180 in wall rebuild

I can't wait for the foam to get some coraline on it so it will blend in but that's months out.

now things have been running for a while the diatoms have calmed down and the tank just looks good so i am happy i did what i did. been running uv 24/7 lately but was thinking on switching to maybe a 12 hour period. anyone have thoughts on this?

i could do it overnight or in hour chunks however. the light is in the apex so i can turn it off or on whenever.

now things have been running for a while the diatoms have calmed down and the tank just looks good so i am happy i did what i did. been running uv 24/7 lately but was thinking on switching to maybe a 12 hour period. anyone have thoughts on this?

i could do it overnight or in hour chunks however. the light is in the apex so i can turn it off or on whenever.
WOW what a awesome setup can you post current picks of the display ? leave the uv on, if you shut it off at this point it doesn't make sense, because you haven't had any live stock additions. UV will keep your water clear, I wouldn't stop even with the addition of live stock.

Wow Chris - it is going to be wonderful! Love the thought and organization you are putting into it.

Where are the pictures? C'mon, you can post an update without posting pictures on a tank build thread. :D

Fts 11-25-15

Some chalice (I don't know fancy coral names)

Pavona

Derasa clam about 9 to 10 inches

Nem rock rose btas and flower nems at base

Very nice!! Very jealous of your powder brown tang. I really want a powder blue or brown tang. They're some of the best looking fish.
How does the swallow tail and butterfly fair with the corals?
The chalice is a strawberry field chalice. Very nice! I have a huge piece of it

I had a powder blue as well but he didn't survive the the redo. He swam close to a pump with no guard.

The butterfly and swallow tail have been coral friendly when I was still well stocked with coral. The angel I've had for about 3 years and the butterfly for maybe 2.

Guess you can be my new "fancy" coral reference :)

That's a very good aquascape, when it grows and matures the arch will look awesome !!! And the nem Rock is Crazy too I love that

Last edited:
That's a very good aquascape, when it grows and matures the arch will look awesome !!! And the nem Rock is Crazy too I love that

Thanks I think so. The whole thing is much more stable with the epoxy coat.

The Nem rock I've had for years but had never found a good spot for it.

Sometime I just make up it. :D

They all do. I'll just go with your names. People always ask me when they come over and a typical response from me is "I dunno some stylo". They seem disappointed.

So my Rodi goes to my top off reservoir. It has a float valve AND I turn it on and off manually via the apex. Though I was thinking of adding float switches and a breakout box to to have the Rodi turn off and on automatically. Have a switch near the top for off and one near the bottom for off. In addition the line splits to fill a salt mixing barrel this would need a switch too. All switches would be in addition to the valves for extra safety

What am I not thinking of?

my swallowtail angel died. i have no idea why. everyone else seems fine. wonder if i should be worried.

410, 8.5dkh. 1050, .02 po4. 0.5 nitrate

new fts today. water is a touch cloudy due to the clam jetting out water and kicking up some dust.
fts 1-20-15 by cilyjr, on Flickr

also I've talked to a few about my ghetto but clear mesh top frames. they are just cut acrylic with the mesh sandwiched between them. I built them because I replaced my braces with clear but still had the aluminium frames from window screens causing shadow. So I built these. the middle has a glass panel that is partially painted black for the overflow. I suppose I could replace all this with a screen more like the one on the left at some point.

20160122_162838 by cilyjr, on Flickr

the cup for my auto feeder there is an acrylic that extends to just below the waterline so food will not go anywhere until it starts to sink to avoid going over the overflow the screen tops fit right up to it. the black mesh is plastic gutter guard sandwiched between acrylic (like the screens were made) to keep jumpers in the tank. fish spend a lot of time near here.

20160122_162626 by cilyjr, on Flickr

Ok so I was getting bored again and was thinking of breaking down. But I think instead I'm going to get rid of acropora. I will replace with interesting stylos, birds nest, pocilliporas, and pavona. I'll be looking for trades soon. if you have stuff that I listed above and are interested in some mid to high end acros I have we can talk

Back