiji (I think) rock is. I have a small chunk of TB rock in my tank now as well and that doesn't seem like the...
  19. WoodRiverTroutBum

Best 18" T5ho bulbs?

Hey guys, I am just wondering what the best 18" bulbs are. I would like 1 blue and 1 purple. I am going to get the Odyssea Metal Halide pendant for my cube. Going to change the MH bulb out for a 14,000k phoenix and would like the blue and purple mainly for my dawn/dusk periods.
  20. WoodRiverTroutBum

First MH light, a question and would like some opinions.

I am currently using a 4 bulb t5 and I like it, but think I want to do MH/T5 for my new cube. I am looking at the Odyssea 18" MH with 2 t5 bulbs and moonlights. Anyone have experience with these lights? Is the 15k bulb ok or should I do a 20k? Right now in my T5 I have 2 Aquablue specials...
Back