Search results

1. M

Do you ever get the feeling....

...when the moonlights are on, and you walk up to the tank and all your fish look at you like.... who is this person...... You kinda feel like an absentee landlord looking through the window during family movie night........ so to make this worth your while I thought I'd share something...
  2. M

Nick's Miracle Build

Excellent tank, I like that you have a low light side and high light side for two different groups of corals. Should look awesome when it's filled out. But I have to say.. I wasn't sure what was up with your avitar and name but once I heard your voice.... you really are the turtles kid grown up!!!!
  3. M

Having problems with coral dying

I use lanthanum chloride for phosphate in my tank. It's an option if you don't like the clutter and expense of reactors and media.
  4. M

one of the great questions many people ask.

I have 12 fish in a 75g and feed everyday. Always live white worms and then I rotate pellets, mysis and my homemade blender food.
  5. M

Stocking 72 gallon bowfront

I have a 75g with way more fish in it than that so I see no problem. Just be very careful with how you introduce them. FWIW big fish look stupid in our size tank, it really throws off the balance.
  6. M

Cup of tropic Eden reef flakes or mini flakes

I have what you need in Lowell MA
  7. M

When is Kalk not enough?

I have several colonies, a few mini colonies and a few frags in my 75g sps tank and 10% weekly water changes and saturated kalk in the top off get it done for me. I have a nice kamoer 3 channel doser, but for now all it's used for is vinegar. kalk gets it done!
  8. M

Jebao RW-8 noise (and other options)

I've had several pumps over the years and my rw8's have been the most quiet by far. Regular vortech's are LOUD. You could try a "quietdrive" but chances are you'll hear "something". As an aside I've had my jaeboas for over a year and have had no problems. They get a vinegar bath once every month...
  9. M

Reefers in the Lowell Area??

where in lowell? I'm on Market St
  10. M

tank cycling advice

I would throw in a carefully inspected piece of live rock for diversity and coraline. If you don't you won't have any pods, tube worms or sponges.
  11. M

tank cycling advice

Sounds like a solid plan. Between the mysis cube and whatever's in the pukani rock you should be good. Not much you can do to speed things up unfortunately. Keeping your lights off for a while gives the bacteria an advantage over algae when it comes to using up the nutrients you introduce. Also...
  12. M

Bean overflow questions

It doesn't matter. Maybe if you do the siphon line slightly lower it would level out faster. Mine has the open line slightly lower and it takes a while for it to level down in the overflow. If I was you I would set everything up and test it out before siliconing the outer seems on the box. Small...
  13. M

Where to buy: Hanging wire

the wire from home depot works fine and is 3$.. just get the right gauge...
  14. M

Bean overflow questions

That's what I did. I have a lock line spray bar to the far right on the outside of the overflow. If you go up and over you'd see it sticking out the top of the tank
  15. M

Bean overflow questions

Mine is 24 inches centered on a 75g so not a true coast to coast. Not really a big deal at all not to go full length. You could do yours only a third of the tank if real estate is a concern. And I think 3/4 would be fine actually considering it's only 30 gallons. So with smaller 3/4 elbows you...
  16. M

Bean overflow questions

3/4 will be fine for your siphon but I would stick to one inch for emergency line and open line. The front to back depth should be slightly larger than your 90 deg elbows so you can fit them in. Don't cut the glass until you have the elbows in hand. As far as height mine is flush up top with the...
  17. M

Green Mandarin Dragonet

I have a mated pair in a 75g reef that's less than a year old with <50 lbs live rock. The female I bought from an LFS and was in terrible condition. She had a deeply concave stomach, and her entire skeleton was visible. The male was skinny but not terrible... Now they're both obese and spawning...
  18. M

What's the best butterfly fish or any fish to get to eat aiptasia?

My matted filefish cleaned out my 55g that was completely infested with 1000's of aptaisia of all different sizes. It took him about two months. They're not the prettiest fish but they have a neat way of moving about the tank. FYI Mine bit the all of the "nose-things" off my nassarius snails...
  19. M

Another ICH question

I had an outbreak once and the gramma was the only fish that didn't make it. IME a new fish is going to show signs of stress (ich), but will quickly fight it off in a healthy tank with no treatment necessary.(My tank was new and unstable when the gramma died)
  20. M

Goby/Pistol question?

Mine took over a month to find each other and I never saw the shrimp once until they paired up. Even now the shrimp seals up their cave and I woin't see them for days sometimes.
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back