1200 maxi jets ???

reefer125g

Non-member
Do they still make Maxi Jets 1200 ??? Need one to mix salt and transfer water . Are they under a new name? Is Marineland the same one same Quality?

Last edited:
There are differences between Cobalt and Marineland. One is better built than the other.
Their parts are not exchangeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is true that both are based on the same design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got to agree with Dong and others...they are not the same pump. When Cobalt came out, they kept the original design and manufacturing of the old MJ1200. The Cobalt is made in Italy.

The new Maxijet is made in China and is slightly different. And they are definitely not the same quality. The Cobalt is better.

If you are just using it to mix, it might not be worth it to you to pay extra, but I would.

You can almost buy 2 of the marinelands for one cobalt. I just recently got the marineland for $18 on amazon and i am happy with it.

I bought a Cobalt 400 and a Marineland 400 at the same time for a project. The marineland was 10x as loud and the housing leaked everywhere (I was using it external). I replaced it for another cobalt and it is quiet and doesn't leak.

That being said, If you add a ton of head pressure to either, they both vibrate. I have a cobalt 1200 on my carbon reactor, and I have to make sure the hose or pump doesn't touch the sump because it make a weird resonance.

Last edited:
Hi All,
The Marineland I got said made in Italy, which was where the originals were made. Maybe I got old stock off amazon, guess I was lucky. This is why this site is great. Everyone helping each other!!! If I need another cobalt it is...

I just picked up 3 Marineland mj 1200 on amazon for $45. Read this thread and had to check. They say made in Italy. A little noise at start up then quite.

They should quiet down once the magnetic impeller builds up some bio-film otherwise some vaseline on the magnetic impeller works often as well.

I have to update. Fine print on box said Made in China. I thought I saw made in Italy on it, turns out that was on my old but still running original MJ, 20 plus year old pump. You are all right. New Mj not the same and loud.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back