125 Gallon Reef w/ Bean Animal Overflow Build

Thanks cilyjr. After all of my research, I had it narrowed down to a reactor vs. two-part for some of the reasons you mentioned. However, at least from what I read, it seems like a reactor is challenging and complicated (though a cool piece of equipment/chemistry in action) and can tend to lower pH, when I think what I need is actually to raise pH a bit, since my current pH is typically 8-8.2. With the two-part system I am going with, I don't mind the higher cost of the two-part materials longterm and it should help with the pH issue, etc. Hopefully my logic is reasonable, since all of this is my first go-around.
I'm so excited to learn as I go so I can be the one helping other new reefers down the road.

I use both a reactor and drip kalk at night. Dripping the kalk in the evening helps with the ca and alk demand but also helps combat diurnal ph swings.

Whoa, that's a great idea! Never thought of incorporating both of those. I run my fuge light overnight only to help with the pH swing, but that'd be a great setup with regard to stability, longterm cost, and effectiveness.

Lots has happened to this tank since I last posted; in the interest of relative brevity, here are the main events:
Had two sets of clowns doing well in the tank when I foolishly added a non-quarantined magenta dottyback, who developed what I think was ich (white spots, flashing and scraping on things) very shortly thereafter (presumably already had it and then showed signs under new stress, etc.). Eventually was able to capture all fish and place them in quarantine, treated with cupramine that was confirmed to actually be at more-than-adequate levels (even higher than recommended levels, as tested by with the Seachem test kit for Cupramine) for over a month. Kept my DT tank fallow for the requisite 72 days while the fish remained in QT and did not show obvious signs of illness. Reintroduced the treated fish a few days ago, and sure enough, within a day, the apparent ich was back on the dottyback (AKA Typhoid Mary, ha!)!
My question is as follows: in a nutshell, what to do?!? At this point, the dottyback still shows about one salt-sized white grain on each of its pectoral fins - he/she otherwise seems pretty healthy, active, and is eating well after a 1-2 day hunger strike following tank introduction. Clowns seem fine. Do I pull them from the DT yet again and try to treat again?!? My goal was always to QT and prevent introduction of ich into the DT, and "do things the right way," so to speak. I have a background in and understand disease transmission, etc. well, so I am pretty damn confident I didn't inadvertently reintroduce the ich from my DT. I did, knowing the risk, however, foolishly add non-fish things such as coral, inverts, and chaeto, etc. into the DT during the fallow period without QT (which I don't plan on doing longterm, I have a frag tank that will act as a QT for non-fish items once set up). I realize the fault in doing this with regard to how a fallow period and the life cycle of marine ich works, so my suspicion is that I reintroduced ich via non-fish items that weren't subjected to the requisite fallow period, and maybe this is what did it?
In quarantine elsewhere, I have a flame angel, Helfrichi firefish, and two red mandarins, currently being treated with their first round of PraziPro and they are all eating, so I am at quite-the-crossroads in anticipation of eventually introducing the next round of fish into the tank. Do I pull the DT fish yet again and do everything over, or do I take my chances with presumed colonization of ich for the rest of the life of the DT and just try to "keep it at bay" as many people seem to do with good husbandry and maintaining healthy, well-fed livestock, etc. This becomes realllllly laughable when you read that my eventual dream fish to add to said DT is going to be a powder blue tang! :eek:
Also, regarding my quarantined fish, my lean was to do two rounds of PraziPro and treatment with Cupramine for all fish prior to going into the DT, since flukes and ich very often do not reveal themselves on the fish within the relatively short period of multiple weeks in quarantine. I've read so many of these topics to death, and my belief is that while mandarins are quite resistant to ich, they certainly do contract it and can certainly introduce it into a tank - but I've also read they are quite sensitive to copper, and doing TTM or hyposalinity treatments are not the best options for me at this juncture. Some anticipated comments may include: then why did you buy mandarins in the first place?!? They are currently feeding well on copepods and NutriMar, FWIW.
Many thanks!

That is a biggie
I think if your ultimate goal is to get pbt, definitely quarantine again.
Also , I thought you needed to be fallow for 76 days?

Thanks Chris A. The idea of restarting the whole process for another 10-11 weeks after I just did the whole thing is killing me. Not to mention what to do with the current fish in QT, especially the mandarins who are doing well but I don't think would handle dosing with Cupramine very well...
--> Should I try for PraziPro x2 cycles and Cupramine for at least a month on alllllll of the fish I have: 2 midnight clowns and magenta dottyback from the DT, as well as the flame angel, two mandarins, and Helfichi firefish in QT?
Last time, it took me like 10 days to finally catch the damn dottyback out of the DT alone! :(

Do the saltlike lesions from marine ich typically just stay on a fin for days in a row? The one on its right pectoral fin has been there for several days now.

Already caught the two midnight clowns, who are now in quarantine, still working on catching Typhoid Mary (the dottyback). My main concern is that the dottyback showed signs of infection within hours of reintroduction into the (what should like have been an ichless) DT. What if I treat and QT again for 80+ days and the same thing happens yet again?!?

A while back, I became really discouraged for several months because I was unable to catch that dottyback (see above) despite trying different methods, including the cool glass box fish trap with the trap door. It previously worked great that first time, when I put him in quarantine and completed treatment for marine ich, but on successive attempts, he understandably was much more leery of the trap and I had no luck.

A few months back, I decided to no longer let that break my spirit and I've really gotten back into working on the tank. I installed a ROX carbon/GFO reactor, and am now doing 2 part dosing the Apex-controlled peristaltic pumps, etc. I'm testing my water parameters and making more adjustments. Just replaced a faulty Tunze Turbelle stream and pH probe with good results. With my Dad's help, we also built a water mixing station in my basement and have it attached to a pump with tubing that pumps the water a story up back into my tank. I have things attached to a remote-controlled outlet, so I can remotely turn on and off my pump, etc. from the tank itself (I have other backup systems in place in case this was to fail, etc.). I have a pair of clownfish, a Powder blue tang, a flame angel, etc. thriving and my coral are also starting to grow more rapidly, which is fun.

I just felt motivated to make this post to remind everybody that if you are feeling discouraged by a mishap/issue with your tank, jump back in! With life and hobbies, sometimes that frustration/disappointment is hard to overcome, but when you push through and put in the work, it's so cool to see that the outcomes tend to really change for the better, too! Such an obvious concept, but one that I have to remind myself from time to time, lolol.

My main remaining issue is that I am still very motivated to get the dottyback out, because in news that will surprise nobody, ha, he is a bit of a bully. He leaves my other fish alone, but I was foolish enough to introduce a deepwater candy basslet (look these up if you don't know about them, SO gorgeous, they actually glow in person!), which I'm pretty sure he killed, and I have a small wrasse living in cave crevasses only to sneak out quickly during feeds, because the dotty tries to kill him, too. I am determined to avoid removing the rock work as a solution, but I'd legitimately be willing to pay somebody $200 if they could manage a way to trap this bugger without messing up the rest of my tank while doing so. ANY IDEAS/TAKERS?

Last edited:
@Paul B has caught fish using a fishing hook and a piece of food.

Worth a shot if he is an aggressive eater. Remove the hook and put him in the next tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great idea @aresangel (and @Paul B !). I bought some tiny hooks and fishing line. Now I just have to construct a tank divider, etc. and manage to partition the dotty to one side and all the other fish to the other side, because the dotty is often the 5th fish to get to the food, ha. Fingers crossed...

Great idea @aresangel (and @Paul B !). I bought some tiny hooks and fishing line. Now I just have to construct a tank divider, etc. and manage to partition the dotty to one side and all the other fish to the other side, because the dotty is often the 5th fish to get to the food, ha. Fingers crossed...

One last thing... be sure to remove the barb on the fish hook! You don’t want to tear a hole on the removal. I forgot to mention that before.

Thanks @aresangel ! I bought tiny, non-barbed fishhooks from the get-go, which made preparation a bit easier. I fashioned a makeshift fishing pole with two chopsticks and have rigged it with fishing line and the hook. I also constructed a tank divider that should accommodate my in-tank coast-to-coast overflow, etc. Gonna try going "fishing" in an hour or so, ha. I am praying I can manage to finally catch this guy.

I caught him! :D FINALLY!!! It's funny, @aresangel , just as I was catching the dotty, the thought dawned on me that I should have been filming it, but it was too late. I managed to divide the tank with the majority of the other fish on the other side, and caught the remainder and moved them over. Then it took an hour or so with various baits offered, where he kept taking a look but not biting because things didn't look quite right. Was constantly having to move the bait because my bonded banded coral shrimp pair, etc. were chasing it as well. Just as I was getting close to calling it a day (because I had to head to RI), I finally had just the right chunk on meat on the hook that I allowed to sit on a rock where he hangs out and he gulped it down. The Old Man and the Sea had nothing on me yesterday, that dotty gave me the fight of my life! ;) I've never been more excited to experience that unmistakable feel of when a (tiny) fish has taken the bait and you feel the tugging down on the (makeshift) fishing rod. Just as so many others have described, it was also awesome to see how, immediately, the temperament of the rest of the fish in the tank changed with the dotty out. My poor wrasse, who was relegated into hiding, instantly came out and was cruising around; he's eating like crazy out in the open this morning :)
I took a couple of pics (will try to post them below) of my fishing "equipment," lol, and the end result of the dotty in a bag. Gave him away to a new home, so hopefully everybody wins.

Attachments

• IMG_1259.jpg
    IMG_1259.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 457
  • IMG_1260.jpg
    IMG_1260.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG_1261.jpg
    IMG_1261.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG_1262.jpg
    IMG_1262.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 450
Haha. The story is great! Congratulations on catching that guy from the tank!

Damn small hooks there but sounds like it did the job.

Now where to put him... Auction is coming up

Thanks @aresangel I had a few different-sized hooks, but that seemed to be the best match with the dotty's mouth.

As for his final destination, I gave him away the day I caught him. I could not put him in my QT tank for other reasons, so had no other way to keep him around. That being said, I'm always happy to donate to the BR cause. I have some spare equipment hanging around, as well as lots of nice pulsing xenia, etc. that I'm happy to give away.

Back in the days when I was younger and could see much better, I used to be a fly fisherman and would tie usable flies on those tiny little hooks! Congratulations on catching the fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great job! Little devil will hopefully be more compatible in his new home.

Back