Dragon pipefish
Stary blenny
Yellow coris wrasse
Male leapord wrasse
Auroa goby
Aussie oyster goby
Random prawn goby

But want to add 1 or 2 wrasse to pop any ideas

Tank size? I like the Mccosker flasher wrasse personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have 22 fish in a 120? One is clown tang and you are asking about adding two more wrasses? I’ll bite my tongue and just recommend you hold off on any more fish...

And how do you keep all of those docile pod eaters and anthias well fed?

How do you keep your nutrients in check?

Last edited:
I saw this post yesterday and quite frankly I was thinking the same thing at Gurumasta. Ive got 14 in my 120. In reefing there's rules of thumb and general guidelines but I don't believe too much is carved in stone. So I'm going to use your post as a learning experience and try to figure out what I can do with my tank if that's alright. How long has your tank been up and running with that bioload and have you had any issues? What Do you run for equipment? How big is that clown tang and how has he behaved in your tank? as far as wrasses I kind of like the Lubbock's wrasse.

I've seen as many as 30 in a 75 with no issues

Was it 30 neon gobies?

I'm not trying to be a fish jedi but I am just saying that they need some space and territory to sleep and chill. Not to mention the bioload issues that will come with 500 fish in a 100 gallon tank.

I have biopellets reactor I run rowaphos I dose red sea nitrate phos remover have feather caulpra and red have I change 60 gallons a week I just tested my phos and its around 0.04 and nitrate is at 5 to 7 ppm tanks been up for 4 years I have 4 mp 10s 250 to 300 pounds of live rock I feed a mix of cycopls my sis shrimp brine shrimp and 2 other and the yellow and clown are not mean at all I have a 8 bulb ati light I use apex and skimmer is 225 not octopus skimmer

My opinion would be no more fish especially a wrasse they can be skittish as well as very aggressive if feels stressed or threatened. I change like 20 gallons a month if I remember and have time with 10 fish in my 120G. 60 gallons a week that becomes pretty expensive (around $3000 using a cheap salt) over four years, but if it’s working for you and happy reefing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm a heavy fish loader myself. Most people would cringe when they see my list of 10 tangs including Powder Blue and Powder Brown and 8 angels and some say it will never work. However, nobody knows your tank better than you. If you feel comfortable of adding the fish you really want, give it a try. Just do your best at keeping up with the feeding which in turn will result in a heavier skimming with bigger skimmer and/or larger and more frequent water change. Water change is one of the best thing you can do in this hobby IMO. Use the cheapest salt(IO) available and do your water change. Change out the GFO and carbon when they're depleted and enjoy those fish. Now, don't go and add all at once. Watch the tank, watch the fish behavior. Make educated judgment on whether if it's do-able.
You also never mention what kind of wrasse you're looking to get. If it's a flasher wrasse, shouldn't be a problem. They usually don't get any bigger than 3". If it's a fairy wrasse, they tend to get a little more bigger and a little shy at first and can be more aggressive. Regardless, the lifespan of these two wrasses is about 3-5 years if the don't jump out of the tank.
If you're looking for the larger wrasses like the Halichoeres and Anampses, then there might be some concern with size, aggression, and your reef.

250 to 300 pounds of live rock

This is actually a problem if they're all in your 120. I'm a fan of natural filtration like liverocks but not in the display where the fish need room to swim. Have enough for the fish to hide and sleep but don't stack it just to have more. Liverocks belongs in your fuge or empty sump section.

I have biopellets reactor I run rowaphos I dose red sea nitrate phos remover have feather caulpra and red have I change 60 gallons a week I just tested my phos and its around 0.04 and nitrate is at 5 to 7 ppm tanks been up for 4 years I have 4 mp 10s 250 to 300 pounds of live rock I feed a mix of cycopls my sis shrimp brine shrimp and 2 other and the yellow and clown are not mean at all I have a 8 bulb ati light I use apex and skimmer is 225 not octopus skimmer

is it really 60 gallons a week water change. I would definitely say my care level is on the othet end of the spectrum 60 gallons might be a year and a half for me.

I have rock in my sump and fuge I do 60 gallon twice a month and 30 twice I used to 60 every week I could always take some rock out I also skim on the wet side I just think I reef tank should I fish and not more coral I think it should b balanced I wish I could just get a house already so I can get a 500 gallon lol that would solve my problems

Back